2017 Axpona Show and Report: Day 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Myles,

May I conclude from your comments on Doug White's set up that you liked what the Tidal Akira loudspeakers were doing, albeit the bass was (in some respects) not (fully?) convincing? But I believe it is the other way round, right: you actually liked the bass performance?

What I in particular like/love about the diamond range of the Tidal loudspeakers - the Akira and the La Assoluta - is the total absence of grain. These transducers sound in my view very 'pure'. What this noticeble at the Axpona show as well?

Btw, thanks for all your Axpona 2017 comments and pictures.

Comment

Great coverage, Myles. I missed so many rooms so I'm very grateful for all the photos and comments!
      Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, darTZeel 18NS, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1,CH Precision P1, Schiit Yggdrasil, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
        Hello Myles,

May I conclude from your comments on Doug White's set up that you liked what the Tidal Akira loudspeakers were doing, albeit the bass was (in some respects) not (fully?) convincing? But I believe it is the other way round, right: you actually liked the bass performance?

What I in particular like/love about the diamond range of the Tidal loudspeakers - the Akira and the La Assoluta - is the total absence of grain. These transducers sound in my view very 'pure'. What this noticeble at the Axpona show as well?

Btw, thanks for all your Axpona 2017 comments and pictures.
        No I actually liked the low end.

And yes, that "purity" was evident at the show.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

So, would you go to an air-conditioning convention and expect good sound? I don't know how you do it, Myles. I can do a hit and run on some shows, like audio and records, but I lose my shit with crowds, and frankly, get bored pretty fast. Covering the ground for the benefit of readers is much appreciated, but I gotta believe you leave these things pretty wasted. (And I'm not talking about substances). Then, you get to jump on a plane to relax.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I love seeing the people and manufacturers at shows. Being an old timer, get to know so many of the people in the industry at a little more than surface level. Curiously, I found out I was unbeknownst to me, a youtube.com star. An attendee walked up to me at the show and said I've seen you on youtube!

But yes, I do leave shows pretty wasted.

Thanks for all the super photos of the rooms, the gear and the comments Myles!

Comment

Many thanks for the great reports, especially given the tough conditions.

Comment

Any word on ps Audio's room from anyone ?
              analog stuff.
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
              sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
              thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
              kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
              phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
              speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
              mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
              digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Nice reports Myles and some great photos
                Hi-Fi
                Wilson Audio Yvette Speakers - McIntosh Labs MA8000 - Mytek Brooklyn DAC + PSU - dCS Network Bridge - Cyrus CDi Player - Clearaudio Concept Wood Turntable, Concept MC Cartridge - Nordost Quantum Q4 - Chord Cables Signature USB - Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker cables - Transparent Power cables - GIK Acoustic Panels...

Headphone Listening
                Audeze LCD-XC Headphones - Audeze iSine10 In Ear - Schiit Audio Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier - Meridian Explorer2 DAC - AXIOS Cables...

Comment

Never a good sign when one gets no replies lol.
                  analog stuff.
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                  sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                  thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                  kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                  phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    Topping off the arm is the $6K Phasemation PP2000 moving coil cartridge formely known as Phasetech.
                    $5,550
                    check the equipment sales section to see a little celebration offer around Phasemation (for PNW folks only)

Regards,

Erik
                    http://solypsa.com
                    North American distributor for:
                    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
                    STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

Working...
                    X