Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 Best Restaurants in New York City

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 50 Best Restaurants in New York City

    Been to seven of the top ten. Never could get a reservation at Daniels.

    11 Madison Park and Bouley got my vote for the best meals I've ever had. And both excelled in terms of service too. A three hour dining extravaganza! In fact, Bouley would get my vote for the best food and meal I've ever had.

    Haven't been to Le Bernardin since it opened but you have to like fish to eat there!
    List of The 50 Best Restaurants in NYC by Zagat's staff
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
    ________________________________________

    -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

  • #2
    Now I know where to go next time when I am in NYC area.

    Comment


    • #3
      Could this also be titled as 50 most expensive?
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice list. I have eaten I a few. I used subscribe to them but I ended up being unhappy with some of there choices.
        Jacks os much better he Lugaas or old home stead both use butter to cooks steak yuk. Uncle jacks or johnies is my choice. No boo or no no next door is good but the one on 57 is the best in the city.
        analog stuff.
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

        Comment


        • #5
          For NYC it's a actually not top 50 in price lol.
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

          Comment


          • #6
            I've eaten at many of these, or their earlier incarnations. Blue Hill up in the country is an experience, although it is a tad precious- it is situated on the largest tract of undeveloped land in Westchester County, essentially the Rockefeller family homes and compound, old stone barns restored to the max, probably the largest commercial kitchen I have ever seen. Haven't eaten in a Bouley restaurant in some time, the first one, years ago, was phenomenal. Daniel is exceptional in its level of attention to everything. Danny Meyer's Modern in MoMa, facing the sculpture garden, is very, very good.
            At less than Mich 3 star prices, good meals can be had in Manhattan at the Trattoria Del Art near Carnegie Hall and that seafood place, Aqua Grill (mentioned in the survey) in Soho.
            For incredible Italian food, travel to downtown Brooklyn- The Queen restaurant on Court St. Real Sicilian delicacies, everything home-made, more a local store front restaurant than a fancy place; Killer Szechuan food at Wu Liang Ye near Rock Center- dumpy walk-up, need reservations, if you know what to order, you'll be in heaven.
            For pizza, finally got to try Motorino in Williamsburg. Phenomenal pizza and delicious appetizers- I had a beet, white anchovie and parsley salad. Four Seasons is gone, isn't it?
            I rarely come into the city anymore, so I haven't sampled some the latest "hot" spots. One of the restaurants on the list-Mas- which regularly shows up on the "top of NYC" restaurants is owned (or co-owned) by a young lawyer who worked in my firm- I don't know if he still practices law.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'll offer Paul and Jimmys for Italian. 123 E 18th near Irving Pl. haven't been there in quite a few years but one of my faves from way back. The best gnocchi I have had outside of Italy. Veal used to be fanatastic. Great wines. And my favorite dessert, zabalgoni - the hot version mixed and made right at your table, not the cold 3 day old refrigerated garbage most places, even expensive ones, serve up with strawberries to cover up what they are serving you, still the original family so I assume still great food. Can't vouch for what were once modest prices by NYC standards.

              pizza? Best for me are two locations, both Zaggats rated. Both Tacconelli's. Same family but run separately. Two locations. One in Port Richmond section of Philadelphia and the other in Maple Shade, NJ close to Cherry Hill. Pizza to die for.

              The Zagat list? I just don't spend enough on food for it to be meaningful. I had a reservation once at Peter Lugar's. Two friends and me. They couldn't make it for some reason so I never had the pleasure.
              TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

              Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

              VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
              Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

              Piega C711 Loudspeakers

              Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

              Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

              Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

              Comment


              • Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I know Paul and Jimmy's- if I recall you walked up stairs like a brownstone, and it was semi-fancy, but not formal. If it is the same one I'm remembering, it is very good.

              • 1morerecord2clean
                1morerecord2clean commented
                Editing a comment
                Bill I think the Italian place you are remembering is about 200' from Pauls and Jimmys. I don't recall the name but it is on Irving Pl at 18th and it used to be excellent. Don't know now. JImmys and Pauls is on 18th St west of Irving PL. no stairs as I recall. Just walk straight in. Nice inside but not fancy. I used to love going myself and sitting at the bar and having dinner and shooting the you know what with the bartender. I always left room for their Zabalgione.

              • Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks, it's been a while. I always liked the tranquilly of that area, b/c the park broke up the through traffic. Nice little neighborhood.

            • #8
              Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Been to seven of the top ten. Never could get a reservation at Daniels.

              11 Madison Park and Bouley got my vote for the best meals I've ever had. And both excelled in terms of service too. A three hour dining extravaganza! In fact, Bouley would get my vote for the best food and meal I've ever had.

