Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest athlete you've seen live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw LeBron James his rookie year (he was 18 years old) when he played for Cleveland and they were in Seattle playing the then Seattle Sonics, I was sitting courtside under the basket and you could tell he was different. no one that big should be able to jump that quick. saw Jordan play a few times, LeBron was the better pure athlete. competitor? different question.

Bill Russell lives near where I work, and for a few years got to know him a little as his cousin and nephew were customers of mine and he would come pick them up from service and we would talk. down to earth to talk to, a real person. he's not the greatest athlete, but maybe the greatest winner of all time.

saw Bo Jackson run over Brian Bosworth.

saw Carl Lewis once and Tiger a few times.

caddied for Sam Snead once (he was in his late 60's). despicable racist (considered punching him in the nose when he told a racist joke in the locker room--in 1968), but could still touch his toes with his legs straight at almost 70 years old.

you can say what you want about Alex Rodriguez; he was other-worldly in physical talent as a young player for the Mariners and would just take over ballgames. and he played a great shortstop. imagine Mike Trout as a great shortstop with even more power. and there was this other guy Ken Griffey on that same team that was not chopped liver. but A-Rod was another level beyond Griffey (at that time with Griffey in his prime and A-Rod just reaching his). another guy on that team, Randy Johnson, might be the most intimidating pitcher physically of all time. it was un-fair what he could do to hitters. sold him a car once for his mother-in-law and met him briefly. he was a jerk and was nasty to my salesperson. interestingly when I traded in my Wilson WP5's for my 6's, they sold my 5's to Randy Johnson who had them shipped to Arizona for his home there.

Comment

The memorable ones:

Stan Musial, right in front of our outfield seats in St Louis. My first baseball game.

Chuckie Williams, amazing outside shooter for KSU before the 3 point line, Gave him a ride to work, He worked for me for 2 weeks to pay off a debt.

Lon Kruger player and later coach, played with Chuckie and Mike Evans. The house he lived in when he coached had a basketball court (1/2) in the basement. I don't recall how high the ceilings were. I just remember walking down the steps and seeing a huge space with a regulation height goal.

Catfish Hunter receiving an elephant at Yankee Stadium. Our seats were 2nd row behind the Yankee dugout that day.

Talking to Bret Saberhagen outside the condo in Orlando. Many of the Royals stayed there during spring training but I didn't see any others.

George Brett storming out of the dugout at the Pine Tar game

Comment

Usain Bolt.
      Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
        I played golf until the late 1970s. Saw in person and followed for many holes names like Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player to name a few. Stood next to Kareem Abdul-Jabber on an elevator in Philadelphia, saw Dr J play some ball on the court in my gym after he was retired, Stan Musial, the Boyer Bros, Willie Mays, to name a few in baseball. My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt on Wacker Ave in Chicago years ago and Yogi Berra and several players got on the elevator with us when he was managing Houston and in town for a game. Saw Reggie Jackson signing autographs in McCormick center in Chicago at a convention.
        Lou Gehrig is a fellow college alumni as is another baseball hall of famer Eddie Collins.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaur View Post
          Usain Bolt.
          As they say, sprinters have a PHD in motor control.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Living in New York and being a sports nut afforded me unlimited access to sports legends.

As a kid, my first little league trip was to old Connie Mack Stadium in Philly in 1964 and got to see future hall of famer Jim Bunning shut out the Mets 6-0. Later on saw Willie Mays at the end of his career playing with the Mets.

As far as Yanks go: everyone since 1976. Reggie, Jeter, ARod, Mariano, Guidry, etc. Plus a lot of visiting teams that don't even remember.

Not so much with Rangers or Knicks but did see among others Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Giacomon, etc.

Greatest coach I ever met: Joe Lapchick, basketball legend, played with the Celtics, coached St. Johns and the Knicks. He taught me how to swim one summer. Too bad he couldn't have taught me to be 7 ft tall!

Greatest athlete in a minor sport: Peter Westbrook in fencing. Competed against Peter since HS and he went on to be greatest US fencer of all time winning 12 championships in sabre and a bronze medal in the '84 Olympics in LA. Peter went on after he retired (he was the kid of an American GI and Japanese women who grew up in Newark, NJ and went to now long gone but legendary NJ HS Essex Catholic [home to miler Marty Liquori, Rick Cerone, Bob Moliinaro, Mark Murro and a Olympic class field thrower whose name escapes me] to found with the help of corporate donations the Peter Westbrook foundation, a home and fencing academy to many kids in Harlem. I think they've sent 12 or 15 kids to the Olympic in fencing and more to the world championships where they've won quite a few medals.

http://www.peterwestbrook.org/

Now working in a gym, have also had the chance to rub elbows with Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, ARod, Jason Williams (nicest guy but sad ending), Charles Oakley, Serena Williams and Dara Torres.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
              Steve Lefkowicz commented
              Editing a comment
              Ed Giacomin was why I became a goalie. My dad got to know Gilles Villemure since in the off season he raced trotters or pacers, often at Vernon Downs, and my dad had his own private parking space there!

I forgot Bill Walton. He lives here in San Diego and I have sat beside him on my bike. The shop I use in La Jolla built his bike for him. It’s so big and tubing so immense that it looks deformed.
            TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
              1morerecord2clean commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Mercx and LeMond. They wish they had Walton cutting the wind in front when they rode.😆

• dcc
              dcc commented
              Editing a comment
              It was 50 years ago when Merckx won his first Tour de France. To celebrate this, the Tour will start from his home town.

• 1morerecord2clean
              1morerecord2clean commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh thanks didn’t know that. Haven’t thought much about the tour other than the route. I’ve given up in team changes. Too many new ones to keep up. Watching the World track races. My favorite kind of racing. Then looking forward to Spring Classics. Paris Nice is soon.

Although I never saw him live, one guy I would have loved to have seen in action in person is PBA pro bowler Mark Roth. He really cranked up the spin rate on those old hard balls yet could control himself for the spares,.,,
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Two more:
              1. when my son was 14 he was invited to try out for the St. Louis Jr. Blues 93 birth year AAA team. We spent four days there while he skated two-a-day tryouts. For about an hour I got to sit in the stands next to hall-of-fame defenseman Al McInnis, who was a coach at that club. It started with him commenting on how little my son was (5'3" at the time, the next shortest goalie was 5'8" and two were already 6' tall). But we chatted about hockey, goaltending, the changes in the game over the years, and other stuff. nicest thing he said was my son was the only goalie there that could actually control a rebound.

2. Mike Babcock - he was friends with one of the parents whose kid was a teammate of my son in youth hockey for several years. In the summers i used to run a special training/tournament team and got to play a game against a summer team from the Junior Ducks that Babcock was coaching. We won 3-1, so my coaching record is 1-0 vs NHL coaches! When he later was coaching in Detroit, our team was there for a big tournament and Babcock invited our whole team to Joe Louis Arena for a tour and to watch a Red Wings practice (otherwise closed to the public). I got to sit in Gordie Howe's and Steve Yzerman's locker stalls (they actually brought Gordie's locker stall from the Olympia when they moved). And we all got to meet the whole team.
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              --------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Working...
              X