Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axpona, Day 2: Time to Get Down and Dirty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room 743 was literally a treasure trove of high-end audio gear, cables and accessories! Filling the room were products from Stillpoints, Viola Audio Labs, Acoustic Arts, Rockport Technologies, Tein Audio, van den Hul, Telos Audio, Madison Audio Labs cables and Kaplan Fidelity power cords!

The system itself consisted of Paul Jayson (Paul, for the younger audiophiles, cut his teeth with Levinson [the person] and Cello Electronics) /Viola Audio Labs 125 wpc $29,750 Chorale integrated amplifier driving a pair of $26,500 Rockport Atria speakers. An $18,000 Acoustic Arts phonostage provided al the necessary transformations and fed the Viola integrated amplifier.

Catching everyone's eye here was the three motor $11,000 Tein Audio turntable and Viroa unipivot arm from Taiwan. I'm not sure this is the first time the Tein table was shown in N. America but it certainly was the first time I've seen it. This three motor turntable features adjustable torque and microprocessor speed control. Tracing those record grooves was a vdh Crimson Black ($5295) cartridge.

Telos Audio Design from Asia showed several of its "system refinement technologies" including their $12,000 Quantum Resonator conditioner, $6000 Ground Noise reducer, etc. Stillpoints showed its ESS Racks equipped with new Rail Grids as well their Aperture panels/stands combination absorber, diffusor and resonator trapping system designed by the person behind Sonex panels.

The sound was far better than expected given room conditions; part of that has to be a testimony to the effectiveness of the Aperture panels. The Artrias were the best sounding of the Rockport speakers at Axpona 2019. Particular impressive was the system's cleanness, transparency and resolution.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0210.JPG Views:	175 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	112711Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0206.JPG Views:	190 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	112709

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0212.JPG Views:	173 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	112710
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0213.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	112713

Gershman Acoustics from Canada brought along their $6599 Grand Studio and $13,000 GRAND Avant Garde (shown in picture) speakers to Axpona this year. The new Grand Avant Garde speakers feature Gershman's proprietary Backwave Control Technology (BCT) that allows for deep yet controlled bass in a small package. Gershman like several other rooms was VAC electronics in their system including the $63,000 Statement 450S iQ dual mono amplifiers and $40,000 Master preamplifier plus internal phono option. 12-inch black discs were spun on VPI's $20,000 Avenger turntable equipped their new 12-inch gimballed arm and a Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge. Cabling was all Nordost.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Randy Forman's Finest Fidelity room had some of the best sound of any room using Magico speakers. Oh so controlled yet at the same time timbrally on point.

The $28,000 Magico S3 Mk. 2 speakers were driven by the very attractive in their own simplistic manner 300 wpc (into 8 ohms) Accustic Arts
        $24,999 Accustic Arts Mono II MOSFET power amplifiers. Making up the rest of the electronics were the German company's $16,400 Tube Hybrid preamplifier and $25,995 van den Hul Grail SE phonostage.

The analog source was a simply super sexy looking, idler drive based, Garrard 301/Dobbins turntable with $4850 Reed 2P tonearm and $11,995 van den Hul Colibri Master Signature phono cartridge. The Dobbin/Garrard table uses a seven layer Gen III plinth and custom platter fashioned by Xact Audio. Steve certainly showed there's still life in the old Garrard; what struck me was how he's reduced the table's noise floor. Cables here included van den Hul Mountain ICs and 3T Cumulus speaker cables. The other accessory unique to Randy's room were a pair of AJ van den Huls Extenders mounted atop the Magico speakers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18448.jpg Views:	172 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	112718

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0218.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	112717

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0216.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	112716

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          simply beautiful

Like the Joseph Audio room, Jeff Catalano's High Water Sound room can be counted on to be an oasis from bad sound. And like a few other rooms piled with LPs and digital free. Jeff's system consisted of the $28,000 Horning Hybrid Systems Eufrodite Ellipse Mk. III and an all New Audio Frontiers electronics lineup including the $12,000 Stradiari Evolution Linestage, $12,000 Stradivari Phonostage and $34,000 Ultimate 211 SE Monoblocks. Lots of happy glowing equipment in the room!

