Embarking On A Exercise Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarking On A Exercise Program

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3862.JPG Views:	1 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	58677

Beginning a exercise and training program is never easy for it involves changing not one but many habits! Perhaps the biggest issue that I run across changing clients habits is that "knowledge doesn't change human behavior." Take that old adage that if someone doesn't want to do something they will come up with a million and one reasons why they don't want to do something. So using psychology to overcome these objections and get clients started on a healthy lifestyle is perhaps even more important than what I know about physiology, anatomy, writing training programs, etc. I thought I'd start with some of the most common questions that I encounter and later on get into how do I break down people's objections to coming to the gym.

So let's start with some things I hear on a regular basis in the gym.

It's not the right time to start training.
    Truth is there is no perfect time to start training. So now is as good as any!

What is the perfect diet?
    The best diet is the one you will stay on. A recent meta-analysis of all the diets out there done by John Berardi showed that the difference in weight loss from the best to worst in terms of weight loss was 3 pounds. The factor most closely associated with weight loss was compliance.

Caveat: weight loss is just one of the health factors when we talk about diets. For instance, diets may differ widely when it comes to how they affect our bodies anti-oxidant status. Some may promote inflammation (pro-inflammatory) and others inhibit (anti-inflammatory). More on the importance of this later.

What's the best exercise to do for [insert body part]?
    There is no perfect exercise. There's only the right exercise for the right person at the right time.

I'm too old to start exercising.
    There is no perfect age to start training. I've had people as old as 85 with no history of ever working out start training on a consistent two day a week schedule.

Here's something to consider. Studies show that the health risks of people who have never trained a day in their life drops to that of someone who has trained their whole life if they train consistently for two years.

In the end, there's one unifying theme among all these questions. Perfect. Perfection. Too often we strive for perfection when doing the best we can is good enough. We can't be perfect; and the gym is not a place where we should expect perfection for it is a learning experience. Where failure is a normal part of the learning process.

Remember: If you haven't ever failed, you haven't ever tried anything new!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Good advice Miles......got to sign off and get on my bike.....(its 117 here in Arizona)

Comment

Excellent advice. However in my experience there are people who will exercise regularly and those who won't. For those who won't, there is not much anyone can do to motivate them. It's a lifestyle choice.
      Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by mkuller View Post
        Excellent advice. However in my experience there are people who will exercise regularly and those who won't. For those who won't, there is not much anyone can do to motivate them. It's a lifestyle choice.
        Yes and no. Ten years we wrote theose people off. They just don't get it and never will. We can't any more given the obesity epidemic in this country. If we said 60 percent of Americans had cancer, we would have another war on cancer. But obesity is no different. Look at all the diseases associated with obesity - heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc.- not to mention morbidity. And it's not adults that we are talking about but children and adolescents too. The most recent generation is the first one in decades with a lower life expectancy. Diabetes is expected to reach epidemic proportions world wide by 2030. Not to mention the additional costs to the healthcare system. The medical bills of someone who is overweight is on average $2000 more per year.

No the answer is how to break down that resistance. Plus there are so many training modalities now available. But the key to everything is still based on movement.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          depends whose stats you read something like 55% of Californians are prediabetics, it increased 5 points in just 5 years and its accelerating! this is unacceptable. In the last two years i've lowered my AC1 significantly through diet and exercise. I feel lucky I was able to reverse this but many aren't as lucky. my wake up call came the day when my primary physician asked me what I was doing about my diabetes. I said "diabetes? what diabetes!?"

• mkuller
          mkuller commented
          Editing a comment
          I was under the impression that those who couldn't control their eating and were overweight had problems with impulse control - until I read this book. It has do with dopamine receptors in our brains and how the chemicals create pleasure for us. It's fascinating and holds hope for the future. The Compass of Pleasure by David Linden.

https://www.amazon.com/Compass-Pleas...easure+biology

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I also suggest reading this book about the food industry and their research labs. One of the many points includes food contains super elevated levels of these three ingredients compared to what we normally encounter in the real world and the brain changes that results.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...salt-sugar-fat

Does performing Manuel labor count for any excersise ? While maybe not cardio for the lack of raised heart rate.
        Is there any benifit overall. ?

