MY Two Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY Two Systems

I live in a duplex apartment. My main system is upstairs in the living area and has to satisfy my needs for serious listening, background music, television and movies. It started out quite modestly several years ago and has grown both in capability and complexity. The second system is downstairs in my office/bedroom. Both systems are set up so that for casual listening I can stream iTunes from either of two computers to both at the same time.

Main System: Martin Logan Summit X's, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Preamp, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Amps (set up as monoblocks), Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone amp, Bottlehead Eros phono-pre, Cambridge Audio Azur 752 Universal Disc player, VPI Prime Turntable, Ortofon A-95 cartridge, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Furman Elite Power Conditioner Apple Airport Express. Most cables are Signal Cable. The Stand is a reinforced Ikea media stand with a custom cut maple top. The amp stands are TimberNation.

Second System: Devore Fidelity Gibbon 3XL's and stands, AudioNote Kit EL34 L4 Integrated, AudioNote Kit L3 Phono Stage, Schiit Bifrost DAC, Apple Airport Express, Rega RP-6 with Groovetracer Mods, Dynavector 10x5 cartridge with SoundSmith ruby retip, various cables.
    Attached Files
    Main System:Thales Compact Turntable and Thales Simplicity Tonearm, Ortofon A95, Musical FidelityM6 Vinyl Phono Stage, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super with Jelco 850 Tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, Cary Audio CAD-300SEI (All tubes rolled),Pure Audio Project Quintet 15s with Voxative AC-PiFe, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Second System Picture.
    Attached Files
    Main System:Thales Compact Turntable and Thales Simplicity Tonearm, Ortofon A95, Musical FidelityM6 Vinyl Phono Stage, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super with Jelco 850 Tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, Cary Audio CAD-300SEI (All tubes rolled),Pure Audio Project Quintet 15s with Voxative AC-PiFe, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

Nice setups. Did you build the Bottlehead gear? Looks great.
      [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Thanks Dawg. Yes I did build the Bottlehead components. Also the AudioNote Kits. Fun projects for an old retired guy whose hands are still steady enough to use a soldering iron.

Comment

Update on my main system. Recently upgraded my rack to a Timbernation 60" maple rack. Several reasons, Wanted more rigidity, wanted more space for components, and number 1, wanted a second turntable to play all those mono reissues.

Starting modestly, TT is Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD160 Super restomod. Arm is upgraded to new Jelco 850. Cart is Ortofon 2M Mono. Just felt the Thorens is so period correct. I built a switch to select which TT is in system. Also using Project Speed Contoller.

Comment

Re: the above post: It's only been a couple of weeks since I've added the mono TT. Really surprised at how good mono LPs sound with the Ortofon 2M Mono. There just seems to be more presence and clarity. My other TT is running an Ortofon A95. When I upgraded from a Cadenza Bronze, I was totally blown away. It was just a whole new world. Just amazed that the "lowly" 2M Mono is so good.

Comment

• shawnwes
              shawnwes commented
              Editing a comment
              If you don't have it yet you NEED to get Chet Baker Sings. That should be killer on either of those tables.

Nicely done system picking.

Really nice sistems. Congrats!
            Love those Timbernation racks, unfortunately I'm in Europe so it's not possible to buy one.

Comment

• adeep42
              adeep42 commented
              Editing a comment
              bluedoor, Thanks so much.

Originally posted by adeep42 View Post
            Update on my main system. Recently upgraded my rack to a Timbernation 60" maple rack. Several reasons, Wanted more rigidity, wanted more space for components, and number 1, wanted a second turntable to play all those mono reissues.

Starting modestly, TT is Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD160 Super restomod. Arm is upgraded to new Jelco 850. Cart is Ortofon 2M Mono. Just felt the Thorens is so period correct. I built a switch to select which TT is in system. Also using Project Speed Contoller.
            Very nice, been considering doing something similar myself with multiple TT's.

As another long time Martin Logan owner, congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by kach22i View Post

Very nice, been considering doing something similar myself with multiple TT's.

As another long time Martin Logan owner, congrats.
              Kach22i,

Thanks for your comment. You sorta woke me up. I've made a ton of changes and should really post them. Did really enjoy the Martin Logans, but lusted for the PAP Quintets for several years. Will tease with these spoiler alert pics. Also have to redo my signature.
              Attached Files

Comment

The PAP's are nice, congrats.

I like what I've heard of open baffles, only heard them a couple of times at AK-Fest, years ago.

One open baffle maker options an ESL tweeter or maybe it is a dipolar ribbon tweeter, either way it's on my wish list to hear a pair.

Any plans to add an open baffle "H" subwoofer?

Looks like what you have is not bass shy and can load a room with some pressure.

Comment

• adeep42
                  adeep42 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't tell you how delighted I am with the PAPs. Ze've of PAP and I talked at several audio shows about running the Quintets with low power SET amps. That's why I found the Cary, a very old design from Dennis Hadd's days at Cary. The supplied tubes left a lot to be desired. I had a National Electric 6SN7 that I used in my Bottlehead Crack and I rolled it into the pre-amp spot. Very noticeable improvement. Got in touch with Brent Jesse and he recommended a pair of military Sylvania 6SN7s for the driver tubes. Improvement HUGE. Finally, after all the investment I had made, decided to go for really good 300Bs. Bought the new Psvane manufactured AudioNote 300Bs. Boom, I'm in SET heaven.

BTW, no plans for a sub woofer. Totally unnecessary.

Nice little amp for sure.

Looks like the turntable on the left needs a slightly larger platform under it.

Both tables have their own record clamps, I've misplaced mine but seem to be getting along fine without it. One less thing to do.

Comment

You're right about the platform, but it's actually very solid and stable. Both platforms were originally custom made by Timbernation for my PrimaLuna mono blocks. I'm very happy that I was able to repurpose them.

Comment

Working...
                  X