• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Tomorrow my show thoughts.
    did I miss it? I'm still curious how the Robin's room sounded
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      No got caught up writing up a review for PF this week.

Some interesting Industry News

On Saturday I happened to while wandering around the hall of the Park Lane Hotel bump into Rondi D’Agostino. While I don’t know about you, no one ever never sent me a press release announcing that Rondi had reclaimed control of Krell. As it turns out, the private equity firm that had wrested control from Dan and Rondi back in 2009 ran the company into the ground and wanted out (remember that two top Krell employees recently left for greener pastures: Peter McKay went to Magico and Bill McKiegan rejoined Dan at D’Agostino). After some negotiations, Rondi regained control of Krell sans any monetary remuneration. Rondi is now the Managing Director at Krell and is capably assisted by long time Krell engineers Patrick Bresnahan and Dave Goodman along with VP of Sales Gordon Shackleford.

Rondi shared with me that Krell has several new products scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2017 including two new amplifiers and possibly even a phono section. Among the products slated for release are a 200 wpc stereo amplifier and 800 wpc monoblock amplifiers. All products will be made in the USA. Slated for Quarter 2 release is an Atmos processor.

At the show, the 300 wpc $16,000 Krell Solo 375 monoblock amplifiers with iBias Class A paired with Krell $7000 Illusion 2 current mode preamplifier equipped with the 24/192 LPCM digital module really sounded good driving the new Alta Audio Titanium speakers (well at least the preamplifier because only listened to analog here). There was no question that the Krell amplifiers really provided the control that the Alta Audio speakers demand.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0132.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	32122Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0133.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	32123Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0135.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	32124Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0134.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	32125
      I agree the room did nkt sound good. It had poor imaging
      as aell. Kind of rolled off highs
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry Al. Which room were you referring to?

Just landing. Ill
      lost when I get home. You took pictures of the room his speakers look like your magico a bit.
      analog stuff.
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

This room odd sound poor imaging , playing vinyl. Cutt off highs.
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that was the Carver room on the second floor. I think they showed those speakers, albeit probably an earlier version at RMAF a couple of years ago and most were unimpressed.

First, some random thoughts about the 2016 NY Audio Show before getting to some of the show sounds.

This year’s show was very much a good news/bad news situation. To begin with, the good news. The NY Audio Show is finally back at a nice, centrally located hotel in Manhattan for the first time in three years! Since the last audio show at the Helmsley Palace Hotel. The Park Lane is easy accessible by subway, bus or taxi. It’s a hop, skip and jump to get to the Park Lane from Penn or Grand Central Station. Some rooms, like Robyatt Audio, even had a beautiful view overlooking Central Park. Now that there’s a permanent site, maybe the NY Audio Show can finally start to realize expectations. A few companies even rolled out some new products including the Soulution 511 stereo amplifier, Sadurni Acoustics Miracoli horn speakers from Mexico, Soulines turntables from Slovenia, Alta Audio Titanium speakers, etc.

That said, this show can’t get any traction and is a shell of the old NY Stereophile Audio Show. The days when the Stereophile Show drew between 12-13,000 attendees at one of the Waldorf-Astoria Shows. It’s a total mystery why this show given that New York a mecca of high-end audio just can’t draw attendees (both exhibitors and attendees). Are New Yorkers travelling to other high-end audio shows? Cynical? Have other sources of listening to equipment? Depend on the internet for their decision making? Depend on magazines for information?

To be fair though, those were very different times. There was only one big high-end audio show, alternating between coasts, held by Stereophile each year. Actually I thought the NY Audio show was starting to get some traction three years ago when the Chester Audio Group and the Birds held the show at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. That NY Audio Show probably the most rooms to date, lots of vendor tables, lots of software, lots of traffic and most of all, lots of audiophile excitement. But then the show was moved for whatever the reason out of New York City and up to Rye Brook in Westchester, NY. That really cast a pall on the show. New Yorkers just don’t cross water, one either had to drive or take Metro North to get to the show and the Chester Group didn’t lay out travel arrangements until the very end. As a result, many audiophiles, including me, skipped the show. In the end though, it still comes down to ROI, picking up new dealers and the subject of are there too many audio shows?

This years’ show featured thirty one rooms spread out among four floors. The registration desk and Carver Audio, Sound by Singer and the Marketplace (in the ballrooms) were located on the second floor of the hotel and the rest of the exhibitors an elevator’s ride away on floors 7-9. That’s only a handful more exhibitors than the first NY Audio six years ago. Floors 7 to 9 each had roughly four larger rooms but the bulk of the rooms were very tiny and at seated at best 6-8 attendees. The small rooms tended to make attendance appear larger than it was actually (I’m still waiting for the final attendance figures). Only once did I spy a line waiting to get into a room in the two days on Friday or Saturday. What I didn’t understand, though, were the exhibitors that ignored you when you walked into the room.

The Marketplace proved disappointing having a Mytek/MQA demo, a smattering of headphones, accessories, record cleaning machines, cables and some tweaks. Shockingly, Chesky Records with some CDs and LPs was the only software dealer at the show (well Arnold Martinez/The Tweak Studio had a couple of CDs). No new or used software dealers. That was shocking and more than a few audiophiles commented to me on the lack of software during the show.

Soundwise, the show was a work-in-progress. This was the first time the show was at the Park Lane and exhibitors, despite visiting the hotel before the show, didn’t know what to expect. The sound on Friday was disappointing. Most of the rooms were seriously dynamically compressed and had no upper octave octaves. Everything sounded boring and squashed. Saturday proved a little better, with some exhibitors beginning to figure it out. Most rooms sound the best on the last day but because of the NYC Marathon (and basically that I had seen all the rooms) I passed on the last day.

The Chester Group has already announced that the next NY Audio Show will be held on November 3-5, 2017. Again, it’s very hard to predict the future given that the New York Show will have competition next year from The Capital AudioFest that will also be held in November 2017.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Working...
        X