2017 NY Audio Show Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 NY Audio Show Report

I am very conflicted when it comes to the NY Audio Show. There’s the side of me that wants more than life itself for the show to succeed. I love the idea of having a high-end audio show in my hometown. I love the idea of hopping on the 6 train and being at the show in 15 minutes.

Then there’s the journalist side. The NY Audio Show has been far from a resounding success. Few major urban and suburban centers sport a greater concentration of audiophiles than the NY/Metropolitan area. That said, not only hasn’t the show grown, it’s been treading water for the last three years and is on life support. One year at the Waldorf Astoria, then two years at the Helmsley Palace. Then four years ago, I thought the NY Audio Show held in Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriot—despite NYer’s having to cross water—showed a glimmer of hope. Turnout was up and there was optimism—both on the exhibitor and attendee front—for bigger and better shows. Then came the disastrous decision to hold the show in Westchester. Then the show was thanks to an audiophile who worked in the hotel industry back to the heart of Manhattan. But even that move wasn’t enough to resuscitate the show and bring the exhibitors back.

There’s no question that New York Audio Show is Roy Bird's and The Chester Groups’ last but most desirable plum left in his North American portfolio. Therefore, it seems Bird has been pumping everything he can into keeping the NY Audio Show alive. To wit, The Chester Group announced that next year’s NY Audio Show will be held November 9-11, 2018. This years’ show occupied floors 7 to 9 of the Park Lane Hotel on Central Park South in addition to three exhibitor tables near the check-in booth. There were roughly the same number of rooms (25) as last year; on the hand, the marketplace was discontinued and those exhibitors were relocated to small rooms (Acoustic Sounds, Tweak Studio, Mytek, Chesky Records). Three in fact in one small room that led to major overcrowding. Absent also were the two large, main floor rooms from last year’s show. (Sound by Singer and Bob Carver.). There's no doubt that The Capital Audiofest moving to November a mere one week before the New York Show significantly affected exhibitor attendance; even with the offer to arrange shipping from Maryland to New York. But then VPI and Pure Audio and Tweak Studio exhibited at both events.

On the plus side. There were several new exhibitors at this years’ show including Triangle Arts and Eggleston, Metronome Electronics and Raven and Legacy Audio. Very few dealers were represented at the show with only one dealer from the five boroughs (Adirondack Audio) supporting the show. (there were the usual parasites hooking onto the show and inviting audiophiles to their stores.) The only other dealers at the show were Woodbridge Audio (who have been there since the first show), Dave Lalin aka The Audio Doctor (who also has previously exhibited), Value Electronics from Scarsdale (a new exhibitor that seems more of a HT oriented store) and Arnold Martinez and Tweak Studio (also a repeat exhibitor).

The other positive was attendance. I only went on Saturday but the halls and rooms were packed with people. That is tempered by the fact that most of the rooms were teeny-ttiny and could only hold six to ten chairs. Thus it was hard to get into several rooms. But even the “bigger” rooms such as Woodbridge Audio, AXISS Audio, Triangle Arts and VPI/Pure Audio were jammed and that spoke to show attendance. The crowd size also made getting information from the exhibitors extra hard. Not to mention few had taken the time to prepare a sheet listing the gear in their rooms.

The rooms were generally nothing to write home about sonically. Almost all the rooms suffered from low end problems. Interestingly, it just wasn't boominess but an inability to pressurize the room as well as lose the lowest octave. Most significantly, however, was very few rooms had any life to them. Yes they played music but there was a decided lack of aliveness to the music. Specifically, the music was boring sounding.

Finally, there’s no question that the show is hurting from the plethora of North American Shows, cost of exhibiting, etc. But that’s the topic for another thread now that the show season is over. Four shows for me this year and they all kicked my butt.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

The question isn't how did these speakers sound but how did they get them into the room? Or what they were thinking since it was like listening to headphones. The Orinda Acoustics speakers distributed by Laufer Teknik couldn't have been more than two or three feet apart and the sound was bad. (as you can see, I couldn't get far enough back in the room to get a good shot of these behomeths.) The three way speaker features a convention bass woofer combined with midrange compression driver with neodymium magnet and high frequency horn tweeter with alnico magnet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_123639.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	70651

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      What are these lustrous obelisks with sinks?

