Do you ride (bicycles)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ride (bicycles)?

I've been busy with business and taking some classes at the university, so I haven't done much training this year. Been off the bike way too long. A few weeks back a friend calls and says lets do a brief credit-card bike tour in Montana. So with a few weeks to go, and finals, I squeezed in on 5 training rides, the longest at 39 miles on the flats, and couple of spinning classes. Hardly enough to consider myself fit and ready.

So last Tuesday I drove from Portland to Spokane and on Wednesday we drove to Jackson, Montana (in the Big Hole Valley). We rode a short 18 miles and spent the night in Wisdom. Next day was mild 37 miles to Wise River, mostly downhill with a tail wind. Perfect! We then had a 53 mile day to Dillon, again mostly downhill with a few little 1 mile climbs at 6-8%, but the final 12 miles was into a stiff quartering headwind of about 18mph.

I had mapped the route with my GPS, and we knew the last day of 48 miles was going to be the toughest with two passes to climb, the first with a steady ramp up at about 3-4% for about 13 miles, and a final pitch of about 6% for another five miles. The second was the highest at 7400ft, and it too had a tough climb at 6-8% for about 4 miles. The strong wind out of the southwest had not died down overnight, so 44 of the 48 miles was going to be dead into this headwind. It was one of the toughest days I ever had on the bike, mostly because I'd spent all the glycogen in my legs the day before (and because typically on a tour day 3 or 4 is the hardest as your body gets accustomed to the effort.) I wanted to quit before the climbing even started, just from the effort into the headwinds. But... I finished. I was completely spent.

Here's a few pics... the southwest portion of Montana is extremely sparsely populated, and in the Big Hole valley there are very, very few structures of any kind. Just miles and miles of wide open spaces, with a snow capped mountain range in the distance whichever way you look. And we caught the timing right as this is one of the greenest years many locals could remember. Rather than the hill sides being dried out and brown, the grasses still had some green in them. It was spectacular!

Etsuro Gold cartridge(mg), AMG v12 turntable w/ 12JT Turbo tonearm, bespoke LFD phono cable, CS Port C3EQM2 phono stage, dCS Rossini DAC, Roon ROCK, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref160M amps, Wilson Alexia (v1) speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata SigmaNR, Ztron Python power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Hey Bob, I do! ;-) Love your pics. I would love to ride out there.

So I used to do this:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Giant.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.3 KB ID:	57087

Now do this:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Yeti In the Snow.jpg Views:	1 Size:	546.1 KB ID:	57088

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nox.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	57090
    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

I do too but at 65 no longer looking for much climbing. Keeping my rides @ 25-40 flat. Now living in San Diego so don't show me snow shots.
      Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

I just started riding bicycles a month or so ago. It is an easy way to get around downtown and south Austin and the trails here are spectacular, running from the river to some hidden spots in the parks. The biking community here is very urban rider rather than racy Italian spandex (when we lived on River Road in Grandview, NY, we were the route for the hardcore cyclists who would blast by in long crocodiles of 50+ bikes, from the city to Bear Mountain (50 miles) and back).
        I found a funky old school bike shop in my neighborhood, and had already researched hybrids-- I found a Fuji that looked like a lot of bike for 500 bucks. They ordered it for me and set it up, along with a few accessories. I rode a couple days ago with my wife-- who also just got back into it, and she's a far better, stronger rider than me. (She's a serious rower, so she has that core/lower body strength). We rode the boardwalk south for a while, then cut past the new Oracle building, across a dam/locks with a very narrow sidewalk, then cut into East Austin, past a decommissioned power plant and headed west back to downtown, where we cut across the river, humped the hill on South Congress and stopped at Jo's for coffee.
        This was probably a ten mile ride, maybe less, but I could feel it, since we did hills and trails. (I don't like the skittery surface of trails, though I like the beauty of riding through hill and dale). This is fantastic exercise and a fun and efficacious means of transport, though a bit dangerous- the drivers here are texters driving Prius and workers driving trucks, a few 'glam babes' out shopping in the obligatory black Range Rover and the occasional motorcyclist. (I used to love motorcycles but I am afraid I'm getting too old).
        The seat is chewing my ass. I guess I could buy something padded, but isn't part of this to get tough? (Those Brooks seats look the part but I'm not that committed to spend several hundred on a bike seat). Call me a newbie. (Oh, it's also like 100 degrees here now, so riding can kick your ass-- our ride the other day was just before some weather so it was a mild high 80s F day--easy). I get why it is addicting.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
          1morerecord2clean commented
          Editing a comment
          Bill, try a Specialized saddle. They come in 3 widths for differ sized rears. Very comfy. Forget a sprung or soft cushy saddle. They will rub you raw. Get a good shop to check your fit and position on the bike which could well be off. Another very good saddle is Prologo.

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks, will do. the saddle that came with the Fuji is pretty barebones, but the bike is a hybrid, meant for city and trails. I'll research the brands you mention. I was told that the Brooks eventually conforms to your butt but other than being made by a UK company which has been in business forever, I'm not wedded to that brand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	57190 Yes...went high tech last year with a Trek Domane SLR (Project One) 62cm frame , Zipp 303 NSW Carbon Wheels, Dura-Ace 9000 group set. 16.5lbs. I try to ride 30-40 miles 3 times per week averaging 16 mph.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

• allenh
          allenh commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet steed, Christian. My first serious bike was a lower end Trek Madone, all Ultegra grupo.

No Di2?

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          The purest in me and the love of mechanical wrenching on my bike swayed me away from Di2. After getting caught out in the rain with rim brakes (Frickin' scary) my next build will be Di2 and disc brakes once the final disc brake design is sorted out and accepted by UCI.

You must be very tall Christian!
        https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          6'7"....

