Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alrainbow
    replied
    At 62 genetics is my about 75 % of what will be. Again my guess.
    Mom 96 passed she outlived two husbands 3 boyfriends
    all 11 siblings
    all else on my dads side too.
    My dad died at 56 same age as my only sibling in fact most of his side went fast too.
    If had to do it over again now as it's now available a genetic test for predisposition effects. Why I could have exercised less and did more of what I like lol.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
    My Mother in Law has severe dementia Myles. She is 94. She showed early signs about 4 years ago. There is no one I know who lived a cleaner life. Low fat diet, ran and medaled in her age group many races including two or three NYC Marathons. Even had a short appearance in a Nike TV commercial and honored at a NYRR gala event. Played tennis too. Nevertheless here she is and she doesn’t know my wife, her own daughter. I read this article and I have read so many articles connecting diet and exercise to cancer, dementia, Alzheimer’s, etc. I think it’s case by case and random. I’m not in any way saying we shouldn’t eat well, exercise, and get plenty of sleep. In the end for many of us it comes down to genetics and the unknowns in the genome.
    Well there’s genetics and then there’s epigenetics.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in law. There’s a lot of interesting observations about aging and diseases — like cancer being a disease of aging too. Suffice it to say perhaps her lifestyle prevented the onset until a later age too.

Leave a comment:

• 1morerecord2clean
    replied
    My Mother in Law has severe dementia Myles. She is 94. She showed early signs about 4 years ago. There is no one I know who lived a cleaner life. Low fat diet, ran and medaled in her age group many races including two or three NYC Marathons. Even had a short appearance in a Nike TV commercial and honored at a NYRR gala event. Played tennis too. Nevertheless here she is and she doesn’t know my wife, her own daughter. I read this article and I have read so many articles connecting diet and exercise to cancer, dementia, Alzheimer’s, etc. I think it’s case by case and random. I’m not in any way saying we shouldn’t eat well, exercise, and get plenty of sleep. In the end for many of us it comes down to genetics and the unknowns in the genome.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    started a topic Two New Alzheimer Studies

Two New Alzheimer Studies

Non-drug interventions. Fascinating if results hold up to scrutiny.
    An encouraging study finds that there are things people can do — apart from taking drugs — that can lower the risk of dementia even among those with high risk genes
Working...
X