No announcement yet.

Rocky Mountain Audiofest Defies the Odds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nordost brought along a wide range of accessories to the show including digital USB cables and various vibration isolation devices such as the three levels of Sort Kones and Sort Lift (cables).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	30125
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Some scenes from the Marketplace. I think I know that person in front of the Chad's record crates!

Name:	DSC_0082.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	30127

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Canjam was a well attended despite being held in a tent in front of the hotel as well as two other rooms on the main floor of the Marriot.

Name:	DSC_0121.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	30129Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0122.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	30130Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0123.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	30131

This NBA Hall of Famer (and a member of the NBA's 50 Greatest players of all time list!) was also there to attend the Canjam Festival. Turns out former SA Spurs center David Robinson plays the flute in an orchestra and likes to listen to music late at night when he can't turn his system on. So he was hunting for some headphones suitable for the task. I'd also say that David was super approachable and just ordinary guy mixing with the crowd and talking about any subject ranging from basketball to music.

Here's David speaking with my buddy Andy Miles after breakfast at the Hilton Gardens Hotel.

Name:	DSC_0089.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	30132

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Lots to write about and plenty of pictures to upload. Way, way too many rooms to cover. For any person, any age, any work capacity! At least for someone who actually spends some time listening in each room and just doesn't run around trying to snap as many lousy pictures as possible to post online.

So here are some of my top pics for the show!

The top three sounds at the show were pretty easy for me:

Tied for best in my book.

1) Magico M3/Q-subs/Soulution/Berkeley Audio DAC/Baetis server/Kronos/Black Beauty/Clearaudio Statement/Tara Labs (enjoyed much more than last years S7 demo)
          1A) Vandersteen 7As/subs/with Vandersteen amplifier/Audio Research/AMG table and arm/DS Optical cartridge/Audioquest wiring and power conditioner

3) Avalon/Nagra/Kronos/EMT cartridge

Some other top choices at the show:

Kef Blades 2/VPI Avenger/Parasound

On a Higher Note/Kyomi Audio: Vivid Speakers/Luxman/AF table/Graham/Tech Das cartridge

Thrax Speakers and electronics/Dohmann table/Schroeder arm/Atlas cartridges/EnKlein cables (finally a success after two disappointing showings at Axpona and RMAF last year)

Von Schweikert/Endeavor speakers/VAC electronics/VPI Classic/J-Corder Technics reel-to-reel

Best value: ELAC U5 Towers ($1000) and ELAC integrated amplifier/DAC ($800) I'd say a tailored but very good sound for the money. The speakers do far more (not just sonically) than any speaker at their price point has any business of doing. Kudos to Andrew Jones!

Biggest surprise: Marguiles Audio from Mexico (hadn't heard their electronics in a long time and was impressed with the all tube sound)

Most interesting looking product (s): Metronome Kalista CD player (still thinking about others)

Most interesting headphone demo: though limited exposure here liked the sound of the Sonoma headphones+ headphone amplifier/Ampex 102 tape deck playing back one of Chad's 1/2-inch sampler tapes

Great read. I wish I had "time to stop and smell the roses" but I'm the guy that was assigned to capture 600 plus images of ALL that attended. Like you Myles, I'm interested in pretty much only highest end audio but had to scurry from room to room to fulfill my promise to Marjorie (the Queen of RMAF :-)).

I thought this show was as good as any in past years, I did have moments of confusion with the huge changes at the Marriott. The refresh was so drastic I sometimes felt as if I had never been there before. That is an odd feeling, I've attended every year since it's inception.

Comment

Lunchtime at RMAF. All that listening and walking up and down stairs builds up a healthy appetite very quickly. Luckily the powers to be at RMAF had the forethought to bring in some food trucks to allow attendees as well as exhibitors to catch a quick snack and get right back on the horse. BTW, how about that firetruck! Order food and eat on the truck at the same time!

Name:	DSC_0118.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	30140Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0120.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	30141

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Eric Pheils of Zanden Electronics and Doug White of The Voice That Is! invited me up to hear their system on Saturday. Couldn't find time to make it until late Saturday afternoon and look what I walked in! Cookie Marenco of Blue Coast Records and four of her musicians who had never played together before having an impromptu jam session in the room.

Name:	DSC_0139.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	30143Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0140.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	30144Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0141.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	30145

Here also is a video of the music session!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Now this was one job you couldn't pay me enough to do. Sentenced to spending three days in a room pulling out and replugging USB cables, taking cones out from under equipment and then replacing the cones, etc. just so attendees could hear the difference the Nordost products could make. But there was no arguing that USB cables--despite the claims of flat earthers--make a difference. For instance at RMAF, Nordost compared an ordinary USB cable with two of their own making and the differences in clarity, bass, intelligibility, imaging, etc were unmistakable. Not subtle at all.

Name:	DSC_0108.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	30148

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thanks Myles for the report and pics
                  Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1

So Myles did SAS David Robinson meet PFO David Robinson?

Great pics, can't wait for the more in depth impressions.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No David didn't make the show this year.

Thank you Myles! Great pics and info.

Comment

Indeed, thanks.
                    Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Working...
                    X