Any Star Trek Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Star Trek Fans

CBS teaser for upcoming new series to debut in January!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

I watch any thing sci fi no matter how good or how bad old or new does not matter

Comment

• Beaur
      Beaur commented
      Editing a comment
      Garth, Tel me you didn't watch Terra Nova for more than a couple of episodes!

• Garth
      Garth commented
      Editing a comment
      Watched it all even watched Killer Clowns From Outer Space The one that ripped of day of the triffeds about a small island off Ireland where the only way to keep the space monsters from eating you was to have large amounts of alcohol in your blood most of the island made it to safety being Ireland. You know cultural stuff

Don't watch much network TV but that's an interesting one to me.

I took an Alaska cruise a while back and there was a Treky group on. The cruise line kept us separate for the most part but here were a bunch of them at the end lunch buffet. Pretty strange with people dressed up as Spock and Klingons.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
      I watch any thing sci fi no matter how good or how bad old or new does not matter
      I love sci-fi too whether its reading or watching.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Ha! It looks like Abrams' lens flares have become part of canon

Comment

I am curious re this new series, no idea when folks in the UK will be able to see it, but I am concerned too.

Will this series be old time line or JJ timeline, I have mixed feelings about JJ films, I like them but I don't feel they are really Star Trek, the original vibe, ethos has gone, replaced with something else. I have the same concerns for JJs Star Wars too.

For awhile the Star Trek mantle, with Paramount/CBS blessing - within certain guidelines - has sat with the fans, Star Trek Continues, Star Trek Phase Two, being the better made, and more recently with Axanar. Sadly Axanar have bent the guidelines re what CBS will permit with their copyright and now all fan produced material could be at risk.

If folks haven't seen the film prequel - Prelude to Axanar - you should look, it features former Star Trek actors and some folks involved in the original series production (as has in fairness ST Continues and ST Phase Two) but its main attractiveness is production standards, look and vibe that puts the JJ films to a degree in the shade.

Here is a link to Prelude to Axanar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Anyone interested you should check out Star Trek Continues (https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues) and Phase Two (https://www.youtube.com/user/startrekphase2DE) they aren't as polished as Axanar but the spirit of Trek is in them and as the stories progress they get better.
          Main System: Sources - Digital - Moon Andromeda CDP, Esoteric P5/D5 SACDP, AMR DP777 DAC, Dell PC. Analogue - SME Model 20, Graham Phantom 1.5, Ortofon 7500, Technics 1200 (heavily modified), Triplanar 7, VDH Gold, Revox B77 2, various analogue tuners. Amplification - BAT VK52se pre, Passlabs Xono, Music Reference RM200 mk1, BAT VK75. Speakers - Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5. Tables - Clearlight Audio. Cables - Altlas, Audience, Analysis +, Wireworld, XLO. Mains -Dedicated Spur only.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectralMorn View Post
            I am curious re this new series, no idea when folks in the UK will be able to see it, but I am concerned too.

Will this series be old time line or JJ timeline, I have mixed feelings about JJ films, I like them but I don't feel they are really Star Trek, the original vibe, ethos has gone, replaced with something else. I have the same concerns for JJs Star Wars too.

For awhile the Star Trek mantle, with Paramount/CBS blessing - within certain guidelines - has sat with the fans, Star Trek Continues, Star Trek Phase Two, being the better made, and more recently with Axanar. Sadly Axanar have bent the guidelines re what CBS will permit with their copyright and now all fan produced material could be at risk.

If folks haven't seen the film prequel - Prelude to Axanar - you should look, it features former Star Trek actors and some folks involved in the original series production (as has in fairness ST Continues and ST Phase Two) but its main attractiveness is production standards, look and vibe that puts the JJ films to a degree in the shade.

Here is a link to Prelude to Axanar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Anyone interested you should check out Star Trek Continues (https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues) and Phase Two (https://www.youtube.com/user/startrekphase2DE) they aren't as polished as Axanar but the spirit of Trek is in them and as the stories progress they get better.

I understand your concerns as a hard core Trekkie. There were clearly breaks with the time line and what went before especially with the last movie. I though the first JJ directed Into the Darkness was good but no where as good as what I consider the best Star Trek movie done to date First Contact.

I watched some of these other Star Trek series on line and honestly, most of them are painful to watch. And I followed how CBS/Paramount came down on Axanar. The Star Trek series book were more interesting.

Star Trek with Scot Bakula just sadly never took off for whatever the reason. They didn't seem to want to give it time to develop or find the best writing team say as the did with Voyager which became markedly better in the last three or so seasons.

We shall have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectralMorn View Post

Not a big JJ fan either, maybe its all the prerelease hype building up expectation for his movies but they always failed to impress and the endings were weak. I have to admit my dislike for Quinto's one dimensional acting and Pine is no Shatner or Stewart! But its Star Trek so it will be DVR'd...

david
              Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
              Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
              Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

But I think JJ Abrams did a good job writing the later Star Trek TV series.

