No announcement yet.

The origins of "eh" in Canadian speech!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The origins of "eh" in Canadian speech!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ians-1.4115715
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Huh. I figured it had something to do with the French aspects of your history, so go figure. The fact that the one dude has devoted 5 years of his life to studying the origins of the use of "eh" in Canadian speech does speak volumes about something, eh?

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      That was a bit of a head scratcher indeed.

and here I thought it was to teach everyone how to spell the country... "C" eh, "N" eh, "D" eh... !!

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha! Good one!

Those so-called "linguists" are making things too complicated. "Eh" is most probably a variant on "est" (French "to be" or "is" and pronounced approximately like "eh") and also a variant on "oui," a word which for some French speakers includes a vocalization of "eh."
    Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting observation and not without merit IMO. Thanks for that!

Originally posted by Goheelz View Post
    Those so-called "linguists" are making things too complicated. "Eh" is most probably a variant on "est" (French "to be" or "is" and pronounced approximately like "eh") and also a variant on "oui," a word which for some French speakers includes a vocalization of "eh."
    So, I'm right!! And I didn't spend 5 years studying the issue to reach the wrong conclusion, no?

Comment

Working...
    X