Axpona 2017 Was A Great Show!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
    So in short: why are young people not interested in audio shows anymore just to have fun?
    Probably because there are only 50 plus year old men at the shows?

Also everything is geared to the 50 + demographic, even the live music at these shows is geared to them, blues and Jazz.

Can you imagine what would happen if the live music was targeted at 20 to 30 year old's?
    There would be riot!
    Here is a list of the current Bilboard top 100 music list, I have no idea who any of those people are....
    Lil Uzi Vert, what is that some kind of gun, a small green Uzi maybe???

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Comment

Comment

😊

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post

Probably because there are only 50 plus year old men at the shows?

Also everything is geared to the 50 + demographic, even the live music at these shows is geared to them, blues and Jazz.

Can you imagine what would happen if the live music was targeted at 20 to 30 year old's?
          There would be riot!
          Here is a list of the current Bilboard top 100 music list, I have no idea who any of those people are....
          Lil Uzi Vert, what is that some kind of gun, a small green Uzi maybe???

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100
          Good point about the Billboard 100. I don't know who any of those artist are.

Billboard 100 = Radio Airplay + Sales Data + Streaming Data. It would be interesting to see what percentage is by category (Radio, Sales, Streaming) for each of the songs on the list. I suspect that Streaming is very significant now to the younger demographic compared to Sales. If Streaming is the thing, then music is becoming or has become a commodity, and is consumed not owned... Listeners may not actually be buying the music...

Instead of age demographic, the music industry/high end audio industry, is probably experiencing a paradigm shift from a quality destination activity to low-fi social media fodder.
          Room 1 Music Reference featuring Genesis G2.2 JR loudspeakers. Also see my Philosophy.

Comment

• Greg Beron
            Greg Beron commented
            Editing a comment
            Joe, I think you've brought up some interesting points here.

I know guys who aren't audiophiles that have gotten rid of their LP collections, when I asked why they said they bought it all from iTunes so they didn't have to go through the trouble of playing a record.

I asked how much have you invested in iTunes and one guy figured maybe $1100 or so.
            So... iTunes or streaming, you are correct no one physically posses that music.
            Maybe because it isn't physically in ones possession why worry about the quality of it or playing it on a quality system???

One guy was quick to add that he could play his iTunes via blue tooth to a small speaker thingey that his wife says sounds really good...
            Oh well.

Guys, you don't have to like them, but if you don't know who Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Rihanna, Maroon 5, Imagine Dragons, Katy Perry, Lana Del Rey, and Lady Gaga are, then you need to seriously come up for air.

I'm 50, and none of those are artists I listen to, although I like Imagine Dragons. And I know about a half dozen others on the current Billboard 100. One can surely like modern music and be an audiophile.

I think govong free free tickets to the under 35 set is a GREAT idea. And exhibitors need to be more willing to play well recorded modern music if asked. That is assuming they would like to be around in 10 years.
          TAPE: Studer A807, Revox B77 MkII, Tascam BR-20, 3030, TEAC 3340S, X7-R, Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I know and have heard many of them. Most courtesy of appearing on SNL or late night TV.

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
          Guys, you don't have to like them, but if you don't know who Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Rihanna, Maroon 5, Imagine Dragons, Katy Perry, Lana Del Rey, and Lady Gaga are, then you need to seriously come up for air.

I'm 50, and none of those are artists I listen to, although I like Imagine Dragons. And I know about a half dozen others on the current Billboard 100. One can surely like modern music and be an audiophile.

I think giving free free tickets to the under 35 set is a GREAT idea. And exhibitors need to be more willing to play well recorded modern music if asked. That is assuming they would like to be around in 10 years.
          You heard it here first!
          SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Skylab View Post

I think govong free free tickets to the under 35 set is a GREAT idea. And exhibitors need to be more willing to play well recorded modern music if asked. That is assuming they would like to be around in 10 years.
            I'm not sure, but I think the poster's point was that there is little at an audio show to entice a young person to even get through the front door. It's not a question of us not knowing the Billbard Top 100, it's the exhibitors not knowing (or playing) any of it. Thrre's really no reason for us old farts to know or care about current popular music, it's not something to discuss with our friends nor is it something we'll want to listen to more in our "older" age.

At 50, I'd say you are in the youngest demographic group for this "hobby" LOL

Comment

Ok, I will admit I do like Daft Punk, "Get Lucky".
              Do I loose my decoder ring?

