• Some Thoughts from Dave Clark of PF on the Axpona 2018 Show

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I think the 5th paragraph was what I was thinking about the most. Increasing the size of the show is a double edged sword. On the plus side, it's good for the industry and the event holder; on the negative side, it's not so good for new or small manufacturers that will be skipped over in order to cover more established companies.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

What I also think the show should also do is have an hour or 90 minutes each day where attendees can play any music they bring.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Asamel
        Asamel commented
        Editing a comment
        Call me an anarchist but maybe we should, as a group, demand more choice on what is played. Ask and if refused leave. Let them know why you are leaving. Maybe if it happens enough some will listen, Don't they get bored of playing the same shit over and over? Me - I'd play "Keith Don't Go" live and electric!

I will second the Play Your Own Music Hour of Power!

Comment

I have a hard time sticking around any room that won't play stuff I want to hear. I don't bring any weird stuff, just music that works for me. Usually end playing playing short excerpts from three or four tracks. I try not to be too intrusive, or hog the room. More often than not, people stick around to hear what I'm playing and ask about it.
        Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 04-21-2018, 12:02 PM.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        --------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Observation 2

Shows are expensive to attend and to exhibit, so adding a 4th day is not going to be feasible. Sigh.
          Re Observation 2: Shows are expensive. So is the lack of press coverage, especially for smaller or new manufacturers. This one is difficult. Before I read Dave's article (v. enjoyable) I wondered about adding an extra day upfront mostly for the press. It might be an opportunity to put together some specific 'tours' for specific interests. "If you really want to see X-things, here's a list of rooms to visit." If a vendor can't afford an extra day, there'd be no obligation. Maybe the venue could give a better rate and/or food discounts for that extra day. I haven't thought this through, but there's surely something that could be done. Having 8-10 people from PF is a lot, but 8 minutes a room is nowhere near enough.

Observation 4

Please have a sheet listing what is being show in the room. Seriously. Get it together. Talk outside and don't go overboard on the press at the expense of those sitting and listening. It also helps if you put your room number on the sheet.
          Double-plus-ditto on having a sheet listing equipment shown with retail pricing and room number. This is a perrenial but simple basc obvious thing that far too many exhibitors fail to do. And they've been failing to do it seemingly forever. You can take a picture of that sheet before gear snapshots. Saves lots of time taking notes and finding a rep to provide basic product info.

Comment

Observation 4

Please have a sheet listing what is being show in the room. Seriously. Get it together. Talk outside and don't go overboard on the press at the expense of those sitting and listening. It also helps if you put your room number on the sheet.

I've been pushing for this since the late 1990s. One thing that makes it even easier, is print one clearly and hang it on the wall of your room where it can be easily photographed. Not only is that easier for everyone at the show, but then the list in in with the photos taken of your room so they are all easier to sort through later when you generate your show report. Last year we printed two separate handouts, one for press that included marketing/private contact info for the various manufacturers and distributors, and one for attendees that did not.

One thing members of the press need to do is to introduce themselves when they enter a room. Hard to pay attention to a member of the press if you don't know they are there. I always introduce myself to whoever is running a room to make sure any info I get is accurate. At least in my exhibit last year, hardly anyone from the press ever let me know they were there. I found out when I read their posts on the internet later (yes, I searched), and was disappointed at how much incorrect information was included.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            --------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

For the shows I bring a few reference tracks and ask. Digital rooms are much more likely to play yoir music I find.
              As for tracks you guys bring can you describe the types of music you bring and why. For me it’s not tracks I love all time favorites it’s business of showing me what there systems can do.
              analog stuff.
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
              sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
              thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
              kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
              phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
              speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
              mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
              digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

