Day 2: The Show Begins in Earnest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 2: The Show Begins in Earnest

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_104034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	122936Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_110033.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	122938Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_105731.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	122935Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_105718.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	122937

First stop of the morning -- in large part they were on the same floor as my sleeping room -- was the Notable Audio room -- with the new Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20 Graphene speakers fronted by Doshi Audio's V3.0 generation of electronics.

The analog source was the massive J. Sikora Reference table from Poland; one mount held a Kuzma 12-inch 4-Pt arm and the other mount a J. Sikora KV12 VTA arm. Mike Trei mounted a Koetsu Onyx cartridge in the Kuzma and an Ortofon Anna Diamond in the Sikora. Cabling --as usual on Joseph Audio setups -- was provided by Cardas Audio.

The sound was one of the best so far at the show especially in those ever so critical midrange frequencies. The soundstage was expansive and the solidity of the center image was super rock solid.

With one caveat. The Koetsu really outshone the Anna Diamond. The Diamond just sounded lackluster and unlike the Century heard in the shorter Kuzma arm at Rich Cohn's a while back. Of course the Sikora arm is an unknown quantity and Mike Trei returned after hours tonight to swap the cartridges between arms. More manana.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_111930.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	122942

The Music Room specializing in used equipment sales made its debut at RMAF. Used gear is an important force driving the High-End industry not to mention a great way to build a High-End audio system. Components here included a vintage 1960 Mac amp, Line Magnetics (WE based preamp), Rega 8 table and Harbeth 40th anniversary speakers. Nice and mellow sound.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Next Level HiFi put together a system comprised of the new Class D Ansusz Aavik U380 integrated amplifier (available with built in DAC and phono or two phono sections), Borrensen 01 stand mounted speakers and Ansuz cables and accessories. The speakers threw a massive soundstage and completely disappeared within the field. The leading edge of instruments was razor sharp; on the other there was just a glimmer of coldness to the sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_170430.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	122944

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        probably the best speaker Michael B ever produced (i owned the original X-1). They do everything you said and disappear with the best of them.
        Last edited by Rob; 09-07-2019, 08:58 PM.

NOLA debuted the Concert Grand Gold 2 speaker at this year's RMAF. The speakers were powered by a VAC Statement 450S IQ tube amplifier; the rest of the system consisted of VAC's Master Linestage and DAC Mk. 2 and ARC Ref. CD8 transport. Nordost Odin 2 cable was used throughout the system.

By the way. The speakers are even bigger in person

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_132958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	122946

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Some pictures from the Marketplace at RMAF. Lots of music on CDs, LPs and tape were on sale as well as accessories, record cleaners, turntables, tubes and so much more. The Marketplace was jam packed with enthusiastic audiophiles when I stopped by early Friday afternoon.

Nicolai and his daughter Maria Kazantseva from Zavalinka Records, Russia. Maria is holding one of their newest recordings and this is her dad's first time in the US!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_154434.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	122951
        A new, soon-to-be released, inexpensive version of the renowned Keith Monk's RCM. Price slated for between roughly $700-900 depending upon finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_153746.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	122949
        Mike Trei, table setup guru extraordinaire chatting with the modern age father of vinyl Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_20616.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	122955

Music from China on LP and CD from En Music.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_145637.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	122954

Some other shots of the various booths and products at this year's RMAF Show. Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_153310.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	122948Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_153331.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	122950Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_153337.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	122952Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_153317.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	122953

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio brought along a number of the products he distributes including Primaluna, Kiseki, Sbooster and Feliks. The two latest additions to his stable of products include Pathos electronics from Italy and Tannoy speakers from the UK.

Name:	20190906_113208.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	122957Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_112608.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	122958Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_113229.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	122959

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Kevvy is in charge of Tannoy's dist? news to me.
            Last edited by Rob; 09-07-2019, 08:55 PM.

• J-Corder
            J-Corder commented
            Editing a comment
            J-Corder was excited to partner with Zavalinka. Their tapes are truly amazing. One listener on the J-Corder 1520 and Zavalinka tape was literally brought to tears. Really amazing experience. If you are a tape listener you need these tapes,

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Just announced Rob.

