Audio Show Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Show Rant

Audiobuddy: Oh so what what rooms did you like at the show?

Me: I particularly liked xxxxxxx’s room.

Audiobuddy: Oh no that was terrible.

Me: Did you bring your own software to listen to in the room?

Audiobuddy: No

Listen, we all disagree. We will never all agree either. That's why there are so many audio companies out there. But it’s important-not to mention perhaps in listening for different reproduction parameters-that we miss something. Not to mention we can always learn from each other and perhaps become more keenly attuned to something else.

There’s something more to it, however, when the response to the system between two listeners are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Yes sure everyone has a deal breaker. But for the most part, top gear manufacturers nowadays aren’t dummies and don’t release anything until they think it’s perfect. Not to the equipment passes muster with a trusted listening panel that doesn’t blow smoke up their you know what.

I simply don’t understand how someone can’t bring software to the show. Nowadays the vast majority of exhibitors will play requests. But I simply can't understand how some one can pass judgement on an audio system when you aren’t familiar with the music being played. That’s why I don’t for the most part comment about digital because I rarely listen to it anymore and aren’t familiar with the vast majority of music being played. How do you know that the people in the room aren’t just playing something for the music and the sound of the recording is meh? Or what you are hearing is in the recording and not the system’s fault? (A topic for another day.) And so on….

Rant over.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

They'll play something when the person requesting is a reviewer or a friend. In my experience, they are often less than willing to play something from others.
    Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
    Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok but usually the exhibitors bring a selection of music and one can then generally find something in their lp stack or on their server you are familiar with. One shouldn't feel intimidated to ask.

• Slowgeezr
      Slowgeezr commented
      Editing a comment
      I've found that the (digital) playlists they have usually contain familiar music. I just ask them to play something with which I'm familiar. Also, I am usually familiar with a lot of the records they have in the room and ask them to play a track. Interestingly, many rooms play the same music, or at least the same music I've heard at most shows. For me, it is always wonderful to hear new music, as I go on a buying spree of the new music I hear and like at the shows.

• Socrates
      Socrates commented
      Editing a comment
      I was told it is the fear of Virus on the USB/Flash drives

Soc

Show rule: if it sounds fabulous, worth following up. If it sounds like shit, still probably worth following up.

Comment

• Bodhi
      Bodhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true. Exhibitors often rush gear to shows straight out of the crate, or with few hours on them & spend the whole show running in gear 24/7. Then there are the classic room issues with which to contend such as notorious Hotel AC power, small, crowded rooms and various room anomalies. Then Dealers often have to settle for sub-optimal setups based on available gear at the time of the show, which isn't helped by last minute partnering deals which can produce variable results. With that said, if I didn't like a pair of speakers in a Dealer's main treated listening room with top flight amps, and still didn't like said speakers at a show with different top flight amps, I'm prepared to say I don't like those speakers .

Myles I think that's a very valid point and has made me re-consider my previous views formed based on hearing unfamiliar material at previous shows. Though I think you would definitely need a two day pass to see all the rooms you want and have the patience to wait for a break between songs when you can get a chance to request they play one of your cd's/albums. It's always a battle against the clock at shows, and that all takes time.

Comment

Excellent rant, Myles! If rooms won't play my requests or the music I bring to a show, I usually leave them out of my show report, or at least make no mention of the sound quality in the room.

True that most rooms are more likely to play a request if it comes from a reviewer/writer/journalist than some unknown attendee, but that should change.

I still think one of the best parts of my exhibit at the LA Audio Show was that I played almost exclusively requests from whoever asked. And rarely did people leave because of it. They knew if they stuck around their request would get played too. I was delighted at how much new music I heard that I was unfamiliar with, in spite of the fact that most of the older attendees requested the same tired list of audiophile favorites I tried to avoid. However, even that worked out well, as again, the aim was to play what people wanted wanted to hear, not what I thought would make for a good demo.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      -
      Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
      Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
      Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
      Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
      Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
      Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
      Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
      Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
      Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Myles, I think I have said on this site that I rarely take music with me to shows. It is just something I have to carry on the plane, doesn’t fit under the seat easily, and I know I will be bringing more records home as well. I would never place final judgement based on any show demo on a room or piece of gear. It is silly to do that. How many times have I heard the exact same system at two different shows and walked away from the demo with a different opinion? You cannot under the best of show circumstances form a final opinion about the combo of gear you are hearing.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
        Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Hi Myles,

Rant 2:

Do have to say that at this RMAF I finally had the nerve to ask some of the exhibitors to please TURN DOWN the volume, as it was either overloading the room - or my ears. And in all cases they did - at least on Friday - but I gave up on Saturday as there were too many of them - so I either didn't go into the room, or spent maybe 15 seconds there.

(Old Fart) Charles

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
            Steve Lefkowicz commented
            Editing a comment
            Too many rooms at shows play too loudly. It is always okay to ask them to turn the volume down.