There has got to be a better way to do this. I know part of it is geography-- shows are spread throughout the country (I'm not even thinking about shows outside the U.S.) to reach the most people and the facilities are less than optimal. But is there an alternative to these hotels? The same complaints about small rooms, crowded corridors and too little time to cover too much stuff seems to be a given. Can that be fixed?
                I'm surprised that your editor doesn't assign areas of coverage- what if all you PF guys decide to spend your time in the same rooms? That one is easy to fix.
                Congestion- is there some way to control traffic to the rooms by pre-assignment? You have a list of exhibitors and a schedule- people sign up in advance.
                The talking while demonstrating should be solved by having enough staff (between manufacturer, rep and local dealer) so that a sidebar conversation doesn't interfere with listening, or vice-versa.
                It all costs money. I get it. The high end companies, for the most part, aren't rich conglomerates with huge PR budgets. (My wife just finished dealing with SXSW- booking their space for multiple vendors, arranging load in/out, coordinating among the staff of each vendor- they go through this every year with something like 200k people in town for the event). Some of the venues are acoustically good--they are live performance spaces. People shuttle or walk between locations (too much traffic and too many streets closed to drive).
                Do the cities that host the shows have any interest in supporting them? (Forget NY, you gotta pay 4 guys to screw in a light bulb, and you still have the grease the head guy if you want it done before you fly out).
                All of this leads me to believe that the choice of venue(s) creates the biggest problem. An urban hotel isn't cheap. But off season, a resort property, which might allow you folks to spread out a bit, could be an alternative. (Cheaper too- IBM used to have a retreat for its executives that they would rent out not far from where I lived north of Manhattan. It has since been sold but it had space and lot's of amenities).
                I guess the other thing you need is time. Most of these things are crammed into what -three days of actual show, with a load in day?
                I don't think it is fair to the writers, the exhibitors or the attendees. What's a ticket cost? Is there a premium ticket that gets some preference?
                Look at what bands are doing-- you pay for the VIP package-- hundreds of dollars and get a pre-show whirl, some swag, and maybe a better seat.
                I think pop-up shows could work if several manufacturers joined together in targeted locations. Perhaps smaller crowds, but more manageable.
                I remember the days of Chicago and McCormick Place. Rotating displays with Playboy models for the big manufacturers, some little third world hut for the small guy with a camping lamp.
                Change the dynamic. Maybe the emerging companies should join forces to share knowledge and marketing. I dunno. There are probably a million different angles here. And, I'm not a marketing guy.

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Congestion- is there some way to control traffic to the rooms by pre-assignment?" there are exhibitors that do this with timed, closed door demos. I avoid them unless I really, really want to hear something. It can kill 50-mins of your day, 15-20 standing in line, another 20-30 for the demo and if it sucks, you're stuck until its over. if you're talking about a 'fast pass' like you get at an amusement park it'll add add'l layers of complication.

• Bill Hart
                  Bill Hart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was suggesting sign up in advance. Perhaps it is too complicated. And yes, for someone who pays extra dollars, fast pass. That money would go to the show organizers, though, and not the manufacturer/dealers. If they had the wherewithal to hire an event planner, maybe they could make it more cost effective to produce their own shows, I dunno.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                What I also think the show should also do is have an hour or 90 minutes each day where attendees can play any music they bring.
                In most of the small rooms they were open to people playing their own music. Jeff Joseph allowed me to play my entire mix reel to reel.
                Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

A fourth day is not that much more expensive, as an exhibitor. THE Show used to have a fourth day, as a "press day", and it was very useful. When the show opened to the public on Friday, the systems already had a whole day on them.
                  Disclosure:
                  Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
                  Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
                  [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post

In most of the small rooms they were open to people playing their own music.
                    It depends on what people bring to play.

I remember one instance at an audio show where the room quickly cleared after the exhibitor agreed to play a CD that had what sounded like a guy screaming in French accompanied a synthesizer.

Comment

Having done more shows than I can recall over many years and in all types of venues, from the cheesy St. Tropez in Vegas to the Venetian, I can tell you there will never be the perfect show. Heck won't even be close to it.

I've been in rooms where water was leaking from the ceiling, (the first Axpona Show in Chicago) to the Montreal show where we couldn't turn off the A/C and freezing air was being forced right down into the equipment 24x7, my hands were numb trying to thread tape!!

We've had guys go into our bathroom, (without permission) and the result was to clear out our room and even the room across the hall too, not cool.
                      We've had altercations, called security a few times and had so many sonic issues in rooms, I'll just spare you....

I agree 100% with Dave, better planning at these shows is needed and it's great that he addressed those points, but in the chaos of a show things will go wrong and you just gotta roll with the punches. Manufacturers pay lots of money for these shows and often are dealt a bad hand to play out, heck getting your gear to a show in one piece and working properly can be a feat in itself.
                      Also lets not forget that one can pay money for a show and the damn thing doesn't even happen!
                      I really give Marjorie credit for pulling off RMAF the year they were remodeling the hotel, she got the job done under awful circumstances and the show went on.

Comment

Working...
                      X