Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axpona 2017 Was A Great Show!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Axpona 2017 Was A Great Show!

    This years Axpona was a great show, solid consumer traffic Friday through Sunday with no lulls at all.
    Lots of great people came by the room and also hung on till late into the evenings.

    We tried to play requests as best we could, even tried to stream one customers music from his lap top.

    We were also honored to have some great VIP's in the room for the After Hours Analog Tape Event Saturday, they even stayed from 8pm till 1:15am!
    Can't comment on anyone or their entourage, lets just say you would be surprised that they were at an analog tape event....

    Mark (MEP) was there hanging with us Friday night and also some stalwart UHA deck owners came both Friday and Saturday nights.
    There were so many new and repeat listeners at the After Hours Analog Tape events, we brought in all the chairs we could find and rocked out mix tapes.

    If you didn't make it we also gave out MBL / UHA T shirts for all after hours attendees.

    One bad thing however, lots of rooms were complaining about the crazy sound sucking drape that the hotel used in the big rooms like we had, it was literally over 1/4" thick velvet material that hung floor to ceiling and the entire rear wall of the room, unbelievable stuff. I assume the hotel bought it because it looked good, however it was awful for the sound. Good thing we had some room treatments on wheels that helped when positioned behind the speakers, otherwise who knows what would have happened. Behind the drape was a glass dry erase marker board the length of the entire room!

    Next year the show moves to a different hotel and fights have already started over what room they will dole out to you, I say there will be trouble on that front.....
    Last edited by Greg Beron; 05-02-2017, 09:00 PM.

  • #2
    Greg, it was good to meet you. I appreciated that you graciously took a chunk of time to explain your various machine offerings to my wife and I. Someday I will have a deck!
    Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

    Comment


    • #3
      Greg,
      Thanks for being your gracious self with the patience of a saint. Most people weren't aware of the pain you were in from your accident and I'm sure this show was harder than others because of the pain from the accident. The T-Shirts were awesome too! You always put on a crowd pleasing show!

      Mark
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

      Comment


      • Madfloyd
        Madfloyd commented
        Editing a comment
        I certainly wasn't aware!

    • #4
      Although I did not visit Axpona 2017 myself I heard something that worries me: the (great) majority of the visitors were 50 plus of age. If this observation is correct, such a fact in my view is not good for the future of our hobby.

      What do you folks think about this?

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
        Although I did not visit Axpona 2017 myself I heard something that worries me: the (great) majority of the visitors were 50 plus of age. If this observation is correct, such a fact in my view is not good for the future of our hobby.

        What do you folks think about this?
        All audio shows look like an AARP meeting. Wake up and smell the liniment. I will say I saw more young people at RMAF 2016 than I have in past years so hopefully the trend will continue. However, you shouldn't be surprised that the majority of people who attend the shows are older.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

        Comment


      • #6
        Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
        Although I did not visit Axpona 2017 myself I heard something that worries me: the (great) majority of the visitors were 50 plus of age. If this observation is correct, such a fact in my view is not good for the future of our hobby.

        What do you folks think about this?
        I've been into audio since I was about 12. It's taken til past 40 to even being to afford the hobby. There's no way I would have even considered spending 5K on a single component in my 20s-30s.

        Comment


        • #7
          So sorry I missed this show! Maybe next year if I don't run out of vacation days.

          Comment


          • Greg Beron
            Greg Beron commented
            Editing a comment
            Bruce,
            You are like the Phantom Audiophile, haven't seen you since two or three years ago at The Capital Audiofest.
            You didn't even attend the last Philly Audio Society meeting.

          • Asamel
            Asamel commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not invited to those. John should have known better and invited me himself.

        • #8
          Originally posted by mep View Post

          All audio shows look like an AARP meeting. Wake up and smell the liniment.
          Wake up and smell the liniment. Now that's funny right there!
          Before long we won't need chairs in the rooms, everyone will just sit on their handicapped scooters.

          Comment


          • #9
            Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post

            Wake up and smell the liniment. Now that's funny right there!
            Before long we won't need chairs in the rooms, everyone will just sit on their handicapped scooters.
            Now that's funny Greg! Two shows back when I saw Steely Dan in concert my friend and I were one of the few people at the show that weren't using walkers, canes, or wheelchairs. I was like "Damn!"
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

            Comment


            • Greg Beron
              Greg Beron commented
              Editing a comment
              And instead of drinking booze at the after hours events everyone will be drinking Pepto-Bismol......

            • MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Or Ensure. 😎 And you will have to start your after hours listening sessions at 6 pm so people can get to bed by 9 pm.

