2017 Axpona Report and Pictures Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Axpona Report and Pictures Day 2

Today was pretty much of a washout for me. There was essentially no AC in the hotel today and I had to leave the show by 2 PM because was ill from the heat. People either didn't turn the AC on the room in the quest for better sound and/or the hotel was having issues. Someone said that the ac would be too noisy if they turned it up enough to cool the room. Duh-oh. So the alternative to sit their and die from the heat was better?

Plus one exhibitor decided to school me on mono records. All I wanted to do was hear a couple of my albums and move onto the next room. It was one mono album followed after another. Finally after 45 mins of pontificating and promising just one more record and they would play something I brought, I had enough and left. The worst part was 1) these mono albums were HORRIBLY (something wrong with the setup of their mono cartridge or the albums were played to death?) distorted and giving me an Excedrin headache #155 (how they didn't hear this is beyond me) and 2) if they really wanted to play these mono records they should have had a phono stage with adjustable equalization. I'd bet that all but one of these mono albums was non-RIAA.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

So some pictures from today starting with the Daedulus/Mod Wright/VPI/Skogrand room
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7940.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	51769

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0036.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	51766
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0035.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	51767

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Gusf
      Gusf commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like that table. Beautiful!

German Physiks/Merrill Audio/VPI

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0042.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	51772Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	51771Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0037.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	51773Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	51774

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Note the new VPI Fatboy arm in the bottom picture.

B&O speakers.

Heard them with the Rebecca Pigeon Spanish Harlem cut. Left. Not quick enough.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0050.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	51778

Comment

MBL/UHA/SMT Room

Tape rules!

Name:	DSC_0053.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	51783
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0054.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	51780
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0056.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	51781
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0058.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	51782

Comment

• Bruce B
        Bruce B commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet this place was rocking!!

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Today was pretty much of a washout for me. There was essentially no AC in the hotel today and I had to leave the show by 2 PM because was ill from the heat. People either didn't turn the AC on the room in the quest for better sound and/or the hotel was having issues. Someone said that the ac would be too noisy if they turned it up enough to cool the room. Duh-oh. So the alternative to sit their and die from the heat was better?

Plus one exhibitor decided to school me on mono records. All I wanted to do was hear a couple of my albums and move onto the next room. It was one mono album followed after another. Finally after 45 mins of pontificating and promising just one more record and they would play something I brought, I had enough and left. The worst part was 1) these mono albums were HORRIBLY (something wrong with the setup of their mono cartridge or the albums were played to death?) distorted and giving me an Excedrin headache #155 (how they didn't hear this is beyond me) and 2) if they really wanted to play these mono records they should have had a phono stage with adjustable equalization. I'd bet that all but one of these mono albums was non-RCA.
      And people complain they don't play enough 'real music' at shows, not only was it real but REAL bad mono to boot (i've got nothing against mono LPS, btw). I've worked a CES for a friend who asked that I spin the vinyl, I made sure we played all the audiophile chestnuts of the day. my take is that shows are for selling sound, save the mediocre sounding records for yourself and friends after hours and at home,.
      TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARM Graham Phantom III | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Lyra Etna SL | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

Comment

Classic Audio Reproductions/Atma-sphere/Kuzma

Almost missed this Studer 810 tape machine. Plus finally got to meet tapehead Leslie Brooks.

Name:	DSC_0061.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	51788Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	51787Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0062.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	51789

Comment

Name:	image_7954.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	51792Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7955.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	51793Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0068.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	51796
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0070.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	51797
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0067.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	51798
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0069.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	51799
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0066.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	51794
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0064.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	51795
          Some photos from the Paragon Sight and Sound room with Doshi electronics, Yvette speakers and Brinkmann table. In addition, the tape transport was Chris Mara's modded machine feeding a Doshi tapestage. His all in one tape machine will go for $8000.

Comment

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Myles, does the $8000 for the Chris' machine include the Doshi? Thanks, Larry

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            No that is for just the machine plus what Chris has done for the stock electronics. But it's great for someone looking for a turnkey approach. Plug and play and the machine also comes with support too.

Doshi with the Mara Machine is better (I was able to switch between electronics one night courtesy of Nick) but the stock electronics are no slouch. Little less bass extension, not quite the magic of tubes. But a great starter machine and Chris has really worked on reducing the noise of the transport that we all heard at RMAF. Can't say I really noticed it during playing.

Magico/CH-Precision/Kronos/Int. Phonograph Inc.

Name:	DSC_0072.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	51802Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0073.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	51801Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0074.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	51803

Comment

AAaudio/Wilson-Benesch/Thales/Ikeda/Ypsilon
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0080.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	51805
            Click image for larger versionName:	DSC_0075.JPGViews:	1Size:	2.16 MBID:	51806

Comment

Karan Audio/Penaudio/Goldmund. Surprisingly good on the one cut that I heard that I knew.

Name:	DSC_0087.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	51810Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	51808Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	51809

Comment

Mod Wright/Daedulus/VPI
                Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0092.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	51812

Comment

Herron Audio/VPI

Name:	DSC_0094.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	51816Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0095.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	51817Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0093.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	51815

Comment

Some pics from the after hours tape wine and cheese party sponsored by Paragon Sight and Sound Audio.

Name:	DSC_0097.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	51819Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	51820Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0100.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	51821Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0103.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	51822Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0104.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	51823

Comment

Pretty good show pics. Thanks for posting. Bummer on the AC
                      Speakers: Rockport Lyra
                      Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
                      Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus speaker and interconnects
                      Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
                      Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
                      Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
                      Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

Working...
                      X