              Haven't been to Le Bernardin since it opened but you have to like fish to eat there!
              My wife is a real foodie and Le Bernardin is her favorite restaurant. Rupert has a restaurant in a Ritz Carlton in the Grand Cayman, Blue I think it's called: exceptional.

              My wife and I got engaged at Bouley when it was in the townhouse on Duane St. The smell of the fresh apples as you walked in was simply delicious. We returned to the new Bouley for our 20th anniversary and was somewhat disappointed. Perhaps our expectations were too high.

              If you can't get into Daniel, try Cafe Boloud. Not as stuffy and the food is of comparable quality IMO. Absolutely delicious, and a little less expensive.

              Per Se was really good, but a bit overrated and very overpriced.

              Luger is a bucket list restaurant IMO, if not the food but the overall experience.
              Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                ...

                For pizza, finally got to try Motorino in Williamsburg. Phenomenal pizza and delicious appetizers- I had a beet, white anchovie and parsley salad. Four Seasons is gone, isn't it?
                I rarely come into the city anymore, so I haven't sampled some the latest "hot" spots. One of the restaurants on the list-Mas- which regularly shows up on the "top of NYC" restaurants is owned (or co-owned) by a young lawyer who worked in my firm- I don't know if he still practices law.
                Bill, have you tried Grimaldi's? We are planning a trip to NYC to try some real good pizza and was thinking Grimaldi's. Is Motorino better?
                Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

                Comment


                • lasercd
                  lasercd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not Bill nor do I play him on tv but I have been to Grimaldi's and both Motorino locations (in fact the Williamsburg outpost with Bill). Its been some time since I've been to Grimaldi's. I recall it being an outstanding old school NY style pie. Motorino is very different - Neapolitan style. More of a smaller personal pizza style.

                  Many outstanding pizza joints in NYC. You couldn't go wrong with either Grimaldi's or Motorino but the later gets my vote.

              • #10
                Originally posted by allenh View Post

                Bill, have you tried Grimaldi's? We are planning a trip to NYC to try some real good pizza and was thinking Grimaldi's. Is Motorino better?
                Is Grimaldi's the old Patsy's down at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge? If so, we used to eat there when we lived in Brooklyn Heights. It was good. If not, I don't know it, though I recognize the name. The one everybody raves about is an old school one in Midwood called Di Fara- never been there. Used to go to the Tontonno's in Coney island- it was pretty famous- very standard pies- not even sure it is still around after the owner died.
                Motorino is hipster pizza, to a high level. Made by lumbersexuals, using farm to table ingredients, hand-crafted in small batches, by folks wearing flannel and hemp.. It's pretty seriously good. Trattoria Del Arte, which I mentioned above in proximity to Carnegie Hall also has a great pizza, not traditional- very, very thin, you get this huge pie as a serving for one person. (Since they like me, they made me a white clam one last time I was there, though it isn't on the menu).

                Comment


                • lasercd
                  lasercd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's Grimaldi's - right by the bridge.

                • allenh
                  allenh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Bill. Maybe we'll try some of the ones you recommended as well.

              • #11
                Originally posted by allenh View Post

                My wife is a real foodie and Le Bernardin is her favorite restaurant. Rupert has a restaurant in a Ritz Carlton in the Grand Cayman, Blue I think it's called: exceptional.

                My wife and I got engaged at Bouley when it was in the townhouse on Duane St. The smell of the fresh apples as you walked in was simply delicious. We returned to the new Bouley for our 20th anniversary and was somewhat disappointed. Perhaps our expectations were too high.

                If you can't get into Daniel, try Cafe Boloud. Not as stuffy and the food is of comparable quality IMO. Absolutely delicious, and a little less expensive.

                Per Se was really good, but a bit overrated and very overpriced.

                Luger is a bucket list restaurant IMO, if not the food but the overall experience.
                Luger's is a trip. I used to eat there regularly. Best time to go is during the week, well after lunch. The "lull." Bring cash, unless they started taking credit cards. I have a lot of good stories from Lugers, the time the Donald took my table, the time Ray Liotta came in for dinner right after Goodfellas was a hit, and a few others- it is a piece of NY history, though I don't know that the waiters are as gruffly Germanic and rude as they used to be. But, folks that went there 75 years ago probably said the same thing. I was told it was always more expensive than the city steakhouses, even when a steak dinner with all the trimmings was $4.95, Lugers was $5.95. (Probably well before WWII).