• Slowgeezr
            Slowgeezr commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed! I didn't even go into one room because it was so loud.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. If it doesn’t sound good at low volume, then playing it louder isn’t going to help.

Another issue at shows is people who won't stop talking during a demo. I can't think of how many times over the years I've had to ask other people to either be quiet or to take their conversation into the hallway when I finally my chance to sit in the sweet spot. It's even worse when the person doing the talking is the person actually running the demo. I've had no issue asking them to quiet down, too!
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          -
          Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
          Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
          Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
          Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
          Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
          Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
          Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
          Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
          Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
            1morerecord2clean commented
            Editing a comment
            Completely agree. I was really unhappy at one of the Newport shows a few years ago. Non-stop talking including the room rep. Seemed to be particularly bad that year and was less so in successive years thankfully.

My favorite part about attending audio shows (in the 1990s and 2000s) was hearing new music I hadn't heard before. Very few people brought their own music. Occasionally I would hear a speaker that impressed me but I didn't really take show sound too seriously back then. Some crowded rooms, annoying people, too loud music, etc. Usually the other reviewers would be buzzing about one speaker or another so I would make sure to listen in those rooms before the show was over. If it sounds good under show conditions, it probably sounds good. If not, it could be for any number of reasons. Seems people take show sound much more seriously today and attempt critical evaluations.
          Last edited by mkuller; 10-09-2017, 07:17 PM.
          Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

I think that for better or worse many audiophiles are using shows to audition equipment; with the decline of brick and mortar stores in many markets, this is the only opportunity to audition a wide range of equipment. More and more manufacturers seem to realize this and appear to be trying harder to make the show experience worthwhile. That’s not as much of a problem as people eliminating products for consideration because of bad reviews (on-line or in print) of rooms at audio shows.
            Tascam BR-20
            Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
            Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
            MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
            Pass Labs INT60
            Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
            REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
            Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
            Torus IS5
            Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

I am not a reviewer nor someone who claims to know what is right or wrong
              I am bored by anolog in that I don’t know what’s playing mosly and don’t really know if its a good pressing or not
              my only comparison is to digtal you know the antichrist of Audio.
              I always bring my ref tracks to shows and how else can anyone know what’s good or not for sure. But for me I can walk into a room and know if its good for me in digital
              not really analog unless it’s something I know
              Eiasly is it so. And oddly if it is I feel my digital is better lol.
              Ypu mat feel I am ride or an ass. What I really am is someone who knows what I like and don’t.
              Shows mostly don’t have good
              sound to me but there are some speakers that do seem to
              sound right.
              What shows should do for you guys is have a time for you
              even if in groups. I would think this is mandatory for u
              As for how loud ur right but I think it’s rude to ask unless it’s for you alone after all many feel louder is better even though it’s not for us.
              If you guys bring your vinyl it should be played proudly after all you did not bring shit u brought reference to show off with.
              analog stuff.
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
              sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
              thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
              kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
              phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
              speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
              mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
              digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

I guess this is one area where it’s really good not to be a reviewer I go to audio shows (mostly Axpona these days though I have been to RMAF before) because I enjoy the heck out of listening to and seeing audio gear I’ve never seen before, and I always bring my own music on both CD and USB drive. But I’m not there to shop - I’m totally happy with my two systems and not in the market for anything new unless something breaks or someone finally does begin serious production of a new reel to reel. My only shopping at shows is usually software. So if I get to hear music I know, that’s awesome, but it’s not critical.

That said, what really does irk me is when my buddies and I are the ONLY ones in a room, and we make a request, and the guy doing the demo STILL won’t play it. This happened several times at Axpona last year. If the room has a lot of people I can understand, but when my group are the only ones in the room...then I truly don’t get it. Most of the time though exhibitors are very accommodating.
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Myles or others, are any who went to Rockey Mountain going to post some perspectives on the gear you saw. Thanks.
                  PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                  Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Funny story.

Went to a show years ago to hear a system that I was curious about. The brand sent an Agency to run their room for them and I brought my own music on ripped CDs and usb sticks. I asked the lady to play some of my stuff and she gave me major attitude. I waited a bit and then went out and came back a few mins later. This time I asked the gentleman and he acquiesced. After about 10 minutes, the room (up to then with only a few stragglers) quickly got filled up with showgoers, attracted to my demo music like flies to honey.

The ROTFLMAO part is the same snooty lady basically backed me in a corner and said I could not leave with the music and I should name my price! She said it was absolutely necessary to have such music for them to make the room a success for the weekend, and this was only Friday with 2 more days to go after that!

I told her that this was not stuff for sale, but I could give them a copy digitally on their Mac. You should have seen the relief on her face. So funny given her stance like 40 mins earlier when she barely deigned to talk to me.

Moral of the story, great demo tracks is the exhibitors friend and showgoers often have the BEST stuff.
                    Last edited by wisnon; 10-24-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X