Absolute Insanity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute Insanity?

They aren't kidding. My Galaxy S8+ cost $800; the S5 or something before $75.

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Will people just switch to FaceTime or Skype on their iPads or tablets? Consumers will be real demanding of new phones and they better offer real technological upgrades, not some different bells and whistles.
    Tim Cook, chief executive officer of Apple Inc., speaks at an event in San Francisco. When U.S. wireless carriers started winding down their heavy smartphone subsidies a few years back, many Americans kicked the new-model-every-two-years habit that had become routine early in the iPhone era. Those who didn’t have had to accept prices ticking slowly higher as Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. try to outdo one another with cooler features. But both companies have been loath to cross one price
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

It's a cult.

Comment

Your S5 cost $75 because U.S. carriers subsidized the handset and held you to a 2-year contract and then charged more monthly. Now, the S8 costs you $800 because when the carriers stopped subsidizing the handset, they sold less handsets and the declining volume pushed up the prices of individual handsets. If you don't feel compelled to get the latest and greatest, this actually works out better for you because you pay less per month. If you do need to get the latest and the greatest, then you pay for the privilege of having all the newest bells and whistles.

I still use the S6, it does its job for me. And I pay much less monthly than all my friends around the world. I also get world-wide data roaming (hugely expensive for subscribers outside the US) as part of my low monthly business/family subscription.

It's the same problem in the High End industry. If you feel compelled to upgrade your components every year to get the latest "Cover model", then it will cost ya. Because of declining volume, the latest cover models are going up and up in price. But if you buy something that you will love for the next 10, 20 years then amortized over the time of ownership, that model becomes really affordable. Declining volume, rising prices and shorter model lifecycles will work to kill the industry.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        When Verizon stopped subsiding phones, my monthly bill stayed the same. I waited three months for a "special deal" to get iPhone SEs for my wife and me for $10/month.
        Plus, only reason I needed to upgrade is Apple insisted on constantly trying to load an incompatible upgrade on my older 5c that otherwise still worked fine. Every time it would use up all my memory, and require me to reset my phone to regain a minimal but usable amount.

• Metamatic
        Metamatic commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved my S6. The camera on it is sensational as well. BUT, the battery sucks big time. I upgraded to the S8 and the battery is really good. I prefer the S6 camera tbh for overall pq, although the S8 is faster .

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you on the S6, had mine since the summer of '15. only shortcoming are certain business apps and 'frequent flyer' type iphone only apps that accumulate rewards.

A high-end iPhone? What, with encrusted diamonds? Or wired internally with 6-9s OFC copper? 😉

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/tech...ent/index.html
      Live from Apple's new HQ, a first look at all the big iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple TV announcements.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Nah, it's got some "must have" features- like facial recognition to unlock the phone. You will see an uptick in decapitations as a result. (Anyone carrying a bowling ball bag will be suspect).
        Plus wireless charging. Wow. Apparently you need a mat to lay it on- so you'll see all these people carrying around those yoga mat things rolled up over their shoulder. Far more convenient than plugging the thing in.
        I'm gonna go to the Apple Store now and start waiting in line.

Comment

The iPhone 8s is the same $699 that the iPhone 6s was, so it will be interesting to compare sales of the 3 models (the 2 iPhone 8s models and the X) over the next year or so. Don't overlook the fact that Samsung's top phone is also near $1k, $930 I think.
          Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
          Pass Labs INT60
          Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
          REL S3
          Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
          Torus IS5

Comment

Most of their target audience only has a phone as a content consumption device. When you only have one screen it's fairly easy to justify upgrading to the latest and greatest. Several friends don't even have a computer at home any more, only at work. Their phone is their one and only portable device.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
            They aren't kidding. My Galaxy S8+ cost $800; the S5 or something before $75.

