No announcement yet.

Myles Astor's System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myles, what was that percussion D2D you played for me? Spectacular by any means; I would like to get a copy.
    Sources: Mod. VPI Aries 3/mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/mod. Pass XP-25; Spectral 3000 xport/mod. Alpha DAC; mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude; Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods) Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1; Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata CX Black Mamba HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music, Joe Phelps Insignia

Comment

Originally posted by ack View Post
      Myles, what was that percussion D2D you played for me? Spectacular by any means; I would like to get a copy.
      There's also a volume 2.

Rob mentioned seeing/having a reissue of this recording too. As we discussed, this album is perhaps the biggest torture test you can put your cartridge through.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2812.JPG Views:	3 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	37034

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	37035

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        The worst torture test album I know of is the Telarc Tchaikowsky 1812 Overture (digital) with the UHQR cut/pressing. It has cannon shots at extremely high level that are hard to track properly with any cart.

Hi all, some of you might know, we have started a blog. I am blogging about my visits, we will have a music/LP review page (to be published soon), and another will write about his in-house demos.

The blog is just about getting up, and here is the link to Myles' system visit (in most cases I am reposting what I posted on forums earlier before).

The blog started with Mike Lavigne's visit, so that visit was directly posted on this blog, not on forums

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
        Hi all, some of you might know, we have started a blog. I am blogging about my visits, we will have a music/LP review page (to be published soon), and another will write about his in-house demos.

The blog is just about getting up, and here is the link to Myles' system visit (in most cases I am reposting what I posted on forums earlier before).

The blog started with Mike Lavigne's visit, so that visit was directly posted on this blog, not on forums
        Thanks Ked. You need to drop by the next time you are in NYC! System is now all wired with Transparent, the Atlas SL is full broken in and there a totally new tape front end that has taken the format to a new level. Thought you could tell Rosselet was hunched over while playing the cello? Now you can tell he has a curvature to his spine. Seriously, the extremes among other things are in a different league. If you thought the bass was good before, you'll be shocked how good it is now with far more extension and ability to move air. The S5 Mk. 2 sound far better than you think.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

My wife and I had a wonderful afternoon today visiting Myles and Heidi. We enjoyed a terrific listening session, and it was great to make two new friends!

The afternoon listening session included two new milestones for us. This was my wife's very first experience listening to tape.

This was my second experience truly enjoying Magico speakers. After hearing the music made by the S5 Mk. IIs driven by tube electronics I asked Myles, largely rhetorically, why in the world so few Magico owners use tube electronics? I think anyone who has not been a fan of even the more recent iterations of Magico speakers would learn a lot by hearing M3s and S5 Mk. IIs driven by tubes.

Myles has put together a system I personally like very, very much: world class VPI turntable and tonearm; Lyra Atlas cartridge; Doshi tube phono preamp; state of the art conrad-johnson tube electronics; transparent, dynamic, coherent Magico speakers; and Transparent Audio cables. What's not to love?

I am elated every time I listen to tape. Myles played for us a Yarlung tape, an Opus 3 sampler tape and a couple of other recordings. The Doshi tape preamp sounded as beautiful as it looked. The tape playback literally was laugh-out-loud amazing, with a "they are here" sense of live performers in the room.

I had pretty high expectations for Myles' system, and I was not disappointed. Despite a challenging room Myles achieves startling transparency, sound-staging and depth, detail, dynamics and realism. Myles has a very extensive record collection of which we did not begin to scratch even the surface.

My wife and I are grateful to Myles and Heidi for their warm hospitality, and for a very fun visit and an eye-opening listening session!

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ron! Glad to meet you after all these years and have you and Tinka over! Yes, I kinda got the idea that you were enjoying the tapes. And sharing our new found, favorite Italian restaurant in the neighborhood!

• JackD201
            JackD201 commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys are having too much fun without me. I'm jealous!

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Road trip time!

I had the chance to spend the afternoon at Myles' place earlier this month. The system and the music were fabulous. The quasi near field listening to the Magico S5 Mk. 2 is just spot on. Myles swapped the VDH Colibri for the Lyra Atlas SL cartridge and the magic was there. Do I need to speak about tapes? It was a real pleasure to meet Myles and Heidi... and not forgetting the cats.
          Last edited by dcc; 04-14-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

MYLES I sat across from you at the Axpona breakfast. I'm curious if you are going to the Munich show this year? Can you email me private, I would like to have your email address, thanks Jeff Miller

Comment

Call it hyperbole. Call it whatever you want.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the HiFi Tuning fuses in the B+ power supply fuse in one of my cj amps blew. Luckily had a spare around and tried when replacing to maintain the correct orientation based on the arrow on the side of the fuse.

Well the other night I decided for the hell of it reverse fuse's direction. What a difference! Almost a completely different system-if those qualities were important to you. That bit of leanness and thinness that has been bothering me for some time now disappeared. As a result of reversing the fuse's direction, the midrange is fuller and there's both greater resolution and dimensionality! The sound is now just a little more like you would expect from tube gear. I played a bunch of tapes last night including the late '50s Verve recordings of Gerry Mulligan's Big Band and Ella's Let No Man Write My Epitaph as well as the IPI tapes Jeremy Kahn Duets and Jason Roebke Shimmering. Very different experience with a midrange to die for now!

Comment

• Metamatic
                Metamatic commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks a lot Myles. Does that mean I should reverse my fuses on the prem 8A's to see which way sounds best 😎

• siddh
                siddh commented
                Editing a comment
                The world of the unexpected...I experienced similar results when reversing directions of the preamp and then amp fuses.

Metamatic...not much to lose.

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Shane. Always said fuse direction was important. Why I checked for S&G. Now are you talking about the stock or HFT fuses and which HFT fuse? The internal or B+ fuses? Supposedly direction doesn't make a difference with the Supreme fuses but that wasn't my experience. The Quantum tuning dots can also add a small improvement.

BTW Lew wasn't surprised about fuse quality when we spoke a while back. He even intimated might make a difference with stock fuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3736.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	57187

Comment

That modified Technics Reel to Reel looks SWEET! I imagine it sounds awesome as well.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The review is forthcoming.

Miles - just wondering if you use the 2nd pivot on your VPI 3D - you don't mention it

Comment

Originally posted by Stringreen View Post
                  Miles - just wondering if you use the 2nd pivot on your VPI 3D - you don't mention it
                  Yes I am.

Comment

Regarding fuses , I really have to try some one day . It's something that makes no sense to me but so many make claims it must exist .

Comment

Looks great Myles, how do you get around the equipment w/o tripping over the wire and cat?

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Equipment no problem. They're static. Cats are another story. Not only dynamic but unpredictable! 😸 Being small helps too. Don't think Christian could navigate my room!
                    Working...
                    X