2017 Axpona Report and Pictures Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Today was pretty much of a washout for me. There was essentially no AC in the hotel today and I had to leave the show by 2 PM because was ill from the heat. People either didn't turn the AC on the room in the quest for better sound and/or the hotel was having issues. Someone said that the ac would be too noisy if they turned it up enough to cool the room. Duh-oh. So the alternative to sit their and die from the heat was better?

Plus one exhibitor decided to school me on mono records. All I wanted to do was hear a couple of my albums and move onto the next room. It was one mono album followed after another. Finally after 45 mins of pontificating and promising just one more record and they would play something I brought, I had enough and left. The worst part was 1) these mono albums were HORRIBLY (something wrong with the setup of their mono cartridge or the albums were played to death?) distorted and giving me an Excedrin headache #155 (how they didn't hear this is beyond me) and 2) if they really wanted to play these mono records they should have had a phono stage with adjustable equalization. I'd bet that all but one of these mono albums was non-RIAA.
    It actually started getting warm in the rooms on Friday. I knew by Saturday morning when we saw the very large crowds that had gathered before the show started the rooms were going to be jimmy-jammed packed with people. That means even more BTUs in each room. I couldn't even get into the Paragon's main room on Friday because there was a line out the door and since I was born with zero patience and it has gotten worse since I have gotten older (I'm now at -0 patience), I never did get in.

When you think about it, sitting in a hotel room listening to a strange system with strange people is a bizarre way to try and hear/evaluate stereo gear. Oh, and I lost count of how many rooms weren't open when they should have been because they couldn't get their digital gear working.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      Patience? I remember dabbling with it years ago.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I never got in the big Paragon room either. They were playing in 30 mins segments and was hard to take time out of my busy schedule to get there as much as I wanted to.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Today was pretty much of a washout for me. There was essentially no AC in the hotel today and I had to leave the show by 2 PM because was ill from the heat. People either didn't turn the AC on the room in the quest for better sound and/or the hotel was having issues. Someone said that the ac would be too noisy if they turned it up enough to cool the room. Duh-oh. So the alternative to sit their and die from the heat was better?

Plus one exhibitor decided to school me on mono records. All I wanted to do was hear a couple of my albums and move onto the next room. It was one mono album followed after another. Finally after 45 mins of pontificating and promising just one more record and they would play something I brought, I had enough and left. The worst part was 1) these mono albums were HORRIBLY (something wrong with the setup of their mono cartridge or the albums were played to death?) distorted and giving me an Excedrin headache #155 (how they didn't hear this is beyond me) and 2) if they really wanted to play these mono records they should have had a phono stage with adjustable equalization. I'd bet that all but one of these mono albums was non-RIAA.
    I was in this room when Myles was there. It was absolutely silly that the reps working this room kept looking for ways to play awfully sounding stuff when Myles offered some outstanding vinyl. They should know better, a reviewer seldom (if ever) would give anyone room 45 minutes in the middle of the day.

Comment

Working...
    X