Spinning Tapes at California Audio Show July 26-28, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning Tapes at California Audio Show July 26-28, 2019

I'll be helping out my friend and spinning tapes at his room at the CAS in Oakland (Airport Hilton Hotel) July 26-28. The room (Board Room 3) will feature Martin-Logan speakers, Doshi electronics, and Scott Rust (512 Engineering/Marutani) cables and power supply. The main signal source will be Tim's Ampex ATR-102 with Doshi tape prepro which I will be playing, and a Berkeley Reference 3 DAC for digital playback. The focus will be on tapes. We will have tapes from Tape Project, Ultra Analogue Tapes (Ed Pong) and International Phonograph Inc. (Jonathan Horwich) and some of my safety masters and other goodies. We will be doing mostly 1/2" tape. Should be lots of fun. As a special treat, at the end of Saturday, Reference Recordings' Keith Johnson will be joining us at 5PM for two hour Q/A and demo. Looking forward to seeing AN members.

Larry
    Last edited by astrotoy; 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM.
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Wow sounds like it’s going to be a blast!

Any chance you could record Keith’s Q&A session and post it?!?!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I'll see whether I can record it (don't have mikes for the ATR-102, but maybe my iphone will work). Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
        As a special treat, at the end of Saturday, Reference Recordings' Keith Johnson will be joining us at 5PM for two hour Q/A and demo.
        Larry, can you please ask him if he would consider recording to R2R again and why is RR cutting LP’s from digital masters if (and when) analogue masters still exist? Would love to see AAA Reference Recordings LP’s again...
        Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

I'll see whether I can record it (don't have mikes for the ATR-102, but maybe my iphone will work). Larry
          Thanks, think if are close enough phone will be fine.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
            Larry, can you please ask him if he would consider recording to R2R again and why is RR cutting LP’s from digital masters if (and when) analogue masters still exist? Would love to see AAA Reference Recordings LP’s again...
            Agreed.

The story Jan Mancuso of RR told me:

Keith is a perfectionist and would more than likely need to cut several lacquers per side to get one that is perfect. But Keith because of the age of his master tapes (most, if not all, I was told are luckily on Scotch) wants to limit the number of times the masters are played ergo one pass with digital vs ? number of spins for an analog master. Or one pass to a running master for The Tape Project. (That is the best way to hear his recordings anyway.)

Plus since his tape machine is one of a kind, Keith would have to lug his tape machine (say to Kevin Gray’s) somewhere to cut the lacquer.

But yes it would be nice to hear say Kevin cut the RR masters since I don’t think the original LPs do justice to the recordings. Comparison to TTP tapes show that.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Paul Stubblebine of Tape Project will be in the room on Friday and I will ask him about cutting the RR lacquers from digital. Paul has been cutting the lacquers for all the recent RR releases as well as making the one-inch running masters from the original tapes for Tape Project releases. I can follow up with Keith on Saturday.

Of course, many of the recent vinyl releases on RR have come from digital recordings that Keith did (with no tape version).

Larry

Comment

I'll be helping out my friend and spinning tapes at his room at the CAS in Oakland (Airport Hilton Hotel) June 26-28.
                Maybe, 7/26-28?

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

• astrotoy
                  astrotoy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, yes. As in the title of the thread. Larry

Larry, have you asked Keith about recording to R2R again? BTW, haven’t seen a new RR LP in months...
                Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Larry, have you asked Keith about recording to R2R again? BTW, haven’t seen a new RR LP in months...
                  Didn't ask Keith. I think it is unlikely. I told him I had a complete collection of his vinyl issues from the analogue era (including some of the records that RR issued before Keith started with them (his first recording was RR7). He told me to keep them, since some may be in better condition than some of his original tapes! (I didn't pursue that, but I am speculating that some of the originals may have been made on Ampex tape from the dreaded SSS era.) It has been over 20 years since he did his last R2R recordings. I think he stopped about the time when the Pacific Microsonics Model Two was released (that he and Pflash Pflaumer developed) and which Keith is still using to do his recordings. It goes up to 192/24 (which I use to rip my vinyl and tapes with mine). Someone asked him why he uses 176/24 on his recordings and he replied that it is an even multiple of 44, so it is simple to down convert to the CD rate.

Paul Stubblebine brought along several mix tapes he made for the show of Tape Project releases (on 1/2" copied directly from the 1" running masters he makes to produce the Tape Project tapes that you can buy.) They included excerpts from four of the Reference Recordings albums (Arnold Overtures, Exotic Dances, Respighi Church Windows and Nojima Liszt Piano) . There are two more (Copland Appalachian Spring and Mozart Piano Concerti). There may be a few more in the future. Two of them, Exotic Dances and Mozart Piano Concerti were never released on vinyl in the analogue days, only CD. I think they and several of the others have again been released on vinyl, remastered by Paul. IIRC, all the remastering has been done from the digital masters, including more recent RR releases which only exist in digital masters. However, all the Tape Project tapes were done from the analogue masters.

I haven't kept up with the RR recent vinyl releases. Sean Martin of RR was there with his mom Marcia (Keith's wife) selling RR records and CD's at the show in their booth. I saw a couple of titles that I hadn't seen before, but I don't know how recent they are. I will email Sean and ask about any recent or scheduled releases.

Larry

Comment

Marcus, I had dinner with Keith again tonight and asked him your question about recording with R2R again. He said that his machine is still in great condition. However, the problem is that the recording schedules with the orchestras and studios are so tight, they literally do not have the time for all the set up and alignments necessary to change tapes. Also everyone is doing microediting, so splicing tape for such small edits is just about impossible. (I know that when I was interviewing one of the Decca recording engineers for my Decca book, he said that he really liked going over to digital because of the ease and precision of editing.)

About the RR Vinyl, Sean Martin of RR was also at the dinner and I asked him. He said they are continuing to release vinyl. In fact, almost all new recordings they are releasing are also being done in vinyl. There has been some slow down in the releases because of the pressing plant backups, but they are continuing with vinyl. He said to check their current catalogue.

Here is Keith tonight, autographing my original (from the late '70's) copy of one of his first recordings for Reference. Professor Johnson's Astounding Sound Show, which was one of the earliest TAS Superdiscs. Larry

Comment

• Marcus
                      Marcus commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Larry! I was expecting such answer but at the same time quietly hoping for their return to the pure analogue recordings. Too bad those beautiful analogue equipment is only collecting dust...
                  Working...
                  X