Comment

Originally posted by rbbert View Post

At 50, I'd say you are in the youngest demographic group for this "hobby" LOL
                yeah Axpona is always good for making me feel young

TAPE: Studer A807, Revox B77 MkII, Tascam BR-20, 3030, TEAC 3340S, X7-R, Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I unexpectedly attended Axpona. I was in northern Chicago for an event on Saturday...complained to my wife that I was again going to miss the show...so she suggested we stay overnight and attend on Sunday. Wow!!! I could not get myself to say no to this woman. We arrived in the late morning with approximately 5 hours with the intent of hitting the rooms with the speakers I most covet. Unanticipated, were the welcomed distractions and lengthy conversations, which ate deep into the mid-afternoon.

Now that 10 days have lapsed I will try my best to recall the rooms I did get to spend some time. Just to preface, I was taken aback at how many rooms there were. Enough to easily fill the whole weekend. Also, all the rooms we visited had reps pleasantly greeting and amenable to questions and conversation. Lastly, the long halls with closed and slightly ajar hotel doors were scattered with participants, but not overly so. We had absolutely no problem gaining acces to seating, except in the smallest of rooms. And typically, with a bit of patience the sweet spots would vacate allowing my wife, Kathy and I to better appreciate the best the systems had to offer.

I will speak of a few notable rooms and notable conversations. First off was Ken Stevens...Convergent and Magico...with Galen Carol. I have spoken to Galen numerous times over the last 25 years, but happily met him for a good 10 minute bout of cajoling and audio banter. The time in this room was ( anyone who has spent any time with Ken Stevens knows) predominately spent listening to Ken. Very informative fellow, but the topics eventually bound well beyond my intellect. The system, by the way was a bit quieter than we prefer, but had all that the musicality I have come to expect from Ken's design. Also, as we were nearing an escape route, I noticed what I thought was a familiar face. I asked the guy if he was Myles....he hesitated and queried "Myles Astor?....No, I am Michael Fremer." Ugh...egg all over me face. Sorry Myles. Biggest surprise was how tolerant Kathy was. Even after I sidestepped Ken to spend time with Galen, my wife engaged fully with Ken.

Many of the systems were sounding quite good, but few had the allure to keep us beyond a song or two. We did converse with a gentleman from Germany representing an Italian speaker that was gorgeous to look at and quite musical. In the end it lacked the extension I would find acceptable, but the amicable distributor shared his concerns of the state of high end audio in Europe. He believed the markets in Asia, and surprisingly in the US were keeping some of these manufacturers, especially the lesser known ones, afloat.

On the lower level...we had a short visit in the rather large, but completely vacant Jadis/Vandersteen room. I don't recall what was playing, neither Kathy nor myself felt engaged. Kathy heard Freebird jamming form a room across the hall...it was the Mbl's kicking it. We sat in for a couple of tunes. Kathy was not very impressed, but I thought this was the best I have heard these speakers sound. "I never expected to hear Freebird at an audio show" she mused.

We peeked our heads in at least a dozen or more rooms, but made few forays into extended stays. The last room I wish to comment on is the Acoustic Zen. We sat down for two songs...very impressive, but onward we wished to go. The two reps politely asked us to stay so they could show off their wares. They played some funky live band and holy shit, did it rock. The staging, detail, and placement just blew me away. The electronics driving were solid state and digital. What??? Everything I typically denounce. This system played the best, most life-like music of the show...for us. It simply surpassed the beautiful Tidals, which up till then was the show leader.

Sorry, for the long reply, but I just so much enjoyed this show. We, fortunately had some time to shop for lps, although my cup had been more than filled the previous day at RSD. Other than trying to fit three hundred rooms in a 5 hour span I couldn't be more pleased with the variety and quality of systems, the diversity of music offered and the pleasantness of the vendors, displayers and manufacturers.

Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Love to hear that!

Comment

So in short: why are young people not interested in audio shows anymore just to have fun?
                      I saw younger people there. Dads with sons and younger married couples. I don't know what they were looking at. Just as those who said the show was slow and attendance was up 13%.
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Fair enough. But when I was a student and could not afford to spend anything on audio I visited quite a lot of hifi shows just to broaden my audio horizon. I remember very vividly when I had my first encounter with the Kondo/Audio Note Japan Ongaku and although I thought at the time I would never be able to buy such an ultra expensive amplifier, I found just listening to such an exquisite component a sensation. So without being able to buy anything I went to these shows just to enjoy myself.
                        Same here. Shows were to see and hear the gear and meet the manufacturers.
                        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Working...
                        X