Best Cities For Foodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cities For Foodies

America is full of amazing places to eat. These cities come out on top.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

The list was slow to load so i didn't make it to the end. I think, with the culinary renaissance in the U.S. which began many years ago, but got a real boost in the last ten years with the proliferation of young chefs who are willing to go out on their own, and look for lower overhead, a lot of places now have food meccas. Portland, ME used to be pretty limited; not so any more. Boston, too, has like DC (which was a culinary wasteland 30 years ago in my estimation) a variety of good, interesting restaurants. We've had killer Italian food in "IT" cities like Ashville, and amazing Chinese in the suburbs of Va.
    I like to explore the 'no star' restaurants-- the storefront, local spots. Yeah, there have been some misses along the way but memorable meals in out of the way places--we ate fresh seafood along the Chesapeake at what amounted to a truck stop; I also depend on local "intelligence" for places-- the Parkway Bakery in NOLA has sensational oyster po'boys and I enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than the Commander's.
    I got to a point in NYC where I simply quit doing the "in" restaurants largely because of the 'scene'-- FWIW, Franklin, the most hyped BBQ place in Austin, requires hours of waiting. There's a place that I go to on the rare occasions when I eat BBQ that is nothing more than a couple trailers in a yard, and I'm told by those who have run the gauntlet at Franklin's that it is just as good.
    To me, half the battle is quality ingredients. And avoiding the trap of complicating the dishes unnecessarily, which gets in the way of taste. I guess, in that respect, it's like audio.

Comment

My wife and I rarely eat out anymore. I like having complete control over what goes into my meals, and am less willing, these days, to give myself over to unknowns in the kitchen. Simpler is better for me. Dallas is something of a wasteland, in my opinion, being mostly chains. Chef Graham has had a couple of places we liked here.
      Portland, OR was already near the top of my list twenty years ago when I was spending time there. Haven't visited lately. There's always somewhere good in NOLA.

Comment

good list but it would look a little different if talking just haute cuisine and ranking cities with the most Michelin stared or James Beard awarded establishments. The food scene in So Cal has never been better IMO. I actually prefer ethnic/fusion mom & pop hole in the wall restaurants than what's on everyone's radar, there's no shortage of them. And the price is right when you have two son's that live to devour AYCE Asian/K-BBQ.
        Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Quicksilver| Chord | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          She's a "Chilanga" Mexcio city cuisine is more continental than indigenous. Locally you need to go the 'hood, there are many authentic taquerias in Santa Ana. Have you not been to Guisados or El Tepeyac in East L.A.? or for very authentic Oaxacan cuisine Guelaguetza near K-town is superb.

• Kingrex
          Kingrex commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe we have a lot of fairly authentic Mexican here in Seattle. However the one meat they seem to lack is goat. When I find a place serving it I generally get it.

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Birria is quite common in So. Cal there are lots of places that specialize in goat. Try finding a restaurant that serves Chapulines

I'm a bit surprised Boston did not make the list. It is certainly worthy.

Comment

Food is generally better, but sometimes over the top. I don't get the foam under Meats such as fish. Those generally turn me off. I also find restaurant food from the major chefs such as Ethan Stowell, Tom Douglas Etc are far too heavy in fats and salt. They are so rich you're there more for a nibble or you risk feeling bloated and sick
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

So subjective, as everyone has different tastes.

Comment

• Kingrex
              Kingrex commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're referring to my comments about fats and salt, scientifically the food served at many restaurants today is unhealthy for you.

• Slowgeezr
              Slowgeezr commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, no. I was just commenting on best food lists in general.

Come here to New Orleans and I'll show you places only the locals know about!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
              Come here to New Orleans and I'll show you places only the locals know about!!!
              NOLA is killer for food (as well as architecture, music and a bunch of other things). Sadly, I'm now allergic to shellfish, so I have to work around some of the much loved cuisine- but I've had amazing food there. Probably the most interesting city in the U.S. and unlike any other. Not sure I could live there- but very intriguing place.
              PS: you know the Parkway Bakery- right? Our mutual friend took us there. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

NOLA is killer for food (as well as architecture, music and a bunch of other things). Sadly, I'm now allergic to shellfish, so I have to work around some of the much loved cuisine- but I've had amazing food there. Probably the most interesting city in the U.S. and unlike any other. Not sure I could live there- but very intriguing place.
                PS: you know the Parkway Bakery- right? Our mutual friend took us there. Really enjoyed it.
                Hi Bill,
                Yes I know about the PB and alot of other places that have great food, I have lived here my whole life so I have seen them come and go!!!

Comment

I've found the more interesting places to dine out are typically hole in the wall. A little Deli in Buchanan NY, a little sea food joint in Florida City, an Italian joint in of all places Angleton TX, a little BBQ place just outside Birmingham AL, believe it or not oysters in Portland OR and so on. Oysters out of the cold water in the Pacific northwest/Puget Sound are especially good.

On the other hand I can head just down the road to Joe Patti's Seafood, pick up a couple pounds of fresh of the boat 10 count Gulf shrimp, and steam them with a little sliced lemon and celery. Likewise go fishing on the jetty and bring in a few specks, redfish or a grouper and grill them up. And finally go to the local butcher for a nice prime New York Strip cut extra thick and throw it on my wood or charcoal fired grill along with fresh produce from the farmers market about three miles down the road. My Italian dishes aren't too bad either what with an Italian grandmother and all, I know what garlic is and I'm not afraid to use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X