No announcement yet.

Hong Kong Hi Fi Show 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the write up Shane. Very interesting. It looks like a number manufacturers have changed distributors from just a year ago. The competition is extreme in that market.

I agree the Albedos sounded great. Last year they showed with EAR Yoshino. Very good synergy going there.

Comment

• garylkoh
      garylkoh commented
      Editing a comment
      And other manufacturers will change distributors before next show. There's quite a bit of turmoil in the HK market.

Shane,

Thanks for the Hong Kong Hi Fi Show pictures.
    Last edited by Dre_J; 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM. Reason: detail
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post
      The Zellaton speakers with the Dohman table was nice and clean sounding

35660412344_cd5d55c291_b.jpg

35660412784_5ec4cbbca3_b.jpg

36098404910_74fb3083d6_b.jpg

36358076891_c4b47b626b_b.jpg

Whereas the Tannoy/Accuphase room was warmer sounding

36098404000_b11a4a315b_b.jpg

35660411024_f53758d545_b.jpg
      Interesting combo: Zellatron with Kaguras. Kind of opposite US distributor who uses CH-Precision with the speakers.Did you get to hear the Origine DAC. Really impressed me a couple of years ago in the LAMM/Wilson room. In fact, thought it sounded better than the table that year at CES. Tried to get it for review (it's what now around 50K?) but they were kind of flakes and didn't seem to be able to get a US distributor. Plus at least at the time, it was on RBCD since the designer when I spoke with him didn't believe in hi-rez digital. Whatever the reason, it sound extremely un-digital like. I also think the server is the one Albert von Schweikert raved about for years and used at shows.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I went back to the show on Sunday morning and thankfully at that time it was not that crowded. I was able to visit some new rooms that I did not see on Friday.

the Genesis Speakers sounded excellent - 3d image was good, mainly due to the rear firing drivers no doubt.

36538678345_e363c13fb7_b.jpg

The small Penaudio speakers sounded sweet and floated nicely - quite impressed

36538676495_294a2c383e_b.jpg

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          My buddy has the Penaudio speakers (he now writes for ETM) and loves them!

The Air tight room was very good and the Air tight amps drove the Karma speakers very well. We even got to meet Mr Air Tight - Miura-san

35729633493_c4c999e6e9_b.jpg

36538674345_646f854899_b.jpg

Serbian turntable that uses Kuzma tonearms

36538675005_bd0eae58a4_b.jpg

Miura-san - the man in person a lovely gentleman.

One may think these are Maarten speakers - but they are not. A new design from an Italian speaker company - I still can't read the name of it - sounded pretty good, looked a million bucks.

35729629763_2e1dbfe457_b.jpg

The EAR/Chario room sounded extremely good considering the music was being played with a Clearaudio Concept turntable

35729621673_ec081a382b_b.jpg

36401059971_4ce6a318ba_b.jpg

new Alexia 2

36098414860_529292108f_b.jpg

36098411280_1d147c8207_b.jpg

Comment

Unfortunately this Vienna acoustics based system was worse of show - Vienna speakers sound good, so it must have been the crappy streaming they were using as a source - Can't believe they continued to play the system the way it sounded - flat, boomy with recessed vocals and zero musicality.

35729619833_6d5b5f0353_b.jpg

This was opposite in being good sound from streaming.

36401055481_4633e6fa0d_b.jpg

36401054291_e57128c9c2_b.jpg

The Sugden / harbeth room sucked as well - dark sounding with little real musical detail.

35703812184_ea1b4f88cb_b.jpg

35703811614_3d8f504faa_b.jpg

This miniature SME was pretty cool.

36401052111_f8c59ec643_b.jpg

I have no interest in headphones, but these Sony's piqued my interest

The Lumin Vivid room was pretty good, however a lower treble sheen seems to irritate somewhat.

35703809814_4ef91216df_b.jpg

36492356846_d81b904dbe_b.jpg

The Estellon room sounded a lot better today compared to Friday

36401049071_4be717ff9f_b.jpg

36492354406_a829eb8602_b.jpg

This under 10K project table was providing the front end for the massive Avalon speakers - just goes to show you do not need a 30K plus table for superb sound.

36370279962_37d5354063_b.jpg

Comment

Best sound at the show?

For me - The large Avalon system and the Albedo speaker based system. The Penaudio systems was best small speaker based system.

36358088871_c360ddc676_b.jpg

36449242706_736b9329a6_b.jpg

36538676495_294a2c383e_b.jpg

Last edited by Metamatic; 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

the YG's were not sounding great for some reason, but will have another listen later today to hear if they improve.

the very large main hall - a bit like CES and so many people

This room sounded really good. The Albedo speakers were excellent

Could not really comment on the sq as the Chinese musak was so unfamilar

impressive pre

The Piega room sounded pretty good

The Estelon / Devialet room sounded flat and lifeless - like they were playing mp3's.

the Advantgarde room which was right next door sounded great.

