No announcement yet.

Greatest Invention Ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always walk around with a wad of cash, you never know when some homeless guy will be on a street corner hawking a mint orig, 1S pines of rome for $50 (okay, that never happens).

If I go to Little Saigon, K-town or any of the Asian boroughs leave the amex at home cash is king. Many if not most indy used record stores only accept cash on certain records (esp if you want a better price). The monthly record show? cash only. If I'm out socially and we go dutch? I much rather have cash, others at the table often fight for mine and put the whole thing on their plastic. frivolous purchases I can't write off? cash.

only downside to cash it takes longer to checkout and you always have leftover coins you don't know what to do with, but I never spend more than whats in my pocket! My one observation is that people have forgotten how to count change, its unbelieveable how many times I've given a $20 bill and say, two dimes to a store clerk that gets befuddled on what to give back on an $18.19 purchase. automation has removed the need to think on the job...its scary actually.

Comment

My favorite invention - the iPod.
      Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Mel Brooks says Saran Wrap. Who am I to argue?

Comment

I would put my money on the alphabet (if this can be considered an invention). The transistor would be runner up.

Comment

Innovation or Invention . . . https://www.wired.com/insights/2015/...-vs-invention/

It feels like a lot of the things being discussed in this thread are great innovations but not necessarily inventions. Things like the internet, smart phones, iPods, and even ATMs are all great innovations that have changed our lives in profound ways. But each one isn't necessarily an invention. They're made up of many, many pieces that may be inventions. Perhaps I'm just being pedantic since I know a thing or two about patents and how our legal system defines invention. Or maybe I'm just cranky due to the unusually hot weather we're having in the SF bay area.

---Gary
            Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
            Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
            Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
            Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
            Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
            Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, TEAC VRDS-T1 (modfied with G+D clock and driver)
            Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

the string bikini and really fit women
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• mkuller
                mkuller commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL! Not to mention depilatories, razors and waxing.

Originally posted by Per Sundell View Post
              Oh I would say agriculture!
              I read an interesting article where it pointed out that agriculture was really wheat domesticating humanity for its benefit, rather than the other way around. Wheat got us to take care of it and spread it wherever we went and where it needed o be to go.
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              --------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Wish someone would hurry up and get "on" with making it--

The Teflon Toilet Bowl

Sorry!

Soc

Comment

Sanitation, hands down the greatest invention ever.

Comment

Working...
                X