Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Any Company Make A Computer Worth a Damn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    And not self driving cars. Hey want to go on a date in my apple?

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    My MacBook Pro lasted exactly 9 months before the hard drive crashed. Just proving you can never go back. (I started with Mac and was forced to switch at that time to PC.)

• Steve Palmai
    replied
    We use Microsoft Surface products. Never an issue. If you are interested in the Surface Studio, wait for the next gen refresh.

As for Apple, I'm thinking the Apple ][ 50th Anniversary edition, next decade.....perhaps......if they're still around making computers.....

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    My next laptop comp will be Lenovo; 17 years of Apple has come to a frustrating end. Not primarily because they have morphed into a cash rich toy company, but their arogance towards business users of their machines. That said, I still have had not a single issue with my 09 mac pro, and this does all the intensive work ie renders etc. The 27" imac sharing the same work lasted just 4 years @ £1700 a pop. I can only assume that small packages and heat dont get on so well, the 09 pro has plenty of space around the parts that get hot, with the imac, the whole thing got very hot when doing a big 3d render and this probably accelerated it's demise, and yet apple take great pains to make them even thinner, yep, very cool..
    Last edited by Paul S; 06-14-2017, 01:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on 's reply
    Mine's held up really well. I agree that Lenovo is not IBM, but they're still sturdy and Lenovo does offer more configurations options. They do load them up with bags of Lenovo "helpware."

Laptops are such wierd animals - so much is propietary (well all of an Apple product is) and typically you don't want to open them up.

• c1ferrari
    replied
    IBM ThinkPad --> Lenovo ThinkPad...no bueno.

Leave a comment:

• kcin
    replied
    I second the recommendation for Lenovo. We have hundreds in use and they are bullet proof, make sure they install SSD. The worst go round we had and I had was Toshiba. All sorts of failures

I've since moved to a MS surface it is powerful and light . We don't use Mac

Leave a comment:

• rockitman
    replied
    Mac or PC...SSD's are your friend...especially for the OS.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Update on this hunk of junk Toshiba satellite laptop. After having the mother board replaced about six months ago, the computer refused to turn on last week. Back to the factory in Louisville for repairs and came back in a week. Excellent service? No, think again. Returned with biohazard label saying it can't be fixed. What the hell? Although no explaination (and waiting for an email follow up email from Louisville), can only mean one thing. The battery leaked. This is the second battery that leaked (Heidi's laptop had same problem)! Samsung caught hell for their battery issues but sure seems these computers have much more serious issues. 18 months and this computer headed for slag heap. Total BS. Think maybe a complaint to the NYS AG is in place.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
    Yeah you've had really bad luck Myles. I'm using a mid 2012 MBP Retina, heavy usage. It goes with me everywhere, sometimes in the check in baggage. No problems except it is now starting to look really clunky next to the current anorexic 15" models.
    Ha! I couldn't kill my old Mac 30SE!

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Garth View Post
    Myles if I had to make a stab in the dark as to why you lose so many computers it is you are a writer and spend a lot of straight ahead no breaks time on a Computer. In laptops I think that heat is the big killer of laptops just IMO I am the last guy to be asking about computers. But if they get hot often and long enough they are going to die young.
    Heat is definitely an issue but maybe the more important issue my tech showed me was that the air inlets for cooling often get clogged and adds to the overheating problems. So it's not a bad thing to vacuum the cooling ports on the computer.

Leave a comment:

• JackD201
    replied
    Yeah you've had really bad luck Myles. I'm using a mid 2012 MBP Retina, heavy usage. It goes with me everywhere, sometimes in the check in baggage. No problems except it is now starting to look really clunky next to the current anorexic 15" models.

Leave a comment:

• Garth
    replied
    Myles if I had to make a stab in the dark as to why you lose so many computers it is you are a writer and spend a lot of straight ahead no breaks time on a Computer. In laptops I think that heat is the big killer of laptops just IMO I am the last guy to be asking about computers. But if they get hot often and long enough they are going to die young.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce B
    replied
    I've tried to stay away from Mac's when it comes to music production. On the professional side, if a laptop goes down, it can cost you more than $$.
    Plus, most of the manufacturers write music production software mainly for Win based machines.
    That being said, I've relied mostly on Toshiba/IBM and Dell business laptops. Haven't failed me yet!!

Leave a comment:

• astrotoy
    replied
    When I started my ripping project, my consultant Tim Marutani recommended I get a computer custom made (a PC running XP Pro with a Zalman fanless case, SS Drives and special cards) to complement the Mykerinos Sound Card. I am not handy in those sorts of things so Tim had Chris Connaker put the computer together (that was in the early days of Computer Audiophile when Chris had the time). A trustworthy person who understands what your needs are is well worth the added cost. I ended up using the computer for 6 years, 300+ days a year, 24h a day. It still is going, but I don't have to use it much these days except for some occasional playback.

Larry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X