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Fixed. Guess I was still in shock.

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Why anyone would want to demonstrate there audio speakers in such a room was nothing short of let's see ludicrous obsurd insane. When I walked into the room I said to myself you have got to be kidding me. If I was the representative of these speakers I would have never unpacked them and in turn saving the disserve this room was about to serve upon them.

One of the better sounding rooms--and in the same spot as last years' show--was the Alta Audio speaker, Krell electronics and VPI room. The $32K Alta Audio Titanium Hestia speakers plus new $3000 feet seem a touch tilted to the low end and the $17.5 Krell Solo 375 monoblock amplifiers helped to firm things up. Combined with VPI's Avenger Reference table, the system was easy to listen and played large and small scale music with equal aplomb. The Hestias also brought some great soundstaging to the table. Like last year, thought the upper octaves were a touch soft with some loss of ambience. Other associated gear included Krell's $7000 Illusion 2 preamplifier and Paul Speltz's Anti-Cables.

Had a chance to talk with Rondi D'Agostino of Krell industries too about forthcoming products. Krell had on hand a prototype 7-channel amplifier (last year was an empty box) and expects to ship the first quarter of 2018 a new integrated amplifier, DAC and digital amplifier. Then Rondi expects the company will get back to the company's strength: big power amplifiers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171111_100452.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	70635

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike Levy was kind enough to let me choose an LP for a listen. My choice was Willie Nelsons recording of Stardust lp This is where I found the enjoyment of the musical aspect of his alta speakers using a VPI TTand sound smith cartridge.
      Any digital playback was ok at best

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought Krell was on life support. I realize Rhondi was Dan's ex, and they're still separate cos. the question remains what will the 'new' krell be like (sonic-wise).

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      People always say you can’t discern anything from HD impromptu videos but I thought this room sounded good on Mike Fremer Analog planet this morning.

Woodbridge Audio from New Jersey used Levinson electronics to drive the hybrid Martin-Logan Rennaissance ESL 15A speakers.

The sound was what you would expect from Martin-Logan. Big, fast and detailed though thought a touch to the lean side here. Also shown was the VPI designed Mark Levinson turntable and gimbaled arm. Note: it really struck me for the first time just how large the woofer cabinet of the ESL15s are compared to my old Summit-Xs!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_153957.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	70646Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_154033.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	70647Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_154016.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	70648Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_154047.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	70649

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Paul S
      Paul S commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm yet to hear the newer ML's, really must change that

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel they’ve improved their hybrids with ever new generation. For me, ML are the best estats out there. Others just don’t have the transparency I seek from a stat. But MLs can be ruthlessly revealing and need to be surrounded by good gear.

VPI showed with Ze'ev Schlick's Pure Audio speakers at CAF and again at the New York Audio Show. This time however, Ze'ev brought along his modular $15K open baffle Trio 15 with Voxativ AC-X Field Coil FR driver speakers. The same kind of transducer found in the old Western Electric speakers where instead of magnets, the driver is controlled by a coil and external power supply. Advantage are said to be a far more linear response over a longer range of motion. The rest of the system included a PASS integrated amplifier, VPI new Voyager phonostage, VPI Avenger turntable and Verastarr ribbon cabling.

I didn't because of the crowded conditions get the best seat in house. What I could discern was a certain purity in the Field Coil driver; on the other hand, the woofer just didn't under these conditions seem to integrate with the field coil driver. Maybe another time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_114259.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	70653Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_113921.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	70654Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_113932.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	70655

Some of the energized crowd in the packed VPI room on Saturday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_154441.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	70656

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Myles I totally agree with your critique of the sound being presented. I felt that the sound in the VPI room at Capital fest which showcased these speakers with a different mid tweeter setup was a much better offering to how they sound. The size of these rooms in general did a tremendous disservice to those showing there product

• Paul S
      Paul S commented
      Editing a comment
      It seems that the rooms at these events are often not good enough for the exhibitors to show off their gear, we did a Chester Group show here in the UK in 2014 and paid double for a decent room, got a good sound thankfully but many struggled in the small rooms..

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Rooms are an issue and stopped many from exhibiting at the show.