New this year was a prototype a prototype (one of two in the world at the moment) of the soon to be officially released at Munich $10,000 TW-Acustic GT2 turntable. This very scaled down entry level TW-Acustic table was outfitted with two, new also, $6000 (ea.) TW-Acustic 12-inch tonearms. One arm held a $4390 Ortofon Windfeld Ti (stereo) while the other had a $2150 Miyajima Labs Zero (mono) cartridge mounted in it. TW-
        Acustic's new table features a billet Aluminum/solid plinth with motor controller mounted in the plinth. An Aluminum platter is topped off with a 15 mm bronze "mat" (the other tables use Copper). Rounding out the system Furutech phono and power cables; TEO Speaker and ICs.

One thing struck me about the sound of the High Water Sound room despite the room's bass issues. There was a midrange magic here that was missing from the other rooms at the show. (Interestingly that midrange "sound" was also present in the other rooms using the TW-Acustic table.) There was a "see through" sense of delicacy and lightness to Crystal Gayle's and Tom Wait's voices on the soundtrack One from the Heart not heard elsewhere. Though no rooms could replicate the sense of separation between the voices that I achieve at home.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18450.jpg Views:	178 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	112721
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0230.JPG Views:	185 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	112720Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0229.JPG Views:	166 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	112722

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Slowgeezr
          Slowgeezr commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm. I don't see a stand alone motor.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I thought the motor was integrated within the plinth.

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          the photo I was looking at when I made the comment was different, nevermind

Part 2 finished and onto the final day of the show and show awards! Snow or not!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Damn! We weren't there when you stopped by? Argh!
          There were three of us (4 on Fri/Sun)... Really sorry about this, as I would've loved to play your LPs on the Bergmann!

alex
          Disclosure:
          Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
          Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
          [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Siufy View Post
            Damn! We weren't there when you stopped by? Argh!
            There were three of us (4 on Fri/Sun)... Really sorry about this, as I would've loved to play your LPs on the Bergmann!

alex
            Me too. I did want to hear the system and Bergmann specifically.

But that’s the problem now with a show the size of Axpona. I rarely had the chance to stop back a second time to rooms that were full when I first visited or people who weren’t there. ☹️

I know I missed a lot of rooms.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Yes, indeed it's too big of a show. And while I expected a barrage of people non-stop, that's not what happened. There'd be waves, and in between, the whole floor would go dead, for a solid 10 mins or more. Then, another wave... Strange
              Disclosure:
              Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
              Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
              [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Siufy View Post
                Yes, indeed it's too big of a show. And while I expected a barrage of people non-stop, that's not what happened. There'd be waves, and in between, the whole floor would go dead, for a solid 10 mins or more. Then, another wave... Strange
                Probably was the elevators. They were slower than molasses. 5+ minutes waits weren’t uncommon.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Great, great write-up Myles. Can't believe I missed the Reed 5-P. It's on the short list of my desert island tonearms!

Comment

Excellent reporting Myles, and wonderful photographs. I appreciate all of your efforts.
                    SME 30/12A, SME V-12, SME 3012R, vdH Grand Cru, vdH Master Signature, Pass Labs XA160.5, XP-32, XP-27, Magico Q3, DIY cables

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                      Bending Wave Audio, distributor of CH-Precision electronics and Goebel speakers, gets an incomplete here because of this extremely sonically challenged room (one side wall was entirely glass). Analog records were played back on Techdas' Air Force One Premium table equipped with a Graham Phantom Elite arm and TechDas DTi cartridge.

Drawing everyone's attention, however, were the $220,000 Goebel Noblesse speakers replete with their proprietary bass and midrange driver and customized AMT tweeter. The Goebel's were backed here by an all CH-Precision system too. Be forewarned though. While the speakers are darn efficient (95 dB efficient speakers and nearly a 4 ohm load), it'll take a moving crew to position these 570 pound per side behomeths.

I did manage to catch 15 mins of the Air Force presentation. The first LP up was the classic Belafonte at Carnegie Hall. Fasten your seat belts right? Sadly, no. But when they were putting the LP on the table I noticed it had a Phillips label (?) and assume it was a Japanese reissue? Anyway it just lacked the aliveness, delicacy and sense of Carnegie that the original or Chad's reissue have in spades.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0170.JPG Views:	218 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	112689Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0173.JPG Views:	213 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	112688Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0172.JPG Views:	228 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	112687
                      So I saw.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Excellent effort Myles. Thank you!

Comment

Good show report!

Comment

good show reports. What do you use for a camera? phone. point and shoot, or dslr?
                            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                              MylesBAstor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ancient Nikon D60.

• JCOConnell
                              JCOConnell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              the photos look dslr quality
                          Working...
                          X