my (not quite modest) system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my (not quite modest) system

Click image for larger version  Name:	systemPhoto_3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	41308Click image for larger version  Name:	systemPhoto_2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	41307

My electronics are Merrill Audio's Thor monoblock amps and Cara preamp. Speakers are Evolution Audio's MicroOne w/dedicated cast-iron stands.

My analog listening is done on a VPI Prime Signature turntable using a Transfiguration Phoenix S cartridge into a Aurorasound Vida phono preamp. (I have a spare JMW 10 3D armwand upon which a VdH Grasshopper--acquired many years ago from Jonathan Scull and just retipped by Soundsmith--currently resides. I'll probably swap that out shortly to compare the VdH to the VAS Nova Signature that's currently unused.)

For digital, I use a YFS-modded Mac mini with a YFS PS-12M external power supply into an Exogal Comet DAC. I mostly use Amara Symphony and sometimes Roon for my computer listening. In the rare instance when I actually want to play a CD, I use a PS Audio PWT. I use a PS Audio NPC for digitizing LP's.

I use a Granite Audio Ground Zero to help with the grounding issues that arose due to the really crappy wiring of the place I'm currently renting. I use a PS Audio PS-5 to regenerate power for all components other than the amplifiers and the power supply for the Vida phono preamp.

Interconnects are from Morrow Audio except for the XLO Signature phono cable. Speaker cables are Gryphon PSC-1 Guidelines.

Accessories include a Fozgometer, Flux Hifi sonic and Zerodust stylus cleaners, VPI HW-17 and KL Audio LP-200 record cleaners, an Air Tight Record Flatter (that's what they call/ed it) and a Furutech D-stat II.

My listening room is on the lower floor of a duplex condo I rent. The floor is a combo kitchen/dining room/living room space. I've setup the system in the living room for near-field listening. The space is far from sonically ideal but it's the space I've got.
    Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
    Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

nice system
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Very nice Jonathan! I've always wanted to hear Evolution speakers, but I've had no luck so far. Guess I need to get out more!
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I had to work to hear them as there's basically no dealer network for Evolution, at least not in the NY/NJ area. Turns out that the brother of the guy behind Evolution lives in NJ about 20 minutes away. He brought a pair over and set them up for me to audition. Once I heard them, I had to buy them.
        Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
        Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
        Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
        Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

those speakers look similar to my focal 905's that I use on my secondary system.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Thank you for sharing Jonathan.
            Nice system. Always wanted to hear a VdH cartridge, but never had an opportunity.
            [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Wonderful system. I have listened to 3 models of the Evolution One speakers and have been very impressed. I am hoping to join you this year in owning the VPI Prime Signature table. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That looks like a very nice system. We dont get neither Merrill nor Evolution Audio on this side of the Atlantic (I think). Would be nice to hear them sometime.

Comment

Evolution Acoustics is distributed by Dartzeel in Switzerland and Epectaz in France. Merrill Audio is distributed by Hear Everything in the Netherlands. (Both apparently quietly and discreetly distributed.)

Comment

• Per Sundell
                    Per Sundell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aha well maybe they will turn up on High-End in M√ľnchen this spring.

Very nice
                  analog stuff.
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                  sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                  thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                  kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                  phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

what are those white boxes on the speaker stand bases? just curious....

Comment

• JCOConnell
                      JCOConnell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      nevermind, I zoomed in on the big photos and can see that those are the monobloc amps

To answer the question you didn't ask, the reason the amps are on the speaker stand base is that the base is cast iron and is easily the most stable place I've got to locate the amps. (And the amps just happen to be tiny enough to fit there.)

Comment

are they class D amps?

Comment

• jonathanb
                        jonathanb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes.

• JCOConnell
                        JCOConnell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I guessed because of their small size plus no heat sinks.

The Evolution Acoustic/Merrill electronics should be a great match! I don't think many would identify them as Class D amplifiers. Nice midrange presence and soulful. Not thin, dimensionally flat and washed out like many Class D amplifiers.

Did you just get your Prime Signature? Love the looks. So reminiscent of the old HRX. What turntable did the new VPI table replace?
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

The Evolution speaker/Merrill electronics combo is, to my ear, a superb match. The Merrill gear is definitely not thin and provides both good depth and width. They'd probably provide excellent depth and width if placed in a more suitable listening space.

I got the Prime Signature last month. It was the first one delivered to a customer. It replaced a Classic Signature.

Comment

• jonathanb
                          jonathanb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To answer a question on one asked: the Classis Signature replaced a Prime, which replaced a Rega RP-8. I've still have the RP-8 and just set it up along side the Prime Sig. It's a nice sounding table but it can't hold a candle to any of the VPI tables.
                      Working...
                      X