No announcement yet.

T.H.E. Show Newport...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian, what is the difference between the Mahler 3 at the show and the official version to be released? Thanks, Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      So, I cut out of office early yesterday i had little excuse to miss the show this year as I did last year. heck its only 1.5 miles from the office to Hotel Irvine. I didn't try to hear every room but I know I walked every floor. If it was digital only or at the very least didn't have tubes in the system I didn't waste precious time.

I'l cut to the chase, for me the single demo which had the greatest impact was the Parana Fidelity room. This was an honest system, not vying for SOTA or best of show in particular, what made this demo transformative was the R2R vs Vinyl demo. ORG provided an advance 15 ips copy of the latest Vanessa Fernandez recording of Zep covers. For direct comparisons Steve Norber had the 45 rpm vinyl cued up on the Basis/My Sonic labs vinyl front end, an ATR-102 modded by Grundman Mastering was used to roll tape. If there was any doubt about the gap between the best vinyl playback vs R2R they were swiftly and unanimously put to bed - and if you didn't already guess, tape killed vinyl today. I don't think there was a single attendee present that wasn't as gobsmacked as I was. I must have uttered "f**k me" at the least three times to myself. The realism and moreover tonal density of musicians/performers was like being a fly in the wall, present and live in studio. One's mind didn't have time to fill the gaps between live and memorex...it was all 'just there' the sensation was like that of hearing a live mic feed, not something you're used to if you haven't experienced R2R at this level. When the vinyl was played, suddenly the magic was less so, in some way much less. The sound became 'hollow' for lack of a better descriptor, the shortcomings of even a really good vinyl playback were laid bare in sharp contrast. There are of course other variables that may give R2R the upper hand, but it wasn't close enough to have changed the result.

I devised a new rating system after today...the Prana Fidelity demo gets the coveted three F-word room award based on the above.

to be continued...
      I did not need to read this post/thread. Thanks alot, Rob!
      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        Allen, its not like you didn't already know I will add that it has shown me that I'm fine with my vinyl rig where I sit, i'd rather put more energy into tape. I can't do 30ips with the Technics, but I do know where a tweaked ATR 102 with Manley repro electronics sits at this very moment just 30 mins drive from me and its awaiting a new owner LOL

• c1ferrari
        c1ferrari commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!
        Are you in L.A.?
        Edit: Of course...OC...LA -- you're in the area!
        Last edited by c1ferrari; 06-08-2016, 04:12 AM.

Originally posted by allenh View Post

I did not need to read this post/thread. Thanks alot, Rob!
      Even an ocean won't stop the most diehard tapehead when a machine is concerned!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Working...
      X