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Will people just switch to FaceTime or Skype on their iPads or tablets? Consumers will be real demanding of new phones and they better offer real technological upgrades, not some different bells and whistles.
            Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

• Bill Hart
              Bill Hart commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair point. I need a real keyboard. I suck at typing on little handheld devices. I was real good with thumbs on the blackberries of old, but perhaps it's the virtual keyboard size and lack of manual dexterity on my part.
              Unfortunately I drank the Apple kool aid a while ago and most of our devices are Steve jobs. Need a new power adapter, because the one I use won't fit my wife's laptop- that will be 90 bucks. How about an adapter to plug a Mac Air into the ethernet- another extra. When this one goes, --and I should store off all my photos and other stuff before that happens- I would like to make a change.
              Re phones, I need one that is not smart- more developmentally challenged or whatever the PC term is--
              Phone- OK, email, yep, Text, sure, everybody seems to communicate that way, instead of by email. A GPS map- good. Contacts and Calendar.
              Camera- sure. What else do I really need to function remotely? I don't need to do banking with Siri. Or shop for new apps by merely thinking about them. Stripped down. Some of the apps that come installed cannot be deleted. I hid them on a second home page of the phone. I do have a db meter installed though. Helpful, though i'm not sure how accurate it is.

I see those prices and laugh. My new phone cost $20 plus tax.

I see more and more phone zombies replacing human beings every day but can't decide if it is an insidious shadow government mind control plot or the precursor to an alien invasion. Thousands tens of thousands, millions of former individuals wandering aimlessly oblivious to external stimuli, and desperately trying to impress someone/anyone with the meals they are about to consume.

Smartphones, the new Body Snatchers. New movie concept anyone?

Comment

• Beaur
              Beaur commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe it's a by product of living in a large city all these years but distracted behavior cannot be blamed on phones/devices alone. I've seen people walking down the sidewalks with a cup of coffee in one hand and a folded newspaper in the other, reading and sipping away.

I want one
            Disclosure:
            Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
            Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
            [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

• Beaur
              Beaur commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll take the second generation. When they can't get the face demo to work the first time at the launch that throws a bit of a "not ready for prime-time" vibe out. Have to say if they have made the camera better than my 7+ that would be impressive.

Who else finds it ironic that on an Internet board of posters with music playing equipment costing 5 and 6 figures (if not 7) there are objections to a useful everyday multi-tool costing $1k?
            Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
            Pass Labs INT60
            Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
            REL S3
            Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
            Torus IS5

Comment

• Bill Hart
              Bill Hart commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair. But the parts I recoil against are the hype, the lack of meaningful innovation in favor of features that aren't important and the zombie like following that the product/company enjoy. Perhaps the same things can be said about high fi.

• Rust
              Rust commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a lot to say about six and seven figure components, most of it acerbic. Generally I keep most of those comments to myself so as not to ruffle the feathers of those easily offended and in need of a safe place. Occasionally my filter slips a little though.

• nc42acc
              nc42acc commented
              Editing a comment
              Very ironic indeed!!!

I'll be one of the first in line (figuratively speaking, online in line) for the iPhone X. Can't help myself.
            Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
            Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
            Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
            Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
            Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
            Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
            Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
            Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
            Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
            CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
            Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
            Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
            Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
            Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
            Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
              Who else finds it ironic that on an Internet board of posters with music playing equipment costing 5 and 6 figures (if not 7) there are objections to a useful everyday multi-tool costing $1k?
              it came to my mind immediately. if you consider the hundreds of millions of dollars (if not more than a billion) spent to get the technology you're holding in your hand for a paltry 1k bucks, its actually a bargain. by comparison the very cutting edge of high audio is the technical equivalent of a child's tinker toy set.
              Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Valvet | Wadia | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a

Comment

The improvements are meaningful to me, since I use the phone as a working tool as well, to read/write email, sites, etc. So the bigger/better screen is very welcome, and I have a 7 Plus already.
                I've stopped carrying around a camera within the first couple of iPhone generations, while before I was upgrading cameras every year or so... So that's a meaningful improvement as well...
                For $200 extra (over the 8 Plus), the X is worth it (to me).
                I'd rather buy products from a company with a passionate following than a company that nobody cares for...

Disclosure:
                Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
                Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
                [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

I still have my 10 year old Samsung Rugby flip phone.

My Toyota Tundra pickup is nearing 11 years and 460,000 Km (don't know what that's in miles).

But I also have a Tzar DST cartridge mounted to a Schroeder BA tonearm. My speaker crossover parts are over $15K US.

I have a cousin with close to a $1 mil in Tourbillon watches.

A few Uncles blow $100K per annum at the track (and they think I'm crazy).

My son gets every new phone as soon as it comes out (and he wants ME to help him with his down payment).

Don't get me started on my wifes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,needs.

Comment

I suppose if you can afford the toys you want, buy them.

Comment

Working...
                    X