Axpona Day 2: Reality Sets In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axpona Day 2: Reality Sets In

By now the reality of covering 162 rooms (with 60 new exhibitors) and 80 booths had set in. So any hope of seeing the whole show was dashed and plan B was implemented. Cover what I could. The day began at 10 am and by 5 pm, my feet had reached their limit. Axpona was so spread out that I truly regretted not packing any sneakers.

While on the topic of packing. The only software source that I brought along to this years’ Axpona Show was LPs. I didn’t feel like schlepping tapes to the show plus it’s gotten to the point where the tape people have plenty of software and tape samplers.

So so what LPs made the trip from New York to Chicago?

The Doors: LA Woman, “Riders on the Storm,” AS reissue, 45 rpm
    Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue, “Chittlins Con Carne,” MMJ 33 rpm
    Gonoud: Faust, AS RCA Living Stereo reissue
    The Emerald Forrest, End Titles-Eagle Break
    Ike Quebec: Soul Samba, Classic Records reissue
    Poulenc: Organ Concerto, EMI
    Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee: Sonny and Brownie, MCA

All albums saw some service at the show with the Poulenc, The Doors, Emerald Forrest and Sonny and Brownie seeing the bulk of the playing time.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Speaking of tape. Jeff Joseph and Jeff Rowland (who at one time worked for Ampex) wowed show attendees with tunes spun on a Mara Machines/MCI deck equipped with Doshi V3.0 tape electronics. Signal was fed to a Rowland Daemon integrated amplifier driving a pair of Joseph Audio Pearl 3 speakers. The crowd was reduced to tears and jaws dropped when the Acoustic Sounds sampler tape reached the Dean Martin Dream with Dean track and the Joseph Audio Pearl's sounded like a million dollars. The good news? The Pearl's don't need tape to sound their best!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_121251.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	85338Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_121259.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	85339Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_121624.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	85340

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Letsmakeadeal
      Letsmakeadeal commented
      Editing a comment
      I still don't fully understand how it is possible but I can hear the unbelievable quality of this set up even through the computer (with good desktop speakers) on YouTube video...Utterly stunning sound in a not so GIGANTIC package and within the financial reality of some audiophiles whom are not multi millionaires...Wow Wow Wow

Now I really want that RTR

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Resistance is futile.

Possibly my favorite show moments. I happened to be in the Einstein room when Chad Kassem brought a test pressing of the upcoming UHQR Jimi Hendrix. The UHQRs are all hand pressed on Clarity vinyl. Analogue Productions, by the way, chose a different Clarity vinyl (sourced from Thailand) than utilized by Classic Records. Note it looks whiter than the clearer Classic Records releases.

The vinyl played back on Einstein’s new The Turntable sounded ultra quiet. Sonically it's probably the closest one will get to the original tape. The 1500 mono releases are sold out while a few preorders still exist for the stereo version. I doubt anyone will be disappointed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_133601.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	85347Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_132047.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	85348

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Myles taking a break to check the board! And that’s Sherrell with me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	14E208CB-B4F4-4EDB-85FC-76DE1EC6FEF5.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	85350Click image for larger version  Name:	19D146CD-BD0A-4636-A1D1-B61883D3489B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	85351

Photos courtesy of Sherrell Morris.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• kensell21
        kensell21 commented
        Editing a comment
        One of my better things I did was to get in and order both mono and stereo LPs. Can’t wait.

Kyomi Audio took two rooms at Axpona. In room one were MBL 101 Mk 2s being driven by MBL Noble electronics line. Sources were either digital--or for the very first time--a turntable. The featured analog source here was an Air Force 3 turntable, Graham arm and Techdas cartridge combo. The system had the usual MBL strengths: speed, transparency and really impressive imaging. No speaker gets out of the way of the music like a well setup pair of 101s; the low end, however, could have been better controlled. My reaction-and I'm not sure if it was it was a result of the SWT room treatment--also varied with musical genre. On something with huge ambient space like the Poulenc Organ Concerto, the system lost a bit of the ambient space; this wasn't as noticeable say with The Doors album.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_124145.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	85357Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_124155.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	85358

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Kyomi's other room was across the hall from MBL and featured Gryphon Mojo S mini-speakers and Diablo integrated amplifier. New from Gryphon was the Sonnet phonostage that was used with Pear Audio's Kid Thomas table and Cadenza Black cartridge. The Mojos were quick and detailed but the system deserved a better cartridge and some of the dryness could be attributed to the Black.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_131918.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	85363