Haniwa from Japan brought along a full Haniwa system including their HSP01 full range speakers, HDSA01 digital system amplifer and precision vinyl data pickup system including the HEQA03 phono equalizer with its unique waveform recovery circuit and ultra low inductance HCTR01 mk-II moving coil mkil cartridge (0.3uH/0.4ohms).

On another note: the unconventional Viv Lab Rigid Float tonearm. This tonearm questions the conventional thinking about tracking error (vs. rigidity). The arm actually has 8% distortion, yet is impossible to detect. Not to mention the magneto fluid bearing oil.

I am--and other attendees--were kind of shocked and appalled by how record are treated in the room. I cringed. Oh, Dr. Kubo bought (or was given?) a large number of HP's albums when he died. Those are the one seen piled on top of each other.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_105905.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	70658Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_110058.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	70659

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      isn't that how everybody handles their vinyl rarities? they just toss them onto hard metal surfaces with sharp edges or on each other with careless abandon - like so many worthless CDs

• Paul S
      Paul S commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats the first thing I noticed Rob!

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I think handling records like that is actually a felony in NY punishable by two years in jail. Or being banished to listening to an eternity of MP3.

Nestled away in one of the smaller room were the attractive $11.9K Sonner Audio stand mounted, 2-way speakers. The speakers were being driven by the 48 wpc Line Magnetics 508IA SE triode amplifiers and Abbington Music Research DP-777SE digital front-end. The speakers feature a one-inch ring dome diaphragm tweeter and 6-inch custom designer magnesium cone woofer. The speakers reportedly go down to 43 Hz. I was unfamiliar with the music but the speakers disappeared and the sound was very spacious.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_121519.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	70672
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_121524.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	70673

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish I could have heard this room. As an owner and admirer of the iFi Phono 2 I would have liked to have heard the flagship Phono stage presented here.

Technics--trying to make a mark again in the high-end audio scene--was back at another show. In case you don't know, the Technics audio group is run a woman and former musician. Reportedly she must put her seal of approval on any audio equipment released by Technics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171111_122402.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	70675Click image for larger version

Name:	20171111_122409.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	70676

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Skylab
      Skylab commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a re-issue / new version of the RS-1500/1700 RTR???

EDIT: sorry, I just saw the J-Corder pamphlet. Guess I wanted to believe...

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I had the same thought when I went in the room! 🤗

The $19K Triangle Magellan Quatuor speakers and Luxman electronics including the $21K 8 watt MQ300 stereo amplifier using the TA-300 Takatsuki 300B tubes room proved better than expected. Very nice mids if somewhat limited at the extremes and a bit too smooth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_114955.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	70679Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_120850.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	70680Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_114926.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	70678

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      For what was represented as a top of the line gear was a flat and uninteresting presentation. Maybe it was the lp being played at the time added to my ok at best experience. But after two songs I moved on

• Paul S
      Paul S commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you hear the CD? Looks like D-08u, I heard D-06u and HiFi News show recently and as you did, left underwhelmed which was a real shame as I was expecting much better.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry no I didn’t.

More to follow tomorrow.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Myles
      Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Thanks Miles. Tiny rooms.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

The +Audio room offered a simple all in one Project TT setup incorporating a floating plinth to all the electronics housed below in a cabinet where external components could be used along with digital wireless streaming using Bluetooth . To me the sound was inviting and easy to digest. At a price point of 1400.00 I believe for an all in one including a TT and having such a small footprint of space requirement was unique.
          Last edited by chris h; 11-13-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Neither did I get the second Laufer Teknik room. This room featured Mark Porzilli’s old Memory player and Absolare’s 150 wpc hybrid integrated amplifier. I’m not sure about the speakers since couldn’t find anyone in the room to ask. My guess is Sunny Cable Technologys H2W10 speakers (?). Just not sure what role the Memory Player has in today’s digital hierarchy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_123301.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	70742Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_123311.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	70743

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Some of the crowd in the jam packed Acoustic Sounds, Mytek and Chesky Records room. Many in the crowd packed the room to get a chance to chat with Acoustic Sounds owner Chad Kassem! Who recognizes the back of the head in the bottom right of the picture?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171111_104658.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	70745

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                Mikey?

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                We have a winner!
            Working...
            X