Strawberry Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Pie

It’s Spring folks, although you wouldn’t know it in some places. Newfoundland got hit with two blizzards in a row dumping 60+cm of the white stuff each time.

Under normal circumstances though Spring is a time whereby once again fresh fruits start to become abundant at your local market and outdoor stands will soon take up weekend space in parking lots all over your city.

I was at Costco a few days ago and picked up a 2lb pack of fresh strawberries that looked gorgeous, and they were. I immediately had visions of a fresh strawberry pie.

Since I was only making one I decided to use a Tenderflake frozen pie crust, which I obviously thawed first. I blind-baked it for 20 minutes at 375°F lining the shell with aluminium foil and dried beans for weight. I then removed the foil and beans and baked it for another 15 minutes at the same temperature. It was now fully cooked and had a lovely golden brown colour to it.

In the meantime I cleaned the strawberries and cut each one in half and set them aside. I then proceeded to make the gelatin filling/sauce using a packet of raspberry-flavoured Jell-O.

Over a medium stovetop setting I heated some sugar (¾ cup), cornstarch (2 Tbsps) and 1 cup of water until it started to thicken. I then removed it from the burner and mixed in the raspberry Jell-O powder and let that cool to room temperature.

Once the pie shell and gelatin mixture was cooled I started assembly. I layered the bottom of the pie shell with the halved strawberries and poured/spread some of the gelatin mix over it. I repeated this for the second layer. I let it sit for a bit to make sure the gelatin mix got into every little crevice, which it did and there was no need to add more. It then went into the fridge to have the pie set properly.

Here’s the result:

Some whipped cream is always on standby as well.

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Your killing me! Looks great.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
    DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

OMG, that looks tasty. It's also a work of art!
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
      Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Nice work. Speaking of pies. Here's the best song ever written on the subject, brilliantly performed by Patty Griffin.

Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

Working...
        X