• Paul S
          Paul S commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, very tall!

Love riding, just need to get back to riding more!

Name:	2015-10-25 09.20.50.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	57212
        Attached Files
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
          Steve Lefkowicz commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm about 25 pounds lighter now than in this photo, which was taken about 10 weeks after my heart attack in 2015. I've had that Fuso for about 30 years,

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          that looks like FV near the 405 and Euclid.

• Steve Lefkowicz
          Editing a comment
          That's about right. This was a quick first ride after getting the okay from the doctor. I've put thousands of miles on the Santa Ana river trail over the past 35 years.

Looking at the fence, that is exactly where it is. Just after going under the freeway.
          Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 06-22-2017, 04:08 PM.

Just finished a nice MTB ride earlier this week. I gave up on road riding. At least on the trails there are no wayward motorist texting while driving.

Comment

• allenh
          allenh commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the primary reasons why I gave up road cycling recently (the other was to spend time w my son who loves MTBing). I see too many drivers texting while driving, drifting into other lanes, etc. Drives me nuts.

BTW, if anyone needs a small entry level road bike for a family member, I have a ten year old 49 cm Trek 1000 (bright orange) that I bought for my son when he was 13 that really only has about 200 miles on it. He loved riding and wanted to get into racing, but hockey took up all his time and he realized he didn't like riding in a crowd. I'll deliver it in SoCal. would like about $300 for it.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

I started biking again so I can take my boys on rides. we're blessed in So. Cal, we'll pack our bikes on the Thule and we're only 15 minutes from the beach, 90 mins from the high desert or sierras.

Comment

My secondary listening position. I bought this Cannondale R700 in the early 90s when I was riding metric and regular centuries. Over the years I got tired of rude drivers and Drs telling me to wear sunscreen. It hasn't been out of the barn for some time. Now I do 30 minute sprints 5 days a week trying to get my heart rate into the 130s.

Name:	bike 4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	57254

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
              Editing a comment
              Love the old fat tube Cannondales. Was going to buy an SR600 in hot pink (mid 80s) when I tried the hand built steel Fuso I bought instead. My wife has an RT800 touring bike (15 inch frame!!) that she really likes. As little, stiff and responsive as it is, it is still very comfortable for longer rides.

• RandyRobinson
              RandyRobinson commented
              Editing a comment
              I've put a lot of comfortable miles on it. By today's standards, 20 lbs is not that impressive. At the time, it was over 7 pounds lighter than my previous bike.

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
            Love riding, just need to get back to riding more!

Name:	2015-10-25 09.20.50.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	57212
            That's a very beautiful bike Steve. I've been riding for over 45 years including 4,000 miles last year so I know a nice one when I see it!.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! It's a 30th anniversary edition Dave Moulton Fuso, all Columbus SL and SP tubing. Surprisingly with all original issue Shimano 600SIS group (even with the Biopace chain rings) and first generation Look Pedals from the first shipment to California. Except for maintenance item (chains, tubes, tires, cables and stuff like that) it's all original. That's even a Look La Vie Claire team bag under the seat!

Used to put about 200 to 300 miles a week on it, as well as every organized century we could find.

Dave is in his 80s now and retired, but still maintains a bike registry for all his builds and still rides daily. There is an active Facebook group for owners of his bikes. I can't imagine ever riding anything else, though I would like to get the rear spaced to 130 mm and put a modern 22 speed with a compact chainring set and STI shifters on it. Some new wheels would be nice too.

Some pics attached of some of my bikes, been riding since young age though not as much as I used to. Mostly I have used Cannondale's, though my favourites are my Fondriest U107 Don Racer, (16lb with carbon tubs on) and my Felt AR1 which I built up with 11 spd Campag Record though the photo shows it when it had Ultegra.

I'm off out shortly on the Felt..
            https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

• BadBob
              BadBob commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow Paul, great pics of you on those climbs... on my bucket list and as I'm turning 60 soon I'd better make some arrangements... years slip by much too quickly so while I'm still able!

You've got a race number on your bike, and a chase group behind—what was the event?

• Steve Lefkowicz
              Editing a comment
              Love the Fondriest bike. Can't imagine riding those climbs. Never was much of a climber. Biggest climb I ever did was was from my old home to Big Bear Lake in SoCal (usually part of the Amgen Tour of California now). Getting there was only 44 miles, but about 7600 feet of climbing. Turning around and riding home was much more fun!

• Paul S
              Paul S commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bob, I look to fresh in that photo, 1st climb of the day so i probably was. That was a sportive known as the Marmotte, in the French Alps. Col du Glandon, Col du Telegraph, Col du Galibier, and finish up at Alp d'Huez, so 5000 metres of ascent in 8 hrs. Btw, the tour did 4600 in that brutal stage yesterday, but that was very fast racing. I've been fortunate to be able to get to these events and have done several Tour stages, which are always great fun, and tough. The atmosphere is fantastic, with quite a good turnout of US riders coming over to Europe to compete. I have not competed for some years now though, and road racing has been off the schedule for around 4 years too.

Steve, thanks, I am very fond of the Fondriest, It looks a bit different nowadays as it has some carbon tubs and Rotor chainset which I need to change back to Record carbon, didn't really gel with Rotor oval rings. It is a real good climbing bike though. Your ride out to Bear Lake sounds fantastic to me, I often see the Amgen ToC on TV here, your lucky to have such an amazing country to ride in. UK is not good, with small hills and really bad road surfaces.

I ride a Pinarello Paris cf road bike......yesterday I did 25, ...its 115 here in Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Stringreen View Post
              I ride a Pinarello Paris cf road bike......yesterday I did 25, ...its 115 here in Arizona
              almost impossible to stay hydrated under those conditions....
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Working...
              X