No announcement yet.

Myles Astor's System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myles, what was that percussion D2D you played for me? Spectacular by any means; I would like to get a copy.
    Sources: Mod. VPI Aries 3/mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/mod. Pass XP-25; Spectral 3000 xport/mod. Alpha DAC; mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude; Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods) Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1; Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata CX Black Mamba HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music, Joe Phelps Insignia

Comment

Originally posted by ack View Post
      Myles, what was that percussion D2D you played for me? Spectacular by any means; I would like to get a copy.
      There's also a volume 2.

Rob mentioned seeing/having a reissue of this recording too. As we discussed, this album is perhaps the biggest torture test you can put your cartridge through.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2812.JPG Views:	3 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	37034

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	37035

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges, van den Hul Colibri Stradivarius; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Hi all, some of you might know, we have started a blog. I am blogging about my visits, we will have a music/LP review page (to be published soon), and another will write about his in-house demos.

The blog is just about getting up, and here is the link to Myles' system visit (in most cases I am reposting what I posted on forums earlier before).

The blog started with Mike Lavigne's visit, so that visit was directly posted on this blog, not on forums

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
          Hi all, some of you might know, we have started a blog. I am blogging about my visits, we will have a music/LP review page (to be published soon), and another will write about his in-house demos.

The blog is just about getting up, and here is the link to Myles' system visit (in most cases I am reposting what I posted on forums earlier before).

The blog started with Mike Lavigne's visit, so that visit was directly posted on this blog, not on forums
          Thanks Ked. You need to drop by the next time you are in NYC! System is now all wired with Transparent, the Atlas SL is full broken in and there a totally new tape front end that has taken the format to a new level. Thought you could tell Rosselet was hunched over while playing the cello? Now you can tell he has a curvature to his spine. Seriously, the extremes among other things are in a different league. If you thought the bass was good before, you'll be shocked how good it is now with far more extension and ability to move air. The S5 Mk. 2 sound far better than you think.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges, van den Hul Colibri Stradivarius; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

My wife and I had a wonderful afternoon today visiting Myles and Heidi. We enjoyed a terrific listening session, and it was great to make two new friends!

The afternoon listening session included two new milestones for us. This was my wife's very first experience listening to tape.

This was my second experience truly enjoying Magico speakers. After hearing the music made by the S5 Mk. IIs driven by tube electronics I asked Myles, largely rhetorically, why in the world so few Magico owners use tube electronics? I think anyone who has not been a fan of even the more recent iterations of Magico speakers would learn a lot by hearing M3s and S5 Mk. IIs driven by tubes.

Myles has put together a system I personally like very, very much: world class VPI turntable and tonearm; Lyra Atlas cartridge; Doshi tube phono preamp; state of the art conrad-johnson tube electronics; transparent, dynamic, coherent Magico speakers; and Transparent Audio cables. What's not to love?

I am elated every time I listen to tape. Myles played for us a Yarlung tape, an Opus 3 sampler tape and a couple of other recordings. The Doshi tape preamp sounded as beautiful as it looked. The tape playback literally was laugh-out-loud amazing, with a "they are here" sense of live performers in the room.

I had pretty high expectations for Myles' system, and I was not disappointed. Despite a challenging room Myles achieves startling transparency, sound-staging and depth, detail, dynamics and realism. Myles has a very extensive record collection of which we did not begin to scratch even the surface.

My wife and I are grateful to Myles and Heidi for their warm hospitality, and for a very fun visit and an eye-opening listening session!

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ron! Glad to meet you after all these years and have you and Tinka over! Yes, I kinda got the idea that you were enjoying the tapes. And sharing our new found, favorite Italian restaurant in the neighborhood!

• JackD201
              JackD201 commented
              Editing a comment
              You guys are having too much fun without me. I'm jealous!

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Road trip time!

I had the chance to spend the afternoon at Myles' place earlier this month. The system and the music were fabulous. The quasi near field listening to the Magico S5 Mk. 2 is just spot on. Myles swapped the VDH Colibri for the Lyra Atlas SL cartridge and the magic was there. Do I need to speak about tapes? It was a real pleasure to meet Myles and Heidi... and not forgetting the cats.
            Last edited by dcc; 04-14-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X