Huge Wisdoms being driven by 5 x Dägostino

sex still sells in Asia

Magico M3's. man are the small for the price they charge.

Were those the super Chord amplifiers? They sounded surprisingly good a couple of years ago on the Estelon speakers.

Is it just me or was it weird seeing the sign for Jadis Electronics Ltd and in one they had ARC electronics and T&A in the other?

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Metamatic
                Metamatic commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Myles, The Albedo speakers being driven by the Chord amp/pre amp sounded superb. I was not expecting the sound I heard - not doubt the ultimate full rez front end of the Clearaudio table had a lot to do with that.
                There were many tables in many rooms, however most rooms were more concerned with the table spinning than actually playing vinyl records. To me that was poor form to those distributors as generally the better sounding rooms were spinning vinyl.

Jadis distribute a lot of different gear, as do Radar.

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah don't judge the price of the Magico's M3s by their size; instead judge them based on weight!

Mikey -- as well as Gary was there -- and said on FB that attendance when you counted in the three day passes was around 38K people for the three day show. Mikey took some pics 45 mins before the closing bell and the show was still mobbed. Last day of most US shows is like a ghost town.

Thanks for the great pics Shane. This isn't the first time you've been to the HK show either is it? How did this year's show compare to past years?

Finally, what would be the one piece of gear given the choice that you would bring home with you?

Comment

• Metamatic
                Metamatic commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Myles

I have been to the HK this year and last year. Exact same layout and similar these from the distributors.
                Each afternoon the crowds were insane and seemed a bit larger than last year.

In a perfect world, I would have brought the Avalon Tesseract speakers. Quite smitten with the sound and look in person.

• garylkoh
                garylkoh commented
                Editing a comment
                According to the organizers, total attendance was up this year. That 38k figure was conservative as they don't figure that everybody who bought a 3-day pass would have come back!

Anyway, the show is 10am to 8pm Fri/Sat and 10am to 6pm on Sun. All three days, we had to kick people out of the room at closing time. On Sunday at 6pm, we were still mobbed.

One reason for the less than stellar sound in many rooms is because the system had to be turned off at the end of the day!!! The convention center does not allow the power to be on overnight.

Marcus, Don't recognize that grounding cable, looks like its attached to the flight case where the pro amps are in.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tripoint View Post
                  Marcus, Don't recognize that grounding cable, looks like its attached to the flight case where the pro amps are in.
                  Yes. Interesting.
                  Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• Marcus
                    Marcus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    From Chris: "The Tripoint Troy signature was solely connected to the active crossover of the horn system further reducing ground noises to minimal."

Great coverage!!!

I was happy to see Audio Extreme showing my E-5's

Comment

I went back to the show on Sunday morning and thankfully at that time it was not that crowded. I was able to visit some new rooms that I did not see on Friday.

the Genesis Speakers sounded excellent - 3d image was good, mainly due to the rear firing drivers no doubt.

36538678345_e363c13fb7_b.jpg

Glad you liked the Genesis/Viola system. If you came in on Sunday morning, the system would have been cold. The technician who was supposed to come in at 8am to warm up the system did not, and they only turned things on a couple of minutes before 10am. My Platinum Phono likes being on for at least 4 hours before starting to sound musical.... and it's usually just before closing time when the system begins to perform.

One of the quirks of the HK show. But at least everyone (may be except the systems running on batteries) gets a level playing field.

Comment

• Metamatic
                      Metamatic commented
                      Editing a comment
                      hi Gary. I was there on Sunday morning, before 12 noon. Only time there were no crowds. the guy unfortunately was not spinning vinyl with AF3 - so I could not comment on the sound of your phono stage. To me that was a pity as I have heard great things about your phono stage and I have heard a lot.

btw - my all time fav listening experience was listening to the super large Genesis Dragon speakers a couple of years back in the Forthwise Central location. not sure why your distributor could/ did not bring them to the show, it would have been spectacular despite the not perfect room.

• garylkoh
                      garylkoh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a real pity!! They ran short of DACs and CD players for the set-up and the digital source was an un-optimized laptop playing Tidal streaming and some local files. They way it is with the HK Show, they wait until there is a big crowd before doing the actual demo.

I am STILL waiting for Forthwise to bring the Dragons to the show. Only time they did it, it was in the big Theater 2. Now that they have given up the big Central location and moved into a tiny space in Man Yee building, I don't know where the Dragon will be able to stretch her legs.

Did anyone get pictures or impressions of the sound in the Living Voice room?

Comment

• Metamatic
                      Metamatic commented
                      Editing a comment
                      there was no Living Voice room from what I saw.
                  Working...
                  X