Greatest Invention Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Invention Ever?

Where would we be without cash machines????
    On this day in History, First ATM opens for business on Sep 02, 1969. Learn more about what happened today on History.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

People no longer had to deal with "bankers hours", only open when people were at work, tellers on lunch break which was the only time when customers who worked could go to the bank, never open on weekends and never open past the regular workday. The kind of customer service typical of an industry with a captive customer base.

All banks were quick to adopt the new technology as any late or non-adopters would be left in the dust Banks were also quick to adopt internet services for the same reason. Still haven't budged from bankers hours though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
      People no longer had to deal with "bankers hours", only open when people were at work, tellers on lunch break which was the only time when customers who worked could go to the bank, never open on weekends and never open past the regular workday. The kind of customer service typical of an industry with a captive customer base.

All banks were quick to adopt the new technology as any late or non-adopters would be left in the dust Banks were also quick to adopt internet services for the same reason. Still haven't budged from bankers hours though.
      I remember when cash machines came to NYC in the early '70s. Except back then they didn't hold all that much money and it was always a race on weekends to make sure you got to the machine before it was drained. Usually by Sunday the cash machine was empty.

What used to make me crazy is when different banks gave out different denominations of cash. Citibank gave it out in $50s while Chemical/Chase in $20s. Most businesses didn't want to deal with $50 bills.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Cash? What's that :-)
        Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

I used to work for NCR, the worlds largest manufacturer of ATM's. In the 80's and 90's global ATM production was out of Aberdeen, Scotland.

Greatest invention ever? The Wheel

Comment

I rarely use the atm anymore, I get by without using cash. credit and debit cards have replaced cash.
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

greatest invention ever? the internet or the smartphone.

Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                greatest invention ever? the internet or the smartphone.

Think the guys who invented the ATM machine made out far better financially than the other two. Read years ago - and don't know if true - they get a fee for every transaction. Kind of like that villain Richard Pryor played in Superman III.

Comment

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think theres more to greatness of an invention than financial gain to the inventor. i.e. Benefit to mankind.

Oh I would say agriculture!

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was gonna say the contact lens, but yours is better. :-) seasonal planting, crop rotation - that stuff.

Scotiabank has a policy (you have to ask for it though) that at age 59 gives you free banking. No more monthly fees, UNLIMITED debit card usage, no-fee chequebooks. I've been living in an almost cashless society since then.

Perhaps not the greatest invention, but the Gutenberg printing press ranks right up there.
                Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

How about the washing machine?

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosli...ashing_machine

Comment

I think this pic might have been taken in Texas?

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Solar powered?

• Bodhi
                      Bodhi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whatever's left of that machine went down Groundhog Day style!

Pop-Top can and Zip lock bags

Comment

You've all listed the best things since sliced bread.
                      Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
                      Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                      Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
                      Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

I never use cash....always credit card. That way if I have any issues, i call the bank, and they take care of it. I walk around with about 10 dollars to use for a car parking tip, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X