i am told I am a diabetic too. I am a hypo glacimic not hyper. This happened in my mid thirties while I was over weight. For me my blood work is very good and my blood pressure is great at 110/70 if I take blood pressure meds a small amount each day. If I manage to loose it should be gone. As with no meds it's about 130 /80 or so. My heart rate is about 70 or so coffee or not.
        I did go to the gym for many years and ran for most of my life. Now with my new mental isssue I am being told I need to excersise yet again. At 60 do I care ? Yes I do and I must make a deal with my self. I feel i would
        benifit from it but fight to reason not to. So
        much to do little time to do it. I do some stuff in my
        place but no cardio and that is what I really loved doing.
        Running while watching movies or now audio
        books and music on tidal.
        Years ago i said of i ever hit the lottery I would hire a. Excersise coach and a cook to Eat right
        analog stuff.
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Our country is poisning us and now we pay big time to have food that is heathy. I buy organic almost everything at a high cost. Of course I wonder it's it really organic.
          I juice as well as smoothly each day. But does it matter.
          I can say I feel much better if I actually do Eat right.
          analog stuff.
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mkuller
            mkuller commented
            Editing a comment
            We are poisoning ourselves with processed foods and the chemicals they contain in our quest for convenience and saving time and money in our busy lives. There are farmers markets everywhere in the summer where you can get fresh, organic produce.

To Al's point, and the motivation to work out, I made a concerted effort to change my lifestyle about 6.5 years ago when I had to stop smoking. I figured my weight would balloon (partly due to the changes in body chemistry from getting off cigarettes, which can diminish appetite and the oral fixation thing, which is like using food as a substitute). As some others on the board know, I went hard-core paleo for several years, and worked out constantly, swam, walked, etc. I went from about 250 to under 180, but then got sick from something like Lymes, that totally kicked my ass for about a year or so.
          I do believe manual labor is great exercise--lifting requires not just strength but balance, bending, pushing, holding positions using body strength-are all things that are done in a gym or in a pilates class. The problem of motivation can be addressed in a couple of ways: first, change up the routine-- instead of going to the gym, I'll go for a bike ride (that kicks my ass now, but part of it is the heat here in the summer); I also think that endless humping on a treadmill is pointless. I got into a sort of interval thing which is intense and of short duration, with little down time in between different tasks- thus, speed board (unmotorized belt that is far more effective than a treadmill)- run my ass off as fast as possible for a specified duration, then to certain weights, or lunges, or pull ups or stairs, or machines, then back to the speed board for a longer burst, and keep the cycle of different tasks/exercises going.
          Walking is great, as is swimming.
          I'm at the gym less, doing more and feel pretty good.
          I love good food, but I've found smaller portions, more frequently, is better than large meals, and though I'm not paleo any more, I still shy away from the bread, pasta and cheese. (The two former items are some of my favorites).
          I am starting to feel the effects of age- I never had knee joint pain before, and now experience it occasionally. It is harder to burn off calories at 62 than at 32. And, I'm not able to tolerate things like caffeine the way I used to (in excess).
          Part of this is quality of life stuff for me-- some is simply vanity- I don't want to be a blob with a belly- and some of it is just a good release for stress. I think, even if you find something you like doing, you have to change it up for the activity to continue to be effective. I'd much rather ride a bicycle than use a bike machine in a gym. I'd much rather walk on the street than use a treadmill.
          The other thing that seems to be in vogue now is all the fascia rolling, muscle warm up stuff and stretching--but it does work. Particularly for weight lifting, to open up and be able to rely on the muscles that need to be trained rather than using other muscles that my body would be prone to relying upon. (Doing a pull up using core rather than shoulder muscles).
          I certainly don't have the credentials Myles does, but I've spent enough time around gyms to know that you can do it right or spend lot's of time and really accomplish very little. I will get a sort of brush up hour here and there from a trainer when I feel I'm plateauing, to learn something new or figure out why what i'm doing isn't effective. That really helps, it isn't like a regular scheduled routine with a trainer (I don't need that to show up), but more a helpful guide to the next or different step. I watch the cross-fit dudes and dudettes, and they amaze me. Some of the women are petit, but can deadlift more weight than I can-- part of it is body strength, but part of it is balance and discipline.
          I still want to take a Krav Maga class.

Comment

I have been fortunate. I gained a little weight as a college undergrad. Caught myself in a full length mirror and decided it had to come off. Began a running program of my own making, before Jim Fix wrote his book I might add and I began to eat right. I had some vegetarian years but have maintained a balanced diet over time. Biggest weakness has always been ice cream but I counter that by not keeping it in the house. So 20 years of running and now 20 years of biking. Seems to me that you have to do something you like to do so the exercise/work aspect of it becomes enjoyment. Just as audio is enjoyable and leads to more of it. Now at almost 66 I ride 2-3 times each week, nothing more than 35 miles each time with less than 1,000 feet of climbing each ride. I walk 3 miles mostly flat one day. Again, I started young and even with work and winter I managed to maintain it. I am small so I have not had the problem big men might have to do the things I do. I have been fortunate. I don't know how you motivate young people who seem so motivated by computers, telephones, and the internet. In the end I think it's the person who makes his future with diet and exercise. Education and talk might motivate some but work, winter, and family are great de-motivators.
            TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
            Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

