• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great coverage and photos Myles !
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

Contrary to some ill informed people’s comments seen elsewhere, Gary Gill’s Capital AudioFest Show really came of age in 2016 and decidedly moved past a small regional audio show. This year’s show had a 30 some odd percent increase in the number of rooms (almost 60) plus a huge increase in the quality of exhibitors. Not to mention a big jump in headphone exhibitors and software sellers. So audiophiles on the East Coast should definitely put next year’s show dates November 1-3 on their 2018 calendar!

More to come.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• tom_hankins
        tom_hankins commented
        Editing a comment
        100% agree with you Myles. Last year was a big change and this year moving to November was huge. Seeing the growth the show has made over the last two years I don't see it staying at that particular Hilton much longer.
        Really liked the all the record/Cd sales area this year, although my wallet took a beating.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        CAF will be at the convenient to access Hilton next year. But yes the show is outgrowing the hotel. Gary and crew have looked around—even a little further out—but there aren’t a lot of hotels out there with the big rooms exhibitors desire. Plus Gary doesn’t want to move the show to DC. Next year Gary may take the show vertical to the 4th and 5th floors.

Your photographs seem to be better than before- improved iPhone? Better photography skills? I have a Fuji (the one that looks like an old Leica) and it has marvelous picture making ability and great color density. The problem is me, not the camera. You seem to take better pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Looking for something to hold and show off that LP or CD when playing?

Winner of best accessory award. $30 for this heavy duty and nice looking holder from Sistrum Acoustics (maker of cones and platforms). Waxtrax wanted $60 or 70 for a block of wood with wire sticking out of it. please. Puhleexe. Audiophiles aren't that gullible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_132717.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	70146
        Your giving audiophiles far too much credit. Many are knee deep in worthless expensive tweaks. $70 for a block of wood with a wire hanging out of it is dirt cheap and a venerable bargain in this hobby. There are lots of blocks of wood with wires sticking out of them for sale to audiophiles. Could cost you thousands.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Myles,

Thanks for the photos and commentary.

Dre
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
          Your photographs seem to be better than before- improved iPhone? Better photography skills? I have a Fuji (the one that looks like an old Leica) and it has marvelous picture making ability and great color density. The problem is me, not the camera. You seem to take better pictures.
          Thanks! Wish I could say was new phone/camera. But same old Galaxy S8+ used for RMAF.😉
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• mep
            mep commented
            Editing a comment
            For whatever the reason, your show pictures came out great.

The synergistic room which was a band box sized room that one would think would crush the idea of achieving any sort of enjoyable listening. This UEF technology IMHO is nothing short of miraculous which is not a word I describe how a system sounds that often and especially within this space of this size. When Ted demoed the system as it stood without any of his electronics turned on it was pleasant but you could hear all the anomalies of the room well at work.. As he proceeded with the demo turning one piece of electronics on at a time I could hear a refinement that was so well received by my ears. The culmination with everything turned to me was nothing short of a breath taking experience in what again was a room that had nothing to offer as far as a listening space. I believe that this newest equipment which is based on his UEF technology can achieve the level of performance I experienced no matter what the rooms size or configurations are. This was my room experience for the show.

Comment

• chris h
            chris h commented
            Editing a comment
            Bodhi
            I felt that the Magicos sound on the first recording demoed which was predominately female vocals with the SR gear engaged became such a pleasingly refined presentation that allowed every nuance in her voice as well as the content of the recording to be realized .I desired no more or less than what the SR equipment was creating. I will add without the SR technology engaged the presentation of her voice while pleasant really stuck out to much for my taste to the rest of the recording.
            I will be demoing in my space the new SR powercell 12 and removing my RGPC 1200P which is connected to a 220v step down transformer . I will post my findings after I have spent the proper time as per Ted Denney which is at least a week with the unit. I just want to add one amazing thing this conditioner claims to do is its ability to plug any amp of any current draw without any limitation to that draw while also supplying on demand current where necessary. Unlimited power and headroom all works for me in theory

• Bodhi
            Bodhi commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris, thanks for your f’back on both the Magico S5 mk2’s and SR UEF technology. It sounds like that combo was musically engaging & able to draw you into the music, which is what it’s all about. I must admit I am more of an old school guy with room treatments, but following your positive f’back I will check out the SR products.

• chris h
            chris h commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Bodhi Here is a link to SR latest demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlF-uP3lM44 Put on a set of good headphones and judge for yourself. I will tell you at this point in my room I have used test panels to deal with 1st and 2nd reflection points with new- founded results. That said I am always open to what technology can offer in the vain of what they were designed to do. Let me know what you think

Thank you, Myles - great stuff!
          Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, darTZeel 18NS, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1,CH Precision P1, Schiit Yggdrasil, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

Myles, thanks for the coverage. one thing I noticed about CAF which sets it apart from most shows is the quirky gear (i.e. vintage, one-off, off the beaten path, etc) looking at other show reports much of yours is absent of it--intentionally or not--but quirky is good in my book. this looks like a show I might go to the effort to attend even being from the opposite coast...and ive always had a good time in DC, lots to see and do.
            Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Valvet | Muse Elec.| Innuos | Klipsch

A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know when when you are wrong - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Working...
            X