No announcement yet.

Myles Astor's System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myles just think how easy life would be sitting back in your listening chair holding your IPad with your complete music collection at your finger tips? Do you foresee yourself ever adding a digital side to your system?
    Marty

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Learned long ago to never say never but I would put the chances at slim to none. Leave digital to techno geeks. Would rather spend money on analog software like tape. 😸

• nc42acc
      nc42acc commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally understand. The reproduction quality of tape is worth the extra effort.

Even if myles were to buy a world class dac and server it is not his tape sound 🔊. It will be very good but not tape
    even if the digital is sourced from tape. Digital is very convient once its setup right and has its great sounds

but tape rules even an digtal person like me hears it.
    Its like taking the air out of the room going from tape to digital. Having said this I do think of myles were to have one setup well and used it only it for a while he would like it. But going from tape to digtal is a wide devide to go back and forth too. It's one reason some who have both say there analog is there reference point.
    For me I have great sound and great music having them both on the same songs is utopia. Issue is how far apart
    most times they are. This is the same in analog but analog maintains its analog sound where digital goes in many directions.
    Room built for purpose 20/9/55 ft
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 Amps no 33
    mogami gold mic interconnects , new soon
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO 2.20 and cust Linux Kernal for NAS
    player roon server , dac PC HQ player USB power cut at main board
    network isolators cat 7a shielded , LPS for all pcs and network switches and routers. Audio network ips dedicated nas is music and network switch and router. Dacs lampi various

Comment

Myles what a Setup! Not bad at all. Chapeau!!

Question: I have been always told: Do not place your Equipment between your Speakers as this interfere with the sound. What is your opinion to this advice?

Looking foreward to hear from you.
      McIntosh C22CE, MC275CE, Cary Audio CD303, Thorens TD125 MkII, Schick 9,6, Ortofon #1-E, OrtofonST-7, Heco Direkt

Comment

Originally posted by McD275 View Post
        Myles what a Setup! Not bad at all. Chapeau!!

Question: I have been always told: Do not place your Equipment between your Speakers as this interfere with the sound. What is your opinion to this advice?

Looking foreward to hear from you.
        If only we lived in a perfect world. There's theory and then there's reality. There's only so much space in my room. So I do the best I can and haven't noticed a huge difference here. I think there's a thread somewhere about equipment racks between the speakers too.

In my case, part of the reason was that I was running both amplifiers off the same dedicated AC line and the front end off a different dedicated line. I only had 8 foot lengths of KS power cords and ergo the amps had to between the amps for the cords to reach. Now, though, am running the ART 300 monos off different dedicated lines so could experiment but then the 2 meter IC from the preamp to the amps won't reach. Though the amplifiers could be pushed back toward the SRA rack a foot or so. So you get the idea.

One can look at equipment placement in terms of:

1) effect upon room acoustics;
        2) effect of the sound on the equipment;.
        3) effect of longer wire length upon the sound;
        4) cost of additional wire.

Last first. Where the equipment is placed-eg. a node or peak in the room can affect the sound of the gear. That where using platforms, tiptoes etc that function to drain the vibrations out of the equipment comes into play.

Then there's reflections of the sound off the gear that can also affect the resultant sound. I remember being over at Mike Lavignes' place and he covered his R2R decks when not in use so they reflections off them didn't affect the sound.

Someday audiophiles will discover that their presence in the listening room is detrimental to the sound! But seriously great question.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• McD275
          McD275 commented
          Editing a comment
          Myles thank you for this very informative statement.
          Yes, most of the time the question is regarding space and additional costs. I have seen this with my Speaker cables and after the new setup for the Speakers, I nearly was running short. Very close finish.
          I like your humor.. Audiophile listeners banning themself from their rooms to improve sound quality. Brilliant :-)

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that is what happened with the left amp. Inches to spare with the PC.

It's also hard to put the amps outside the speaker because there's a PLC on one side and the power supply for the tape pre on the other.

But that is one reason like monoblocks. Able to keep the amps as close to the speaker as possible.

My room is basically a bare room. At times I do keep boxes behind the towers . Also on the sides. It has very little affect that I hear , but I do feel it all effects the sound even new furniture does. Myles is correct there's life as we can do it. I live alone and made the room for the setup. Nothing is behind them except the amps and cross overs. Isolating the equipment makes perfect sense to me. My sources are all to the side 15 feet or so in front of the towers. I can say if I go behind them it's an earthquake of bass back there.
        Room built for purpose 20/9/55 ft
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 Amps no 33
        mogami gold mic interconnects , new soon
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO 2.20 and cust Linux Kernal for NAS
        player roon server , dac PC HQ player USB power cut at main board
        network isolators cat 7a shielded , LPS for all pcs and network switches and routers. Audio network ips dedicated nas is music and network switch and router. Dacs lampi various

Comment

• McD275
          McD275 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Alrainbow. As living alone you avoid the "low wife acceptance factor". :-)
          But seriously, I made the same experience. Anything influence sound within the room, ergo also anything between the Speakers. And if you can do, bann the Equipment out of the center of the stereophonic reproduction.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Someday audiophiles will discover that their presence in the listening room is detrimental to the sound! But seriously great question.

