Robert Anderson's At Sea Headphone Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Anderson's At Sea Headphone Rig

Not in these pictures is the new Bryston BDA-3 I just received. I also have Audeze LCD-4's on the way. I've gone for more than a year without any of my Stax headphones, so I plan on bringing back my SR-009's and KGSS the next time I'm home. Current headphones are Abyss, HD 800's, and Audioquest Nighthawks.

I know work keeps you at sea a lot of the year. Are you operating the equipment at a different voltage?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Robert_Anderson
      Robert_Anderson commented
      Editing a comment
      All US voltage, however, ship's power can be nasty, so the Hydra 8 is vital, I want to get some newer Shunyata stuff.

Robert I am intrigued by your audiophile at sea setup. Are you in the military or in commercial shipping? How long are you at sea typically when out? So the power on board is standard 120v 60hz? How would you rate your HD800 against your other headphones?
    Marty

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post
      Robert I am intrigued by your audiophile at sea setup. Are you in the military or in commercial shipping? How long are you at sea typically when out? So the power on board is standard 120v 60hz? How would you rate your HD800 against your other headphones?
      I work for Raytheon contracted to the Air Force. I am the manager of a mobile radar used for data collection against ballistic missile launches. We usually stay out 3 weeks at a time. Power is standard 120v 60Hz, however, it is rather noisy, and the Shunyata products are the only ones I tried that seem to clean it up. The HD 800's are very good, but I prefer the sound of the Abyss and SR-009 's much more. Aftermarket cables are a must for the HD 800's. I have a set of balanced Cardas that really improve the sound. One of the crew stepped on the cable while auditioning them, and broke the connector. Now that I am using the stock cable, there is a distinct degradation of quality, especially in the low end and extreme transients.

Comment

Robert thank you very much. Very interesting. I like my HD800 the best of of what I have so with your recommendation I am going to look for replacement cables. Thanks
        Marty

Comment

Love the setup Robert. Are you getting a good fit with the Abyss?
          VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

Working...
          X