What is everyone's favorite TV Series? Mine was DS9.

Comment

• Garth
                  Garth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Big DS9 fan still think the best SCI FI right now. I think it is the USA Election Both front runners a Aliens Vote for the Dark Side

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What I loved about DS9 was it had the largest battles between fleets of any of the Star Trek. And the USS Defiant was really cool and what they really never said about the ship is that they were waiting to capture a Borg ship and outfit the ship with the transwarp drive. Plus the shapeshifter, the Jem'Hadar and the Bajoran mysticism, wormhole, etc. made for a great series. DS9 was actually supposed to be what Roddenbury actually envisioned Star Trek to be.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                But I think JJ Abrams did a good job writing the later Star Trek TV series.

What is everyone's favorite TV Series? Mine was DS9.
                I loved them all and continue to watch almost all the reruns of every series. You could say that I'm also a SciFi junkie, certainly prefer them over most of the new ones that rely mostly on CG than acting and dialog!

Which series was/is JJ involved in?

david

Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post

I loved them all and continue to watch almost all the reruns of every series. You could say that I'm also a SciFi junkie, certainly prefer them over most of the new ones that rely mostly on CG than acting and dialog!

Which series was/is JJ involved in?
                  P
                  david
                  IIRC voyager.

Comment

IIRC voyager.
                    Well, that was in many ways the weakest series of the lot and for many not even a real Star Trek franchise. Unlike every other ST this one had only a single plot, "get home", the characters were flat, predictable and boring (hey that was JJ's ST movie !) and for good measure they added 7 of 9 to keep the 13 year olds happy. Like many other JJ tv series after a while the ending gets rushed into even worse crap. No new plots, characters stories like the other ST's and unlike the rest a known ending from the get go.

Remember this cast of losers? Kes, Neelix, Kim, Tom Paris, Chakotay, urrrggh… Even their Vulcan sucked!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	voyager-2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	15663

david
                    Last edited by david k; 05-19-2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Garth
                      Garth commented
                      Editing a comment
                      don't hold back tell us how you feel about this show

Originally posted by david k View Post

Well, that was in many ways the weakest series of the lot and for many not even a real Star Trek franchise. Unlike every other ST this one had only a single plot, "get home", the characters were flat, predictable and boring (hey that was JJ's ST movie !) and for good measure they added 7 of 9 to keep the 13 year olds happy. Like many other JJ tv series after a while the ending gets rushed into even worse crap. No new plots, characters stories like the other ST's and unlike the rest a known ending from the get go.

Remember this cast of losers? Kes, Neelix, Kim, Tom Paris, Chakotay, urrrggh… Even their Vulcan sucked!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n15663[/ATTACH]

david

To be fair, you have to divide Voyager in the first 2 or 3 seasons at which point they switched writers and the show became much, much better. I still love species 8472 from fluidic space and when the Borg tried to attack them. And 7 of 9 was great and her hunt for perfection episode. Voyager was actually pretty good the first season with what was going on in the Badlands, then waned.

Comment

I understand your concerns as a hard core Trekkie. There were clearly breaks with the time line and what went before especially with the last movie. I though the first JJ directed Into the Darkness was good but no where as good as what I consider the best Star Trek movie done to date First Contact.

I watched some of these other Star Trek series on line and honestly, most of them are painful to watch. And I followed how CBS/Paramount came down on Axanar. The Star Trek series book were more interesting.

Star Trek with Scot Bakula just sadly never took off for whatever the reason. They didn't seem to want to give it time to develop or find the best writing team say as the did with Voyager which became markedly better in the last three or so seasons.

We shall have to wait and see.

I agree most of the Fan made Star Trek is painful, bad acting, rubbish stories, poor effects but Continues and Phase Two have begun to progress past that stage and the more recent stories are reasonably good. Axanar if it ever gets made will I think be very good. Prelude is a bit forced in places, but overall very good.

I liked Enterprise but it was the later seasons that got going, and then it was killed off. I like Voyager and DS9 but its the original series I like most.

Probably my favourite Sci fi series is Babylon 5.
                      Main System: Sources - Digital - Moon Andromeda CDP, Esoteric P5/D5 SACDP, AMR DP777 DAC, Dell PC. Analogue - SME Model 20, Graham Phantom 1.5, Ortofon 7500, Technics 1200 (heavily modified), Triplanar 7, VDH Gold, Revox B77 2, various analogue tuners. Amplification - BAT VK52se pre, Passlabs Xono, Music Reference RM200 mk1, BAT VK75. Speakers - Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5. Tables - Clearlight Audio. Cables - Altlas, Audience, Analysis +, Wireworld, XLO. Mains -Dedicated Spur only.

Comment

• Garth
                        Garth commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I liked B5 and the spinoff show can not remember the name only lasted one year.

• SpectralMorn
                        SpectralMorn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was called Crusade, it was cancelled half way through the season. Several further attempts with B5 related material also failed, Legend of the Rangers and Lost Tales.

Am I the only one who liked ST:TNG?
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                      X