X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MylesBAstor
    started a topic Day 3: Finishing The Rounds

Day 3: Finishing The Rounds

Day 3's report kicks off with a mention of some Saturday night after show activities. VPI celebrated their 40th Anniversary with an after hours party in their room where company President Mat Weisfeld made a few announcements. One bit of news was VPI has two new turntables in the pipeline that will be released in the next year. The first new piece will be a new, more entry level turntable (no further details were shared); second, the table that I currently use (VPI’s direct drive Vanquish) will become an official product. The Vanquish will also undergo a few updates this coming February with perhaps the most significant being an update to the motor speed control (coming from the new 40th Anniversary table).

For those into vintage, Harry brought along part of his collection of old tonearms, some of which date back to ‘60s. Sure that you like me will enjoy these pictures!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_100855.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	101447
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16091.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	101446

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181104_101011.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	101443Click image for larger version  Name:	20181104_100946.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	101444Click image for larger version  Name:	20181104_101034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	101445

• tom_hankins
    commented on 's reply
    This room, along with the Tenacious Sounds room with the new TAD speakers and the room using the Sonner bookshelf speakers with Accuphase integrated and Mytek DAC were my top three.
    Thanks again Myles for the great pictures and write ups!

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post

Myles who is a local dealer would love to hear them. Also a factory tour. Any chance we could go ?
    Sound Insight on LI. Their number is in fourth picture down.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Sound Insight from Massapequa, Long Island brought along the newest version of their big hybrid planar ribbon/dynamic, open baffle woofer system to CAF. The speaker’s midrange panel runs $17k and goes down to 50 Hz. The diagphram is a bit out the ordinary not using common materials like Mylar. Instead the GTA3r uses a special composite material from Japan that allows the use of copper wiring on the panel. Price on the open baffle woofer system depends on the number of sub woofers; the all out towers arrangement shown at CAF runs $28k. The rest of the system’s electronics consisted of PASS XA 60.8 amplifiers, PASS XS preamplifier and phonostage. A $6800 Semper Sonus TE1 epicyclic drive (rim) Turntable from Portugal outfitted with a Schick tonearm and Lyra Kleos cartridge spun 12-inch black discs. Wiring was provided by Triode Labs.

The sound was much improved over last year. The soundstage was massive yet every instrument’ was precisely separated, layered and located. There was a real magic in the midrange with vocals and the system was very transparent. Definitely some speakers to keep an ear out for!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_115304.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	101474Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_114915.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	101470Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_115032.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	101472Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_115050.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	101473Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_115000.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	101469Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_115013.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	101471
    Myles who is a local dealer would love to hear them. Also a factory tour. Any chance we could go ?

Leave a comment:

• Sgood@verizon.net
    commented on 's reply
    This room was in my top 3 favorites of the show. Sam said the parts he used to make his dac are not readily available so it will not become a product but it made the 16/44 files he was playing from his Mac mini sound incredible.

• adrianwu
    commented on 's reply
    The problem is not inherent in horn technology, just that it is difficult to get right. Shame Living Voice doesn't participate in the US shows. Everyone should try to hear the Olympian at least once. Full range horn from 50K down to 20Hz. Simply heads and shoulders above anything else I have ever heard (and so is the price !). Classic Audio should sound great too in this show. I am using their field coil drivers and they are amazing. Electrostatic-like transparency and transients with horn dynamics. Horn compression drivers have 10 times less distortion than dynamic drivers by virtue of a much shorter excursion of the diaphragm. They also tend to have much lighter diaphragms and much more powerful magnets, resulting in superior transient response. And not to mention the much higher sensitivity (often 20dB more sensitive), allowing one to use amps that don't employ multiple output devices (parallel output tubes or transistors is my pet peeve since it is impossible to have perfectly matched devices) and to operate in the most linear part of the curve.

• kcin
    replied
    Nice report, especially with the honest comments. I hate ".... if the grapple grommet 500 meets your priorities you should try it!" comments we often see in these reports.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ehoove
    commented on 's reply
    I agree some of the best horn speakers I have heard, and I like you am not a horn guy.
    Regards,
    Jim

• Nevillekapadia
    replied
    Much appreciated as always! Thanks Myles.

Leave a comment:

• Madfloyd
    replied
    Thanks, Myles!

Leave a comment:

• Socrates
    commented on 's reply
    I know Dave--bit of a Fish outa Water in the mainstream, but coughs up some innovative and sonically pleasing statements

good to see him "pushing the envelope"!

Soc

• Socrates
    commented on 's reply
    I tend to agree here--Von Schweikert speakers always sound sorta constipated to me, can't say the Kronos TT has impressed much either

maybe that combo just doesn't gel?.

Appreciate the honest reporting on the Show Myles--mere platitudes get boring I feel.

Soc

• siddh
    replied
    As always...a great thank you for allowing us into the event with your degree of candor.

Leave a comment:

• Musica
    replied
    Thanks again Myles. Great stuff!!

Leave a comment:

• stellavox
    replied
    Nice job Myles,

Agree with everything you say - especially as I was there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X