                Comment


                • #12
                  Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                  I've eaten at many of these, or their earlier incarnations. Blue Hill up in the country is an experience, although it is a tad precious- it is situated on the largest tract of undeveloped land in Westchester County, essentially the Rockefeller family homes and compound, old stone barns restored to the max, probably the largest commercial kitchen I have ever seen. Haven't eaten in a Bouley restaurant in some time, the first one, years ago, was phenomenal. Daniel is exceptional in its level of attention to everything. Danny Meyer's Modern in MoMa, facing the sculpture garden, is very, very good.
                  At less than Mich 3 star prices, good meals can be had in Manhattan at the Trattoria Del Art near Carnegie Hall and that seafood place, Aqua Grill (mentioned in the survey) in Soho.
                  For incredible Italian food, travel to downtown Brooklyn- The Queen restaurant on Court St. Real Sicilian delicacies, everything home-made, more a local store front restaurant than a fancy place; Killer Szechuan food at Wu Liang Ye near Rock Center- dumpy walk-up, need reservations, if you know what to order, you'll be in heaven.
                  For pizza, finally got to try Motorino in Williamsburg. Phenomenal pizza and delicious appetizers- I had a beet, white anchovie and parsley salad. Four Seasons is gone, isn't it?
                  I rarely come into the city anymore, so I haven't sampled some the latest "hot" spots. One of the restaurants on the list-Mas- which regularly shows up on the "top of NYC" restaurants is owned (or co-owned) by a young lawyer who worked in my firm- I don't know if he still practices law.
                  I haven't been to the Blue Hill on the Rockerfeller estate but I understand it's sensational. I think they also have a high sustainability factor and raise much of the meat and vegetables themselves. Quite a bit was also organic.

                  Everyone I know who has gone to the Modern is similarly impressed. Danny's restaurant group prides themselves on the experience. Like you, I also enjoy Trattoria del Art and they also own Red Eye Grill next door.

                  I am am not sure about the Four Seasons as it was closing but not sure if reopening. Another good one on the list is Mas down in the Village but that too IIRC was closing and then remodeling. French farmhouse communal type dining fare.

                  One restaurant we recently ate at that both Heidi and I enjoyed relatively recently was Dirty French in the Lower East Side.

                  http://www.dirtyfrench.com
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                  ________________________________________

                  -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                  -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

                  Comment


                  • #13
                    Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

                    Is Grimaldi's the old Patsy's down at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge? If so, we used to eat there when we lived in Brooklyn Heights. It was good. If not, I don't know it, though I recognize the name. The one everybody raves about is an old school one in Midwood called Di Fara- never been there. Used to go to the Tontonno's in Coney island- it was pretty famous- very standard pies- not even sure it is still around after the owner died.
                    Motorino is hipster pizza, to a high level. Made by lumbersexuals, using farm to table ingredients, hand-crafted in small batches, by folks wearing flannel and hemp.. It's pretty seriously good. Trattoria Del Arte, which I mentioned above in proximity to Carnegie Hall also has a great pizza, not traditional- very, very thin, you get this huge pie as a serving for one person. (Since they like me, they made me a white clam one last time I was there, though it isn't on the menu).
                    I used to like Lombardi pizza on Spring St. But be warned, they don't take reservations and the line can be long. Their clam pizza was to die for!
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                    ________________________________________

                    -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

                    Comment


                    • #14
                      Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                      Could this also be titled as 50 most expensive?

                      Some but not all. Especially once get out of the top 10 or 20. But remember NY is just downright expensive.

                      Per SE is very expensive, owned by the same people who own French Laundry in California. Price really depends a lot on the wine. One can easily drop $500 to $1000 on the wine with a group. Per Se will probably set you back with tax and tip on the order (without bottles of wine) $400-500 per person.

                      Last time we went to Bouley (we've been twice) for a special occasion we spent around $400 per person or so with two glasses of wine each. But you could go there just for the bread. They have a bread cart that comes around with something like 15 different types of fresh baked bread to die for!!! You really have to practice self control or can totally just fill up on the bread. And is is the best three hour dining experience of your life
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                      ________________________________________

                      -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

                      Comment


                      • #15
                        Originally posted by allenh View Post

                        My wife is a real foodie and Le Bernardin is her favorite restaurant. Rupert has a restaurant in a Ritz Carlton in the Grand Cayman, Blue I think it's called: exceptional.

                        My wife and I got engaged at Bouley when it was in the townhouse on Duane St. The smell of the fresh apples as you walked in was simply delicious. We returned to the new Bouley for our 20th anniversary and was somewhat disappointed. Perhaps our expectations were too high.

                        If you can't get into Daniel, try Cafe Boloud. Not as stuffy and the food is of comparable quality IMO. Absolutely delicious, and a little less expensive.

                        Per Se was really good, but a bit overrated and very overpriced.

                        Luger is a bucket list restaurant IMO, if not the food but the overall experience.
                        Yes it is . old home stead is too . here s one not sure I am spelling it right , oldest rest in nyc chauncers or francers tavern . pearl st and water st. my companey renovated it after sandy . president Washington gave his inag speech there . good food and for me a great place to have gone too. irish owned some very wealthy group they own a bunch of flagsip rest throughtout the world
                        analog stuff.
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                        Dacs lampi various

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X