Pan-fried Wild Pacific Cod with Lemon Butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pan-fried Wild Pacific Cod with Lemon Butter

Picked up some fresh Wild Pacific Cod (skinless) from Costco yesterday to have for our Good Friday evening meal. Each piece was about ¾-1" thick and I trimmed off the thinner tail end on two of them. I didn't toss that out though and simply flash fried them at the end. I rinsed each piece of Cod under cold running water and then made sure to dry them off completely. This is a very important step to remember, so don't forget!

I seasoned them lightly with salt & pepper only as that Is how I prefer it. Season as you wish though! These pieces were quite big so I used a large non-stick fry pan and did them in two batches.

Preheat your pan on MED heat and add 2 Tbsps of EVOO or the oil of your preference. Swirl the oil in your pan and lay down two pieces. Once in the pan DO NOT MOVE THEM and let them cook for 3 minutes (each side). Have a half of a lemon and 2-3 Tbsps of Butter at the ready. Turn your fish over and add the butter, then squeeze in the lemon. Baste your fish a few times. You'll have enough lemon butter to pour over your fish when plated. All of this takes barely 10 minutes.

Serve the Cod with whatever you like. I made some Wild Rice with mushrooms, onion and orange/yellow/red sweet peppers, and steamed Green Beans.

Your Cod will be perfectly cooked. The evidence is in the pictures! Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cod Fillets.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	50949Click image for larger version

Name:	Cod Fillets 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	50950
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Johnny, thanks. Looks delicious. We have some of the Costco Cod Fillets in our freezer right now. Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome Larry! . This is nice and simple and oh so flaky and moist. The fish really absorbs the lemon during cooking as well, so you get a nice fresh hit of it.

Looks good Johnny. I wish we had a Costco around here. All we have is Sams Club which is owned by Wally World. More upscale clientele though as you have to pay to belong to Sams. Wally World freak show is free.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      No more Sam's in Canada. They arrived too late as Costco had that market pretty much sewn up already. They lasted about 4 years and high-tailed it outta here.

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      Does Costco have a grazing isle like Sams?

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean like food samples? F*ck yeah! You could easily go for lunch courtesy of Costco!

It looks great Johnny. I've been an avid angler in the PSW since childhood and had to look up Pacific Cod. Its fished in the PNW which is why i've never seen one hit the deck. One of the very best ways I like to enjoy cod (Lent food) is the salted variety aka "Bacalao" (Portuguese/Spanish). its cured (dried/salted) and later reconstituted for use in stews, it's one of my faves whenever I hit the local Portuguese joint.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah.Salt Cod! Good indeed. Very popular in our Maritime Provinces as well. There was a ban on Cod fishing for over a decade on our East Coast, but stocks are coming back slowly. There's been a long-standing dispute between Canada and Portugal about illegal fishing in our waters.

Looks great John! The only thing I'd add and you might want to too is some capers crisped up in butter. Yum!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      It looks great Johnny. I've been an avid angler in the PSW since childhood and had to look up Pacific Cod. Its fished in the PNW which is why i've never seen one hit the deck. One of the very best ways I like to enjoy cod (Lent food) is the salted variety aka "Bacalao" (Portuguese/Spanish). its cured (dried/salted) and later reconstituted for use in stews, it's one of my faves whenever I hit the local Portuguese joint.
      A little bit of bacalao in mashed potatoes is heavenly as well Still, I dream of Pilpil!

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! the place I go to finishes it with diced potato, olives and hard boiled egg baked in a gratin. they also make Portuguese  pastel de nata  I break my diet every time i'm there.
    Working...
    X