Alsyvox Boticelli speakers from Spain were paired with Omega Audio Products electronics and cables from Italy. The speakers showed promise but the room was too big for the speakers and the more I listened, the more I wanted to hear the Botticellis paired with different electronics. Exactly the same thoughts left with after hearing the Alsyvox at last year's show.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_164336.jpg Views:	321 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	122961

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• theaudioanalyst
            theaudioanalyst commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, I'm really surprised with your impressions...something must have been off when you were in the room. I'm not there, and rooms are clearly the most overlooked and arguably most significant factor in how ANY speaker fares, but... I was surprised with you statement, "Exactly the same thoughts left with after hearing the Alysvox at last year's show." I've heard the Botticelli's in a variety of setups, over number of shows now, the first time in Munich in 2017, and including last year's RMAF, where everyone I spoke with who heard them was as taken as I was... Here is what I had to say about their performance at last year's (2018) RMAF in my Show Report.

"I first heard a very similar system of electronics driving the AlsyVox loudspeakers in Munich in 2017 at the "renegade" HiFiDeluxe show held during High End Munich, but at the Marriott Hotel on Berliner Straße, just about a seven minute drive, or some three miles, Southwest of the MOC.

Using an all-out Omega Audio system, all designed and hand-crafted in Italy, including the DNA Timeless CDP, two box CD player ($10,920), the DNA Timeless two box converter ($8,740), and a pair of the DNA Timeless Mono Amplifiers, a four box, solid-state, 100Wpc ($20,150) system, all cabling was from The Element.

You may see some resemblance to a speaker formerly known as Leonardo. However, created by the same designer, Daniele Coen, he is using significantly updated technology, and this entirely new company is now called AlsyVox Audio Design. The products are still designed in Italy and built in Spain, and the model on hand was the AlsyVox Botticelli, a three-way full range ribbon, ($87,000/pr.).

This was one of the most captivating systems I heard at RMAF; liquid, rich tone, a huge and accurately sized soundstage, remarkable bass extension, and they pulled a complete vanishing act. The presentation was finely layered, with vivid dimensionality, and an almost scary natural presence. I was very impressed with their blistering transient attack and dynamic abilities, especially with percussion. Daniele Coen of AlsyVox has been trying to get me to review these panels since my first listen in May of 2017. We expect to make that happen soon..."
            Last edited by theaudioanalyst; 09-09-2019, 05:39 AM.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you enjoyed them Greg.

Missed you at RMAF this year.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I am gobsmacked that two comments:

1) The room was too big
            2) I’d like to hear the speakers with different electronics

Has been twisted into I didn’t like the speakers and personal attacks on my hearing.

COMMENTS IN THIS SUB-THREAD ARE OFFICIALLY CLOSED!

A $1250 system in the world of megabucks systems? Say it ain't so Joe!

The new $500 ELAC Debut Reference DBR 60 bookshelf speakers with improved cabinet bracing, slight changes to the drivers and some recently introduced xover mods were much improved sounding. That says something considering the original speakers were highly received. Driving the speakers was ELAC's $750 80 wpc Class A/B DS-A101 integrated amplifier with recently introduced streaming capability. The speakers had less of a signature sound as well as sounding smoother and less grainy. Bass was also more than respectable given the speaker's diminutive sound.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190906_121854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	122963

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
            Steve Lefkowicz commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder other than adding streaming, how different that amp is compared to the older version? I love the original and always wondered why it wasn't more popular among the under $1000 integrated amp market.

Another company introducing some new products in the bang for the category was UK company Cambridge Audio.

New at Rocky Mountain this year was the CX Series 2 series including the $599 CX CD transport, $1299 CX A81 80 wpc integrated amplifier with integral DAC (ESS Sabre chips) and $1099 CX N (V2) network streamer. $6000 UK manufacturer Q Acoustics Concept 300 speakers with their special attention to cabinet resonances rounded out the audio system.

Name:	image_20623.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	122966Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20622.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	122965

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thanks Myles for the pictures and comments.

Comment

Great stuff, Myles.
              Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Myles great coverage and pics...

if you get a chance, could check out the Tekton speakers (Room: 11116) they showing the Moab speakers (large and affordable?)

Comment

Comment

thank you Myles, for the great pics and your takes. this is only the 2nd RMAF I've ever missed.......wish I was there.

Comment

Thanks for the great photography and comments, Myles. I haven't been able to go to RMAF for a few years due it being held on Columbus Day weekend. Didn't realize it was earlier this year or I might have made an effort to attend. Maybe next year...
                      Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, CJ GAT/darTZeel 18NS, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/Black Beauty/Atlas SL/Opus-1,CH Precision P1, Schiit Yggdrasil, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

Working...
                      X