The bass in my room differs according to my BMI. LOL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_220437_001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	100684

Just another day at the Astor household. An audio buddy (Bobby Brown on right) called me up to ask if his buddy who was in town filming could drop by for a music fix. Turned out Bobby's friend was Joe Regalbuto (on left) of Murphy Brown (Frank) fame!

Turned out Joe is also an accomplished sax player and diehard audiophile. Among other things Joe owns is a VPI HRX and Graham arm.

The playlist? Lots of terrific jazz on 15 ips tape and LP. Think Joe left thinking he should further investigate this tape thing. Bobby? His UHA deck arrives shortly.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• david k
            david k commented
            Editing a comment
            You must have had a lot of fun with them boys!

david

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a happy bunch. Every face in that picture looks familiar.

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment

nice. altho' it must be cold where you are. by contrast, I'm in shorts and flip flops with the windows open watching the World Series
          Linn Kilmax LP12 | Linn Uphorik | Innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Rub it in Rob. I turned the heat on 2-3 weeks ago.

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            trade offs. I'll bet your morning commute isn't 45 mins traveling 10.5 miles (like mine)

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            No, it's not.

Last weekend, I had the great pleasure of meeting Myles and hearing his terrific system. I had long read and heard about this system, and it was wonderful to finally have a chance to hear it. I was especially impressed with the overall transparency of the sound and just how great his tapes sounded. There is great tone and dynamics and extraordinary resolution, yet the sound was extremely natural. All genres sounded excellent. We listened for hours. I was in the city for four days and those hours at Myles' place were a welcome respite from the crazy, hectic, noise and pace of New York City. Myles' living room is a kind of oasis.

Myles is a gracious host and his lovely wife Heidi is a saint for allowing Myles' system and incredible tape and vinyl collection to permeate the apartment. What a treat it was to meet Myles and Heidi and hear such a great system. Thank you Myles.
          SME 30/12A, SME V-12, MySonicLab Signature Gold, Air Tight Supreme, Pass Labs XA160.5, XP-22, XP-27, Magico Q3

Comment

• Originally posted by PeterA View Post
            Last weekend, I had the great pleasure of meeting Myles and hearing his terrific system. I had long read and heard about this system, and it was wonderful to finally have a chance to hear it. I was especially impressed with the overall transparency of the sound and just how great his tapes sounded. There is great tone and dynamics and extraordinary resolution, yet the sound was extremely natural. All genres sounded excellent. We listened for hours. I was in the city for four days and those hours at Myles' place were a welcome respite from the crazy, hectic, noise and pace of New York City. Myles' living room is a kind of oasis.

Myles is a gracious host and his lovely wife Heidi is a saint for allowing Myles' system and incredible tape and vinyl collection to permeate the apartment. What a treat it was to meet Myles and Heidi and hear such a great system. Thank you Myles.
            Thanks for your kind comments Peter. It was a pleasure having you over and sharing my audio system with you.

Transparency is an interesting quality. Everything counts but more and more appreciating that transparency begins with circuit simplicity and the power supply and noise floor of the equipment. It doesn’t make any difference what else you do to the system if any or all of the components in the system have a high noise floor.

As far as the tapes go thank Nick Doshi for designing his wonderful tapestage. We’ll se this week if his new wiring harness improves the tapestage (and phonostage too). His phonostage and tapestage are effortless sounding.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Hi Myles

Are you getting the Taurus' (or is that Tauri?) for a spin? A good buddy's matched with his S5 Mk2s were darned good.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
                Hi Myles

Are you getting the Taurus' (or is that Tauri?) for a spin? A good buddy's matched with his S5 Mk2s were darned good.
                Not sure what you are referring to Jack?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  constellation?

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes think you are right. Actually what I’d love to hear on the Magicos are Tidal Electronics.

• Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Not sure what you are referring to Jack?
                Connstellation as Rob says Myles You listed it in your RMAF as one of the products you would like to try at home

Comment

• Switched over to the SAT-Atlas SL from the VPI 12-inch dual pivot Fatboy vdh Colibri Master Signature combo today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_165550.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	111250

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  sonically, how close is the gimballed fat boy to the SAT or are you a liberty to say?

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haven’t used the gimballed yet.

• Of those three combinations do you have a stand out favorite?
                Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RAS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Kuzma 4-Point 14" and TW 10.5" Arms - Air Tight Opus-1 & Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC - Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup) + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - Stillpoints Aperture II Panels and Ultra 5S under speakers and Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA and Symposium platforms - Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

Working...
                X