Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 5 months of no music I'm back in business!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 5 months of no music I'm back in business!

Other than the odd LP or two, once or twice a week, I've had no opportunity to get in my usual 2-3 hour afternoon music session. All of that is now history, and starting tomorrow things will be back to normal. I can't wait! Unfortunately (well, maybe not) I have no idea where to start. I want to hear everything.

I'm sure I'll figure out, but it would be wonderful to hear from others how they approached a long-time absence from their music and systems. Did you choose the best sounding album, one of your favourite albums, a specific genre, artist, live, studio? The choices are endless.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Go with your gut and play LPs that you have really missed and really want to hear.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      One in the back of my mind is my UK copy of Tubular Bells.

Go live....
    Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      I have quite a few live recordings as I'm a big fan of them. Hmmm!!! I'll have to give some thought to that.

Just going thru the same thing, John. First, I needed to warm up the system- didn't want to here a "fav" under less than optimal conditions. Then I needed to adjust some stuff to get used to the room and the new set up. Not then listening for pleasure so much as using certain records as guideposts. Then, to make sure I was on the right track, I wanted to listen to a range of material to see how the set up and settings were with different demands placed on the system and room.
    I also snuck in some 'listening for pleasure.' My playlist is surely different than yours, but what I craved wasn't the sonic spectaculars- but an odd mixture of things I like- from early Chris Whitley, to a late reissue of Cressida's Asylum (one of the few big Vertigos I don't own- I am still in a quandary over whether to spend the funds for it given so many other things I like), some punk rock (not hi-fi) , as well as a little of that 'spiritual jazz' stuff that Ken G. has turned me onto.
    I don't think there is a 'right choice'- hell, in normal circumstances, I get fidgety: I'll put something on that I think I want to hear, and after a few tracks, go 'nah,' and pull something else out. The best is when you pull out something unexpected, and get completely sucked in-- no thought to it, no anticipation or expectations (those usually disappoint) and it's hard to predict exactly what will grab me at any given moment.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      Since my system setup hasn't changed and I don't have to deal with the situation that faces you, getting back into playing music is much simpler for me. However, since when never knows, I'll double-check those things I can check such as cartridge alignment, TT and rack leveling, speaker placement (just in case).
      I've got that UK Tubular Bells in my head, so I'm quite sure that'll be the first LP I cue up. I have about 4 stacks of LPs (maybe 75-100) that I need to file away, so I'm sure there'll be something in there or discover as I move them into my collection.

Just go for the shotgun/blind draw. Might result in greater appreciation of less often played items and prevent burnout on some favorites.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      Babe Ruth - First Base came to my mind. I used to love that album.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I'm a little worried......

It's been a month since I've had my room back and I've gone down twice for a session....TWICE! Previously I was enjoying 4-5 full sessions of several hours per week, but I seem to have lost all interest. I don't understand where this is coming from...most frustrating and maybe worrisome as well. Should I be?
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        When CDs plummeted in price in the late 2000's, the price was so cheap, that I got into buying and LISTENING to them both rock and classical.
        I pretty much abandoned Lps for like 3 years as I grew accustomed to CD sound. I eventually got back into Lps, now full force. I rarely listen to CDs anymore. It just goes to show listening habits can wax and wane.Dont do anything rash, like selling your music collection.

I think it's harder to hole oneself up in a listening room during the long days of summer than it is during the long nights of winter. Don't sweat it.
      Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
      Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
      Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
      Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

Too much thinking, not enough playing. My best sessions are unplanned and in no hurry, just enjoyment. The best selections are what ever I am listening to at the moment.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
      Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post

It's been a month since I've had my room back and I've gone down twice for a session....TWICE! Previously I was enjoying 4-5 full sessions of several hours per week, but I seem to have lost all interest. I don't understand where this is coming from...most frustrating and maybe worrisome as well. Should I be?
        The ebb and flow of life I think. I think we all face it from time to time.
        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
        Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
        Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
        SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
        Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
        Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
        Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
        Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
        Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
        Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
        Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
        Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
        CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
        Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
        DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
        Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
        Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, Massif Audio Design, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
          Johnny Vinyl commented
          Editing a comment
          That's good to know and was hoping to hear.

I say don't worry about it. The music will always be there. I go through this every time I get heavy into nature/wildlife photography, again or when the tarpon run starts over on the west coast of Florida. I always seem to get back into some listening by putting on some rock and roll and let it all go. My system doesn't change, its just my priorities.
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Well it's summertime most of the time where I live so I no longer feel the pressure to be outside during the 4 warm months when I lived on the east coast. But boredom sets in once in a while in every audiophile's life. If I can't find the musical genre to spark my interest among my records, cds, or Tidal I go for a walk or a bike ride. I don't go to my favorite audio store because that's just more immersion in what is not sparking me. Those days happen, they aren't frequent thank goodness. Even a Starbucks break with some people watching sometimes works. I find that I simply can't force the audio sometimes.
          Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post

No. Sometimes you are in the mood, sometimes not. At least that's been my experience over the decades. I'll go nuts for a while making sure everything is just so and then go through periods where I just want to listen to the thing and not bother with gear issues, tweaks, settings or the like. And, I've gone through my share of periods where the stuff just collected dust. Then, suddenly, I'm avid again. Like many things, love, mental illness and the desire for a liverwurst and onion sandwich, it can be an on and off thing. Doesn't mean I don't listen to music, think about music, or care about music. Right now, I'm on an upswing for obvious reasons. I've also got that vintage gear coming back to me, so I'll have that to contend with. But, I guess that sounds like my attraction is gear acquisition, and while that is fun, it's not the main purpose of the endeavor. It is, I think, to enjoy yourself. And that, I think, really does depend on mood and circumstance, doesn't it?

Comment

Thanks all for your take on the issue. I have been a little preoccupied with the NHL Draft, trades and free agent signings that can't officially be announced until July 1. You've put my mind at ease, so thanks!

Comment

I do a lot of listening on my bedroom/PC system (Lps from the main TT, FM radio, CD Player, PC Audio, Spotify ) while I am web surfing which is easier than going down into a basement only to listen.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• cpp
                  cpp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JC you got a basement in south Florida

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no JV does
              Working...
              X