A personal update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A personal update!

It may be somewhat presumptuous of me to assume this, but some of you may have been wondering, or at least noticing, that my participation here has decreased dramatically in the last year. I gave Myles a quick PM a while back informing him as to why as I didn't want him to think I was deserting the group.

The last 2 years has seen my mother deteriorating rapidly. She can no longer be left alone and requires 24hr assistance. We decided that she needed additional help and this has resulted in a significant strain of our finances. I'm not a rich man, so to get some quick cash I sold my much loved Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl and a few other audio/music related items. It was the right thing to do certainly and I'd do it again.

Since I mostly participate in the music-related parts of the forum, I now find myself in a position of not being able to do so as I'm basically system-less. I can only comment from memory on my music-related experiences. I have nothing new to offer. At this point I'm not sure when a replacement IA will be purchased. It could be some time.

I'll be around though and I check in every day, but I now mostly keep myself busy with some of my other interests.

Please know I didn't write for sympathy, but purely out of respect for people I have come to know and like. Oh...life is good!

John
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

In my mother's last couple of years, she appreciated music to help reconnect her to her memories. I would bring over a big JVC Kaboom box that sounded suprisingly good, and she would perkup when she recognized something even to sing along on occasion. Sweet times. Enjoy them while you have the opportunity.

Comment

HI Johnny. Yes, you have been missed - but you have clearly been doing things a lot more important. Taking care of your family. I hope your mother can get a quality of life in the best direction for her and your family.

cheers
      Shane

Comment

Hang in there, John. Not easy. You gotta come up for air occasionally, just to keep yourself afloat. I know it is emotionally and physically draining--
        Even in the midst of some of the stuff I went thru with my parents there were some very funny moments. Bittersweet.

Comment

Hoping she is not experiencing pain.

Comment

John, thanks for sharing. We have all gone through similar situations so we know what you are dealing with. Hang in there. We will try to entertain you.
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

You're a good man Johnny, you've done the right thing. Hoping the outcome is for the best and you return to a system to spin records again posthaste.
              Linn Kilmax LP12 | My Sonic Lab | Channel D | Wadia | Innuos | Valvet | KR Audio | Klipsch

A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know when when you are wrong - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

JONNY in the end we should do for our parents always
                I did this for my brother too. He was 17 years older and died early of cancer at just 56 same as my dad did
                imagine when I neared 50 what my thoughts were
                I held both my brother and my mom at the end
                most All make life about money 💰 alone but it seems in the end it does not matter for those moving on. It seems to matter for those still here much more.
                Yoir a kind sole JONNY of the kindest here.
                Maybe headphones there pretty cheap. Did you sell your vinyl too ?
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

You are a fine son, Johnny. Hope your mother is comfortable, and we'll wait for you.

Comment

Johnny,

i understand your situation completely. All four parents alive in NJ and NY. 97, 92, 90, 88 years old. One with dementia, two somewhat physically challenged, one ok so far. First two in assisted care living and second two living independently 55+. This situation will change for my wife and I in the not too distant future I am sure. So all the best in your situation and stick with Audio Nirvana.

TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Hana ML Cartridge, Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

So sorry to hear this, and has already been said, you're a good man and did the right thing. May God bless and keep you and your family.
                      Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
                      Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
                      Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
                      Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
                      Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
                      Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
                      Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
                      Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
                      Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener -
                      Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
                      CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
                      Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
                      Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
                      Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
                      Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
                      Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. It's most touching!
                        Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Sorry to hear about your mom, John. Be sure to save some time for yourself.

Comment

John, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. We have gone through this ourselves. Bless you all.

Comment

John I really don't know you as I am a new member, but I am all too familiar with your struggle. You are obviously a devoted son, the best any mother could wish for. My prayers are with you and your family. Godspeed.
                              Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

Working...
                              X