I think excersize was never something I liked even when I went to the gym for many years 6 days a week. It was something I convinced myself was a high priority having children and a bad family history. At my peak I could do a 5 min mile and a 5 k in under 19 mins.
              I never gained real mass but could bench 250 for many reps meaning ten or more. I think my running stoppoed size but I really don't know. I ran 5 days a week doing 2 days one off and so on. On days when I ran and worked out I was there almost three hours. On an ELIptical machine I burned over 800 calories in about 45 mins. I always ran with a heart monitor even Before the gym. I had my resting heart rate down to 45 or so. At peaks in the gym above 180 for short durations then back down to about 160. I was the nut that ran with headphones and using my arms to play air drums. I did this to increase my heart rate
              my rpm was fast and breaks on as well to get the heart rate up. My point is I am ill and two frontiers to ponder now. One terminal and the other mental lol. What to do. For the immediate future I plan to work out in my room
              small dumb bells , kettle and various rubbber bands with handles and an attachment to the ceiling. Also a giant ball that is great for a stretching my back. My ten year old who is very fit for sports now can beat me in sprints just this year and I have not ran for about one year. Some say if you add up in a lifetime of how much life you used doing it
              and compare it to extending your life from it does it matter.
              I was of the camp yes as it added quality of life and at 60
              it did. Now extending life well I have my own view of that one. My present wife who is 5 years older than me goes to the gym 4 days a week and has a coach a must for her that I demanded. Goals are important but staying within the cards we are dealt is more important.
              Up until this new disorder I was done with excersise now it looks like I'll be back again. But know this I don't like it
              never did and never will. And yes the high of enorfins was great for all of 5 mins after about 5 mins of running. The other 40 mins or so was just do what was to be done on that days workout.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                I think exersize was never something I liked even when I went to the gym for many years 6 days a week.
                I have to say reading all this sounds a little more like work than fun. For me, it's never been about exercise. I think the key to staying healthy is finding something you love to do and not taking it to excess by varying your activity so that it doesn't become routine. Oh, and turn off all those monitors a couple of times a week. Also, for me, I know I can't exercise indoors, and I get bored with my own company so the workout needs a social component sometimes.

I can't say I'm particularly good at keeping it fun. My main love, cycling, has come close to killing me a few times. I currently have an issue that prevents me from riding and has kept me off the bike since February. I have a pool, but I'm not allowed to swim either, so I've taken up walking and may join a trail club so I can meet some new people. NOT being able to ride a bike is driving me crazy, but I'm trying to figure out something else to do so I enjoy it. In the meantime, I'm driving my wife crazy....

Comment

I have been exercising as long as I can remember. As a kid I used to spend the summers in the local swimming pool. When I got out of college in the 1970s I used to jog a few times a week because it made me feel good. In the 1980s when my knees and hips started feeling it, I switched to the gym 3 days a week.

Today I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of stretching, abs and weights. When I retire in a couple of years, I plan to fill in the other mornings with a yoga class to maintain flexibility and balance.

I've made a lot of friends at the gym over the years so it's also a social thing. I go in the morning before work and we watch CNN on the ellipticals and comment about politics. On the weight machines we talk travel and movies.

Exercise in the morning gives me energy and gets my metabolism going so I can eat more and drink wine on the weekends. During the week I try to eat healthy and don't drink so I'll sleep better. My weight hasn't varied more than 10lbs since I got out of college - it has just changed where it's located.
                  Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

At 69 (today!) I do Les Mills light weights workout for an hour every other day. I walk between two and four miles almost every day, weather permitting and with varying routes. Living in Colorado, we don't have much flat land and half the walk is downhill and half uphill. Those uphills really get me breathing!

Comment

• Slowgeezr
                      Slowgeezr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very true. We're somewhere between 6500 ' and 7000'. When I first moved here, it was difficult breathing while walking, especially uphill. Walks were short, but I just kept pushing. I think I'm fully acclimated to the altitude now!

• 1morerecord2clean
                      1morerecord2clean commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s pretty good altitude. Just getting to the refrigerator could be taxing.

• Slowgeezr
                      Slowgeezr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha ha, it was never that bad! Now, going up to the top of Pikes Peak, yeah, it's bad up there!

Happy Birthday slow geezer. I turned 69 last October. I feel great but I have decreased mileage logged on my bike while inserting a 4 mile walk at least once each week.
                    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

• Slowgeezr
                      Slowgeezr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! We're getting older, but we're still moving, so that's good!
                  Working...
                  X