Breaking Axpona Reel-to-Reel News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Axpona Reel-to-Reel News

Just in from Michael Varmos of Gamut USA.

Among the new toys Gamut will be bringing to Axpona is a reworked Studer B62 (new caps, internal wiring, etc.) deck replete with a new playback circuit board designed by their Chief designer Benno Baun Meldgood. This new board, in addition to the Studer, works with all tape decks to improve their sound. Meldgood is also working on record electronics intended for use in the professional realm. At least one audiophile label has heard the new Gamut electronics and was very favorably impressed.

In addition, Meldgood has been working with both Balfinger and Horch House/Revox on their internal electronics. All Axpona attendees are invited to the Gamut room for an after hour listening session to their system with Studer deck. Among the tapes they will be playing will be a copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall. Sounds like some fun after hours listening session with UHA and Gamut!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Do I understand correctly. The "Playback Board" is another tape preamp? Look forward to learning more.
    [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by RoadDawgWest View Post
      Do I understand correctly. The "Playback Board" is another tape preamp? Look forward to learning more.
      Not sure but think it is a board that goes inside the tape deck. But only guessing.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadDawgWest View Post
        B62 uses 5 modular audio cards or "boards".- 2 for playback.2 for recprd and 1 for bias. These are btw identical to those in the A80R/RC families and easily interchangeable. This may finally be a viable alternative to the old Mark Levinson ML5 setup.

Although the B62 is a pig to work on and maintain and a helluva lot less tape friendly ,it has a slightly unique lively and punchy sound that I on some days actually prefer to that of the A80

Comment

Studer compact machines through the years

Left to right

A/B 62 1964 to 1974. Subject of the Gamut project

A/B 67 1975 to 1984. The Horch House Project

A 810 . 1984 and onwards

IMG_0187 by jdza, on Flickr

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! You're such a great tape resource!

I may have shared this on some other thread. John Dunkerley gave me copies of the session sheets of one of the great albums he engineered for Lyrita (which were all done by Decca engineers), the Lyrita SRCS109 Arnold Dances, one of the top listings in the TAS Super Disc List. You can see that he used two Studer B62's in the session, with NAB EQ and Scotch 206 tape. Just about all of the Decca classical albums of that era were mixed in real time to two tracks, so you get what the engineer recorded at the session, not a later remix. You can see also that John used the standard "Wilkie" version of the Decca tree with 3 M50 mikes, and 2 additional M50's as out riggers, with several spot mikes for different parts of the orchestra.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

You forgot to mention Dolby A encoding on the Lyrita Arnold tape. All Decca recordings from 1967 were Dolby A encoded(stretched) as well as the 70s era Lyrita recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by U47 View Post
              You forgot to mention Dolby A encoding on the Lyrita Arnold tape. All Decca recordings from 1967 were Dolby A encoded(stretched) as well as the 70s era Lyrita recordings.
              Thanks, Rich. Welcome to Audionivana. What do you use to decode Dolby A? Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Hi Larry
                I use an original Dolby Labs all discrete A-301 to decode my A "stretched" tapes. Restoration involved
                replacing over 100 tired capacitors. The first 100 A301s went to Decca who had a one year exclusive use of the A type noise reduction system.

I think my serial number is 57. My two channel 301 is the size of many power amps! The later 360/361
                used chips(cat 22) and are a fraction of the size of the 301.

R

Comment

Originally posted by U47 View Post
                  Hi Larry
                  I use an original Dolby Labs all discrete A-301 to decode my A "stretched" tapes. Restoration involved
                  replacing over 100 tired capacitors. The first 100 A301s went to Decca who had a one year exclusive use of the A type noise reduction system.

I think my serial number is 57. My two channel 301 is the size of many power amps! The later 360/361
                  used chips(cat 22) and are a fraction of the size of the 301.

R
                  Thanks, Rich. I assume that the A-301 sounds better than the 360/361. Larry

Comment

Just learned from Chad that Acoustic Sounds' next two tape releases, the RCA Living Stereo recordings of Reiner and the CSO performing Scheherazade and The Pines of Rome, will ship in 2-3 weeks. Chad went back to for these releases, RCA's original three track master tapes and then made a new 30 ips 2-track running master. Axpona attendees will have a chance to hear these storied recordings for the first time ever on 15 ips tape next weekend!

Comment

And now shipping!!! Now there's a few AN members drooling at the thought! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3059.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	51237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3060.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	51238

Comment

• RoadDawgWest
                        RoadDawgWest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Tomorrow they land, but probably will not get to listen to hem until Sunday.

• Rob
                        Rob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        C, subscriber orders get filled first, non-subs get filled in the order they were placed.depends on where you sit in the queue.

• astrotoy
                        astrotoy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday). Larry

You heard it here first. TEAC will be showing a new reel-to-reel tape machine at Munich. No further details available.

Comment

• Tapetech
                        Tapetech commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Perhaps an updated version of the BR20?

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        RDW: exactly my thoughts too. What would it take for Technics to make a new machine? Certainly Technics can't be oblivious to what's going on and they are making a push into high-end audio too.

• Tapetech
                        Tapetech commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Technics may be too old to bring back. As in it's been out of production for too long. On the other hand, Teac still stocks many BR20 parts and likely still has all the blueprints and even the same facilities/equipment to make new ones.

Hi folks,

Will also be spinning some tapes on my Cellovox (Stellavox with K/C electronics) in the Audio Note rooms from time to time. Expect first to be around 3PM on Fri - we'll see about Sat. Love to see you

Charlie King

Comment

Originally posted by stellavox View Post
                      Hi folks,

Will also be spinning some tapes on my Cellovox (Stellavox with K/C electronics) in the Audio Note rooms from time to time. Expect first to be around 3PM on Fri - we'll see about Sat. Love to see you

Charlie King
                      I hope to see you there Charlie.
                      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Working...
                      X