Affordable Showcase at LA Audio Show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable Showcase at LA Audio Show!

Well, since Dave posted it elsewhere today, I guess I can mention it here. but at the upcoming LA Audio Show in June, in addition to the great and highly hospitable hospitality suite that Positive Feedback will be hosting with Dave and Carol Clark and Dr. David Robinson, PF will also be hosting a second suite showcasing low cost, high value (some would dare say affordable) gear and systems, hosted by yours truly. If all works according to plan, there will be several system configurations to demo, with nothing, except maybe one set of speakers, costing over $1000! We will be encouraging attendees to bring their own choices of music to play, and we'll be out to prove that really enjoyable sound can be had without breaking the bank, or without having to wait until you're old to afford it!

We'll be working to make this a fun, non-condescending and highly inclusive suite, obviously focusing the younger or less experienced crowd. However, we would encourage everyone here to stop by visit and see what we have going on.
    Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 12-23-2016, 04:28 AM.
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
    Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
    Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
    Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

sounds like fun
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I hope the budget system demos are very well received and crowded as this the sort of thing that can attract new enthusiasts and perhaps encourage more manufactures to repopulate this end of the market with new products.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
        I hope the budget system demos are very well received and crowded as this the sort of thing that can attract new enthusiasts and perhaps encourage more manufactures to repopulate this end of the market with new products.
        That's the whole idea. We have some serious marketing plans to attract a younger crowd to the show and our room.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        -
        Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
        Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
        Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
        Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

you gonna have turntables, tonearms, and carts for less than a grand set up?
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
            you gonna have turntables, tonearms, and carts for less than a grand set up?
            Of course, not sure what yet, but probably things like the U-Turn, Fluance, hopefully a Music Hall, Pro-ject or Rega. I've got a Music Hall 2.3 SE with acrylic platter and cork mat in for review and it's under a grand with a cartridge, and way better than you would expect.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            -

Comment

JMO, of course, but I don't think any LP system can compete sonically with a digital-only system at that price, or even at several multiples of that price. If you think it can, I'll be interested in hearing it
              Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
              Pass Labs INT60
              Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
              REL S3
              Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
              Torus IS5

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                Id say that at $1K, its a toss up between analog and digital. Any higher than that, analog wins.

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                I see it the other way around, the burden rests on a digital system at that price range that wont drive me out of the room or leave me completely detached from the sound coming out of it.

• Steve Lefkowicz
                Steve Lefkowicz commented
                Editing a comment
                As I said, we aim to be inclusive, and show them them better sound for the music they have, not the music audiophiles think they should listen to. If they have records, I want to show they can do better than Crosley or Ion. If they have digital, even if it is MP3 or iTunes downloads, we will play them. We'll also hopefully show them that full res FLAC or high res files sound better than their 128kbbs mp3.

Obviously ELAC speakers, their integrated, and streamer come to mind. As well as the Auralic Mini. Schiit Audio also comes to mind. Cabling can be entry level from someone (Cardas perhaps?). Sadly the new Auralic integrated at $3700 is out of the running, but it is an integrated, dac, streamer, and phono all in one. Let me know if I can be of help. Welcome to borrow my desktop system - Schiit, Parasound, Canare, ELAC. All together around $1k. The two room are on the same floor.
              Dave Clark
              Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
              www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

Doesn't VPI have a turntable with a phono stage and a headphone amp built in? what does that cost?

Comment

• Dave Clark
                  Dave Clark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  VPI Player with a headphone amplifier, phonostage, and pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. $1200.

