Some Additional Show Comments!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Additional Show Comments!

Well , I had only one day at the show and that was simply not enough... I had to bed in the show with a trip to the city so the whole family could have fun.

Positives,
    • Nice to meet Myles , Andre Jennings and for the life of me one other Audionirvana member that I can't remember ( my apologies! ) Saturday morning.
    • Sat in on Fremer's turntable set up demo, pretty rudimentary- but he was entertaining and had some good stories. Also sat in on the subwoofer - room interface seminar with Houdas - that was a bit simple as well with lots of bits left out if you didn't know it. It was ok none the less.
    • Lots of variety in top end and some esoteric equipment
    • Most of the exhibitors were friendly and accomodating
    • Got to speak with some designers and manufacturers directly- pretty cool
    • Good marketplace set up with lots of vinyl and Acoustics Sounds had tape as well as some others
    • Lots of tape if you were so inclined... I am just beginning with with my Otari and de Haviland on the way but if you were into tape more of it here than I have ever seen in a show for 30 years.
    Negatives,
    • No real stand outs for me- expectations not met in most rooms and the bigger they were the harder they fell- there were a few unexpected gems that I heard though
    • I won't mention one room by a major sponsor with nice folks but way to plummy and polite
    • Too packed but my fault for trying to jam a 3 day show into 1 day. I missed lots.
    • Yes the rooms were hot... typical of high end shows that have crappy in room PTAC units or noisy air handlers that were shut off to preserve silence-- such that it was.
    • Probably my biggest beef was in the software marketplace regardless of vendor- they were all selling at the list internet price... only if you asked would you get the current 15% off discount as on the web--(& on web deals they offer free shipping). I flipping hate stuff like that. Very opportunistic. I appreciate the grief and time to set up but if your going to sell at the show you should be matching your published rates online ---- or change them or ask to print a coupon or skill testing question etc... I was really a turn off. So I asked and was reluctantly offered the pricing and brought home 50lbs of vinyl and tape that the TSA guard said ".... you like hiss & ticks huh?" They couldn't believe I was using vinyl and tape!

Would I go back? ----sure it was big enough that I surely missed lots and I could pick up on that the next time.
    Last edited by kcin; 04-24-2017, 10:59 PM.
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Nice. Good to hear your thoughts.
    50 lbs of software ! Happy listening.
    chris

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
      Well , I had only one day at the show and that was simply not enough... I had to bed in the show with a trip to the city so the whole family could have fun.

Positives,
      • Nice to meet Myles , Andre Jennings and for the life of me one other Audionirvana member that I can't remember ( my apologies! ) Saturday morning.
      • Sat in on Fremer's turntable set up demo, pretty rudimentary- but he was entertaining and had some good stories. Also sat in on the subwoofer - room interface seminar with Houdas - that was a bit simple as well with lots of bits left out if you didn't know it. It was ok none the less.
      • Lots of variety in top end and some esoteric equipment
      • Most of the exhibitors were friendly and accomodating
      • Got to speak with some designers and manufacturers directly- pretty cool
      • Good marketplace set up with lots of vinyl and Acoustics Sounds had tape as well as some others
      • Lots of tape if you were so inclined... I am just beginning with with my Otari and de Haviland on the way but if you were into tape more of it here than I have ever seen in a show for 30 years.
      Negatives,
      • No real stand outs for me- expectations not met in most rooms and the bigger they were the harder they fell- there were a few unexpected gems that I heard though
      • I won't mention one room by a major sponsor with nice folks but way to plummy and polite
      • Too packed but my fault for trying to jam a 3 day show into 1 day. I missed lots.
      • Yes the rooms were hot... typical of high end shows that have crappy in room PTAC units or noisy air handlers that were shut off to preserve silence-- such that it was.
      • Probably my biggest beef was in the software marketplace regardless of vendor- they were all selling at the list internet price... only if you asked would you get the current 15% off discount as on the web--(& on web deals they offer free shipping). I flipping hate stuff like that. Very opportunistic. I appreciate the grief and time to set up but if your going to sell at the show you should be matching your published rates online ---- or change them or ask to print a coupon or skill testing question etc... I was really a turn off. So I asked and was reluctantly offered the pricing and brought home 50lbs of vinyl and tape that the TSA guard said ".... you like hiss & ticks huh?" They couldn't believe I was using vinyl and tape!

Would I go back? ----sure it was big enough that I surely missed lots and I could pick up on that the next time.
      No problem. I'm pretty forgettable.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• kcin
        kcin commented
        Editing a comment
        So sorry mep!

Is software the new phrase for digital formats ?
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

• kcin
        kcin commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi .. I use the term software to refer to vinyl & tape in this case . Thanks.

Ty
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
      X