          • #10
            Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
            Although I did not visit Axpona 2017 myself I heard something that worries me: the (great) majority of the visitors were 50 plus of age. If this observation is correct, such a fact in my view is not good for the future of our hobby.

            What do you folks think about this?
            50 plus more like 60 plus!
            A valid concern that has been all over various forums and the magazines.

            The young people are pulled in so many directions unlike when we were kids, there were only 3 TV stations and if nothing was on then music was one of the only media options left.
            Now days with computers and TV on demand not to mention DVD movies and the various streaming services ones options are limitless.
            Social media has also played a role in the constant onslaught of options to keep one entertained.

            Another huge contributor in my mind (probably because I am a rock guy) was the regular release of awesome bands making iconic music.
            Like most people when Zeppelin came out with LZ1 I couldn't wait till LZ2 and 3 and 4 and so it went with so many great bands from the 60's and 70's. Now combine that with some awesome sounding tapes of this old music (I personally love) and it is like hearing it all again for the first time, great from my perspective.

            But 20 to 30 year old's who are busy looking for fun are more likely to spend their money on a hot car or hot dates than $5K on a stereo.

            Comment


            • Johnny Vinyl
              Johnny Vinyl commented
              Editing a comment
              Or gaming rigs. One of my nephews is 38 and has invested thousands on a customized PC Gaming Rig, plus dedicated Nintendo, PS4 and XBox systems that he uses with his 65" 4K big screen. That's not counting a myriad of accessories (sometimes many multiples) and probably a couple of hundred games.

            • spinblackcircle
              spinblackcircle commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the same nephew! Well, not really otherwise we would be related but, same age group and while he doesn't have a pot to piss in, he has the ultimate water cooled gaming rig.

          • #11
            Originally posted by spinblackcircle View Post

            I've been into audio since I was about 12. It's taken til past 40 to even being to afford the hobby. There's no way I would have even considered spending 5K on a single component in my 20s-30s.
            Fair enough. But when I was a student and could not afford to spend anything on audio I visited quite a lot of hifi shows just to broaden my audio horizon. I remember very vividly when I had my first encounter with the Kondo/Audio Note Japan Ongaku and although I thought at the time I would never be able to buy such an ultra expensive amplifier, I found just listening to such an exquisite component a sensation. So without being able to buy anything I went to these shows just to enjoy myself.

            Comment


            • #12
              Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post

              Fair enough. But when I was a student and could not afford to spend anything on audio I visited quite a lot of hifi shows just to broaden my audio horizon. I remember very vividly when I had my first encounter with the Kondo/Audio Note Japan Ongaku and although I thought at the time I would never be able to buy such an ultra expensive amplifier, I found just listening to such an exquisite component a sensation. So without able to buy anything I went to these shows just to enjoy myself.

              Comment


              • #13
                So in short: why are young people not interested in audio shows anymore just to have fun?

                Comment


                • #14
                  Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post

                  50 plus more like 60 plus!
                  A valid concern that has been all over various forums and the magazines.

                  The young people are pulled in so many directions unlike when we were kids, there were only 3 TV stations and if nothing was on then music was one of the only media options left.
                  Now days with computers and TV on demand not to mention DVD movies and the various streaming services ones options are limitless.
                  Social media has also played a role in the constant onslaught of options to keep one entertained.

                  Another huge contributor in my mind (probably because I am a rock guy) was the regular release of awesome bands making iconic music.
                  Like most people when Zeppelin came out with LZ1 I couldn't wait till LZ2 and 3 and 4 and so it went with so many great bands from the 60's and 70's. Now combine that with some awesome sounding tapes of this old music (I personally love) and it is like hearing it all again for the first time, great from my perspective.

                  But 20 to 30 year old's who are busy looking for fun are more likely to spend their money on a hot car or hot dates than $5K on a stereo.
                  yep, I understand your points Greg. What I do not understand however why so few your persons are interested in top notch sound quality.

                  Comment


                  • #15
                    Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
                    So in short: why are young people not interested in audio shows anymore just to have fun?
                    Honestly, I don't think most of them have any idea this type of gear even exists. I think headphones is what drives many of the younger show attendees to buy a ticket. They should give anyone under 35 free tickets to the shows.
                    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                    Comment


                    • Greg Beron
                      Greg Beron commented
                      Editing a comment
                      YOU ARE 100% RIGHT ABOUT THE FREE TICKETS!
                      Also why not buss in kids on a Friday afternoon field trip, seems like they would love that, get out of school for an afternoon and all.
                  Working...
                  X