VPI Player with a headphone amplifier, phonostage, and pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. $1200.
                Dave Clark
                Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
                www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Clark View Post
                  Obviously ELAC speakers, their integrated, and streamer come to mind. As well as the Auralic Mini. Schiit Audio also comes to mind. Cabling can be entry level from someone (Cardas perhaps?). Sadly the new Auralic integrated at $3700 is out of the running, but it is an integrated, dac, streamer, and phono all in one. Let me know if I can be of help. Welcome to borrow my desktop system - Schiit, Parasound, Canare, ELAC. All together around $1k. The two room are on the same floor.
                  Most of those are on my list. I'll send you my thought via email.
                  Steve Lefkowicz
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Clark View Post
                    Or the small Audience speakers?
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                      Editing a comment
                      For $995, I would expect something far more full range than the Audience. Elac UniFi F5 or the Tekton Lore, or something like that. I might actually bring my own Tektons.

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      $1250 ET 16a

http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

• Steve Lefkowicz
                      Editing a comment
                      Those are cool. Always liked ET speakers. Also, for $1199 you can get Magenplaner Super MMG with the bass panel.

Just an update here, but so far I have commitments from the following companies:

Audioengine - Speakers, amplifier, Bluetooth
                    Audioquest - Cables, DAC, accessories
                    Auralic - Music Streamer
                    Belkin - Powerline conditioning
                    Elac - Speakers, amplifier
                    Emotiva - Speakers, amplifier
                    Magnepan - Speakers
                    Music Hall - Turntable, amplifier
                    Pro-Ject - Turntable, phono stage, amp, record cleaner
                    Schiit - DAC, Preamp, Power Amp
                    Tekton - Speakers
                    U-Turn - Turntable

Plus, I'll be bringing my own iFi iPhono and iDAC, a PC running JRiver Media Center, a Spin Clean record cleaner, Morrow Audio interconnects and Canare 4S11 speaker cables and whatever else is needed to make sure everything is working right.

Looks like we will have systems ranging from around $400 to just under $5000. Just need to arrange for functional,low cost racks.

Hope those of you that attend the show stop by to check it out!

Steve Lefkowicz
                    -

Comment

Great idea and forum for growing market segment. My daughter is a typical millennial(Going to college and living reasonably large on me) Ha-ha. She works for spending money and gets good grades.

She and her friends are really into music(mainly alternative) and see alot of shows. They have horrible stereo systems. Almost all are based on blue tooth and convenience. At their house, I donated an old NAD 7240 integrated, Wharfedale Diamonds and an Arcam rDock Uni for iPhone, Ipods etc. Sadly this old system is much better then alot of what her friends have. Excluding the Arcam, this is a 40 year old equipment(They were perplexed with the NAD cassette deck. Never seen one before & told me to bring it home) Need to develop a market for these young folks. I don't want them at my house messing with my good system.
                      Last edited by Hawk; 02-13-2017, 08:38 PM.
                      CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

Busy breaking in speakers and trying to match amps with them. Somewhat tough since a lot of the equipment hasn't arrived yet. Maggie .7 speakers sounding sweet with the Heed Elixier integrated amp and surprisingly the Emotiva TA-100, a $399 receiver (complete with FM tuner, DAC and phono stage). ELAC B6 ($279/pair) playing way above their price point with their own Element integrated ($699) and the Little Emotiva airmotiv B1 ($299/pair) sounding very different from the ELACs but highlighting other positive attributes. I'm bringing my own ELAC F5 speakers, so they are already well broken in. Still waiting for the Audioengine speakers and the big Tekton Double Impacts, which are in the paint shop this weekend.

Have a feeling I'll be getting the pre-production Schiit Vidar power amp from their showroom, as they might not have production units ready in time.
                        Will have four turntables up and running. ranging from $309 to $750 complete with arm and cartridge - U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus, Music Hall's new $399 mmf 1.3 that comes complete with a built in (bypassable) phono preamp and their more upscale mmf2.3SE ($750). Also have a cool looking Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon ($499).

If any of you stop by to check this out, especially if we have met before, please understand I do suffer from injury induced facial blindness (not complete, but about 80% for people I've met after 2003) so even if we know each other, don't assume I know who you are, even if we talked earlier in the day.

And sorry guys, but no tape decks!
                        Steve Lefkowicz
                        -

Comment

Working...
                        X