Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Has Learning To Play An Instrument Taught Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Has Learning To Play An Instrument Taught Me?

Among other things, there's no such thing as a mono and stereo era when it comes to music. πŸ˜‰
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Started playing piano when I was 9. Went on to get a B.A. in Music Ed. Then I went into the medical field so I could afford my addiction!!

When CD's were first introduced, I could never listen to a digitally recorded piano. Nothing sounded like the way a piano sounds. This led me on the mission to take those digital recordings and try to manipulate the sound to make it more "real". That's when I first went into mastering.

Comment

Trying for years to learn to play an instrument taught me I am far better off playing my stereo and letting people who know how to do it play the music...
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      -
      Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
      Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
      Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
      Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
      Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
      Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
      Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
      Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
      Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

I learned at an early age that I had no talent for playing any instrument after taking piano, flute and guitar lessons. The good thing is that those talented musicians need people like me who worship them and buy their music.
        Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
        Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
        Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
        Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
        R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
        Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
        Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
        Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
        Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

I learned that I should NEVER attempt to sing.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Bruce B is so right. There is music and then there is the music business. Much better to find gainful employment outside of the music biz and enjoy music from your listening chair be it in front of your stereo or in the concert hall. A hard learned music lesson.
            TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
            Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

There is a pretty good book worth reading whether or not you play -- it's called 'The Perfect Wrong Note.' Although it focuses on piano as the primary instrument, the premise- striving for repeatable, errorless playing of passages as one builds skill and familiarity with a piece- is in the author's estimation, a bad way to learn (aside from robbing the performance of vitality by a robotic like method). The author's approach- which could be taken as a sort of zen-like attitude toward all things-- is go with your mistakes-- you learn why you are veering off course, and also learn how to recover quickly. It teaches you more about your interaction with the instrument and the music.
              I started playing very young. Traditional beat it into you type lessons. Hated it. Only learned to love it when I escaped from the institution.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
                1morerecord2clean commented
                Editing a comment
                You can't learn to play any instrument via a shortcut. I still see late night infomercials for learning to play the guitar or the piano in ten easy lessons. It's ridiculous. Learning to play is like anything. A long arduous process. It isn't for most people. That's why there are so many guitars and drums in closets growing moldy. A little talent helps also but most people don't have much in that department. So in short if you can't read music fairly well, don't know key signatures, and can't count then you will be eternally frustrated by learning to play. Heck, even the best players in the world have some things they can do well and things they have to work at.

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Wrong note is one thing and can even work in some situations. Screwing up the rhythm. Dats a whole 'nuther thing! πŸ˜€

That's a good one Bill. I also enjoyed this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	51Y4Ngbj%2B4L.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	51205

Comment

lemme see. Four yrs private tutor who tried valiantly to teach me at least a modest proficiency with the piano. Started at age 8. Then came band in school; grade school thru high school. Instrument was trumpet. (my choice) In retrospect, what the overall experience taught me was not to quit my day job.

-Steve
                webmaster at The Analog Dept.
                system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
                  1morerecord2clean commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The story of Maurice Andre is that he had only been taking lessons for a short time when his teacher jokingly told him to go home and in two weeks to come back after practicing all the Characteristic Studies at the end of the Arban Method Book. He did. Don't know how accurate that story is but I have heard it a number of times from various players. The writer/director Garson Canin told a story many years ago that he originally started out as a pretty good clarinetist. He was playing in a pit band for a Broadway show when a young kid named Benny Goodman sat down next to him and after ten seconds of hearing him warm up Canin realized he had better find another profession. That's the way it is.

I learned that there is math in music

Comment

• RandyRobinson
                  RandyRobinson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wonder why that is? I started with drums and piano in grade school and did excel in math. The math I was thinking of was time signature related as well as repetitions of 8 bar groupings for jazz and rock, 8 or 12 for blues. Before I understood that, the thought of stringing notes together without structure was mind boggling.

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the other thing is that there are many music/math majors. Take the late Bob Reina who was a math/music major at MIT.

• Bruce B
                  Bruce B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Being a music major felt it prepared me better for those difficult anesthesia calculations!! Plus, I had the best music in the operating room!!

I learned I have a natural inability to play guitar.
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I gave all three kids he chance to learn hiw to play something
                  first two nothing
                  my ten year old has been playing for 4 years now. Can read and write music. Plays ok too no prodogy lol.
                  Also palys the trumpet too.
                  Regarding piano it's one of the most difficult to playback on a digital. Until I bought my first Msb dac. At the time my kid was playing a real piano in our home. Even with the Msb there was simply no realisism
                  when we moved I boigjt him a hi end korg. My system now sounds good lol.
                  analog stuff.
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                  sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                  thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                  kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                  phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

I really appreciate how good professional musicians are! Larry
                    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Truer words have not been spoken!

I know I tend to be cerebral at times but in this case was referring to how my record collection starts with the stereo era. I generally don't listen to mono recording. Yet most of the jazz stuff we've been playing definitely goes back to the early '50s and mono era. Take the latest Clifford Brown composition "Sandu" from the mid-50s.
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I learned:

- how to read music and notation;
                      - how to follow a conductor and to work with others in my section;
                      - what every other orchestral instrument sounds like up close and in ensemble;
                      - the value of practice;
                      - what it is like performing in recital on your own;
                      - what it is like being challenged by another musician for your chair;
                      - that playing an instrument (piano, clarinet) was the single most relaxing activity I could find.

Comment

Working...
                      X