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Gershman Acoustics their Posh speaker at Axpona. Their new top-of-the-line $129K speaker was ably complemented by VAC tube electronics and VPI's recently released top of the line Titan table and new Fatboy gimballed tonearm. The Gershman setup was one of the few systems that I heard at Axpona that could reproduce the tone, timbre and richness of Ike Quebec's tenor sax on Soul Samba. Plus the musicians didn't feel like they were lined up like they were facing a firing squad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_140701.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	85371

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Long time industry insider Elliot Goldman (we first met when he was at Lyric HiFi eons ago) and Bending Wave Audio debuted Oliver Gobel's new Aeon Fine speaker from Germany for the first time in the US at Axpona 2018. Priced at $140,000 a pair, the Gobels were complemented by Swiss manufacurer's CH-Precision's M1 amplifier, L1 preamplifier and C1 DAC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_161501.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	85373

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• ashandger
              ashandger commented
              Editing a comment
              Wondering if you got to hear this system and if so, what were your impressions especially in terms of integration between drivers and timbres?

Lampizator and Daedulus Audio teamed up once again at Axpona 2018. Lampizator brought along the final version of their beautiful looking Pacific DAC (and SuperKomputer) while Daedulus displayed their new Apollo 11 speakers. Driving the speakers was the brand new 18 watt ZOTL ultralinear amplifier designed by David Berning. The sound was very relaxed and unmechanical. Rendering of space was as good as I've heard from digital. One thing, though, that struck me the longer I listened though was the loss of detail: recordings were just too smoothed over.

Name:	image_13068.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	85377

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Skylab
              Skylab commented
              Editing a comment
              This was one of the rooms I did hear (I was only able to make it Friday and while I was there all day that meant listening to just a small portion of the rooms). I’ve heard Daedalus speakers at shows before and loved them, but this room sounded BAD. Not sure why. I doubt it was the Lampi’s fault. But I was surprised. Very poor bass, very wonky mids.

A few more to come including the much anticipated debut of Magico’s new under $10K A3 speakers. Stay tuned!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Magico announced late last year the release of the A3, a brand new under $10K speaker. Could Magico designer Alon Wolf pull off at a lower price point what he had achieved with cost no object speaker? The answer at CES was unqualified yes. The new A3 allied with Constellation electronics sounded absolutely amazing. This roughly $40K total system was very linear from top-to-bottom with no one area outshining the other. The lower octaves were also outstanding especially considering conditions: Not quite the scale of bass of its bigger brothers but what the A3 has is clean, detailed and ballsy. That was coupled with superb imaging and sense of space. Above all, the A3 is--despite the cabinet looking like the older Q series--closer in signature to the newer than older Magico speakers.

How did Alon keep the price down? Simple. Scale of production.

Oh, and don't expect to order an A3 and receive your speaker in a week. Right now the A3s are sold out and backordered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0124.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	85414

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                Steve Lefkowicz commented
                Editing a comment
                I was really impressed by these at a demo at Scott Walker Audio recently.

• allenh
                allenh commented
                Editing a comment
                Myles, which Constellation series was this?

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the Revelation series.

Some other systems from Axpona 2018.

Fidelis Audio presented new Stenheim's new Alumine 5 powered by the VAC's new170IQ integrated amplifier. Records were played back on an Acoustic Signature turntable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0176.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	85417Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0175.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	85416

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Triangle Arts new Master Reference turntable.

Name:	DSC_0162.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	85420

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Letsmakeadeal
                  Letsmakeadeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bet this thing requires a forklift to move around...Now that is some mass! And very handsome to boot!

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank God it comes in pieces!

Miles, did you notice what phono-pre was being used in the Einstein room? A replacement for “The Turntable’s Choice” has been in the works for years.
                Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (balanced, dual mono version), dCS Rossini DAC, Roon ROCK, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Comment

• lasercd
                  lasercd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Back in November I finally got an answer from Einstein about their new phono stage:

The Phonostage is already in production since half a year. We haven`t put it on our web site, because we can`t follow the high quantity of orders in production. Sorry...

The Phonostage is not a fully balanced design, but a dual mono one. But headroom is as huge, as our previous phonstage The Turntable`s Choice Balance. The signal to noise ratio is even better and it is also much better shielded from interferences from outside. You can select the gain, either 68 dB of 74 db gain. This was not possible on our older models. Sound is more detailed, more depth and wider soundstage as well.

Carol Counnas--1/2 of Zesto Audio--cuing up albums in their room. Zesto basically demonstrated the same system at RMAF last fall (Leto 1.5 preamplifier, Tessara phonostage, Allasso SUT, Eros amplifier and Coltrane Django speakers) with the exception of Merrill-Williams new 101.3 turntable. The MW 101.3 features further refinements to the platter, feet and record clamp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180414_170035.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.85 MB ID:	85747

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                X